“Excellent”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: On Embarcadero between Mission and Clay St.
Transit: The Ferry building is served by public transportation: Muni, Golden Gate Transit, Bart, F Train. Ferry service is available with Golden Gate Ferry, Blue and Gold Fleet and Bay Link Ferries. For more information, visit www.transitinfo.org and www.sfport.com
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was one of the best overall restaurants ... the food, the service, the presentation! Slight problem when we ordered a bottle of wine but the issue was solved and we were given a complimentary appetizer for our disappointment. We were fortunate to have a window table overlooking the Oakland Bay Bridge and even though the tables were close to one another conversations were not overheard! Call for reservations!!!

• Korean first
“Mistake”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My Mother who was visiting SF wanted to dine and see the lights on The Bay Bridge. A friend suggested the Slanted Door- mistake number one. I had a reservation and clearly stated I wanted a table so we could see the lights. They promised that would happen. When we arrived they chose to give us a table that was not good to see the lights. Their mistake. Bad when you start off wrong. The next issue was the intense noise in the place. I have normal hearing and could not converse with my son, mother or sister. The food was too salty, if we did not want to get out of their so quickly, I would have sent my entree back. The experience was not pleasurable and made worse by spending $300 for dinner for 4 people with one of their lowest priced bottles of wine. Go elsewhere!

2 Thank suz b
San Francisco, California
“One of the best meals in the city”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you know you will be in SF it's worth booking ahead for a table here. Great vibe, food, view, cocktails....

Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California
“ALWAYS one of the best in San Francisco's multi faceted dining scene”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the prettiest of all the Slanted Door locations; has great cocktails as well, but the food is stellar though expensive.

Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
“Fresh Ingredients, Interesting Spin, Flavorful Meal”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Overall I'd give Slanted Door a 3.5. The ingredients are fresh, the presentation is pleasing and the view is nice, even on a foggy day.

I took my boss and his fiance to this place because they were visiting from Saigon. Yes, both are native Vietnamese and were interested in trying American Vietnamese dishes. The had already been to two other places on their own and were disappointed. (I can attest, while I do not have their discriminating palate - even I was a bit disappointed w/the food here after returning from Saigon). So I wanted to take them to Slanted Door, not only because it's famous and well thought of by San Franciscans, but also because I had gone there once before and enjoyed my meal.

We walked over on a Wednesday afternoon and were seated immediately. Afternoons during the week are apparently the best time to come. Not crowded at all. Our service was prompt and courteous. I enjoy being left alone more than most so to me it was just the right amount of attention.

I let my boss select the menu - he wanted to try the most traditional dishes he could find and perhaps some that were popular. We got

-pho bo, vietnamese beef soup, prather ranch london broil, brisket, wide rice noodle
-slanted door spring rolls, gulf shrimp, pork, mint, peanut sauce
-grass-fed estancia shaking beef, cubed filet mignon, watercress, red onion, lime sauce
-caramelized catfish claypot, cilantro, ginger, thai chili

The most authentic dish they had was the Pho Bo. The broth was pleasant and the beef had a nice texture to it. The noodles were...different. Not bad, but a bit unusual. Still, both my boss and his fiancee proclaimed that it was a well prepared dish and they enjoyed it a lot. The verdict on this dish, pretty authentic and great flavors. Must try!

Next we had the spring rolls and I was surprised to learn that they had added an unusual ingredient to it. Mayonnaise, or at least what tasted and looked like mayo. Our table was split on this dish. While we all agreed it was quite tasty, the mayo mixture was a give or take for some. Luckily it's not overwhelming so you could eat it and not be worried. My boss was so-so on it, but his fiancee liked this version of spring rolls better! She said it was creamier than usual. So there you go! The verdict on this dish, not as authentic, but possibly better than the original.

We moved onto the Shaking Beef with some jasmine rice. My boss told me the story behind this dish and then we dug in. While the quality of the beef is fantastic, he was not as impressed with the flavors. I have to stop here and say that all the flavors here, while delicious are very muted for a southeast asian palate so just keep that in mind when bringing friends from SE Asia here. I love beef so I was happy and his fiancee seemed to enjoy it as well. If you take this dish as just a beef dish with onions, etc - then it's great. If you're trying to compare it to Shaking Beef back in Saigon - certain flavors are missing and it doesn't stand out as much. The verdict, delicious on its on, but it doesn't hold up to the original.

Last was the catfish which had a hot and sweet taste to it. I had this dish in Saigon and I have to say, I was disappointed. I realize these flavors have to be toned down, but this does not compare at all to original. Hot is supposed to be HOT. I barely felt any heat and I think because they used a clay pot instead of a stone pot the catfish could sizzle as it should. Again, ingredients are top notch so it makes the dish taste very good. If you're comparing it to the original however, you'll be disappointed.

So we came away pleased with Slanted Door. The ingredients were very fresh. The servers were pleasant. The view was great. The drinks were good, but the pricing is a bit expensive.

It's definitely worth a visit and even if your friends are from Saigon, I'd say they'd still enjoy the food - just make sure to let them know this is a "Modern" spin on some of their classic dishes!