“Fun, Filling and Yummy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropisueno

Tropisueno
Ranked #177 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Mission Street and Market Street
Transit: Tropisueno is close to BART, MUNI, and taxis of course.
London, United Kingdom
“Fun, Filling and Yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My partner has asked me to make a clear note that 'The beer was very nice there.'

We went along at lunchtime to book a table but they were busy serving take away burritos and mexican food so we called and reserved. Again even though we went on a monday night it was bustling with all diferent types of people (young, old, groups, families, couples, business people.)

We went for a selection of dishes all of which were lovely and full of flavour. We picked some spicy dishes which lived up to their name!

Even though there were suits here this was a really informal dinner for us, there was a chilled out fun atsomosphere and the food was very authentically mexican opposed to the commercial restaurants were you receive flavouless fajitas!!

• Visited November 2012

San Francisco, California
“Good locaton, cocktails, food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'm glad that there are a few more good, modern restaurants near 4th st and Market. Tropisueno is one of them. It's got a lively atmosphere, good food, and good drinks.

Since it's conveniently located between the Moscone Center / SOMA area and the Union Square shopping area -- it does get crowded but not uncomfortably so. i had tried unsuccessfully to drop in to Tropisueno two times before, so this time i made a reservation.

As seems required these days in San Francisco, they have a multi-page menu of "mixologist" cocktails, including a full page of margaritas. The ones we had (Margarita de la Casa, Tropisueno) were good, and not too sweet. I also tried a drink from the sparkling wine menu (tequila, cava, and some sort of bitters). It was good but not as good as the margarita.

I enjoyed my salmon, which was perfectly baked in a banana leaf, and served with grilled pasilla peppers and onions. My husband enjoyed his pork dish. The dishes come with ample beans and rice, which we took home and were eating for two days after.

All in all, a fun successful dining experience.

• Visited February 2013
“Simply delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Loved Tropisueno. Newly arrived in San Francisco, it was recommended by the concierge at our hotel. When we arrived, the place was jumping on a quiet evening everywhere else. Warm and cosy, the food is to die for! I could have prdered so much frpm this menu and the portions are really generous.Wait staff are prompt and friendly but dont hover. Would go back in a blink.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“I had HIGH expectations...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am the toughest of critics. I was hoping for the best ever, it turned out to just be real good. My sampler of tostadas were just good. My wife's salmon plate w/rice n beans was outstanding. Dessert menu was lacking so we left early.

San Francisco, California
“Nice Folks, Can't Honestly Recommend the Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This restaurant is between Mission and Market, convenient to downtown. Fun surroundings and very nice people, but the food is mediocre - gigantic portions, heavy, greasy, salty. My wife's mole chicken portion was huge, drowning in a gluey sauce. And even though I was there 48 hours ago, I find I cannot remember what I had! And don't get me started on the salt. Maybe the seviches would be a better option; I believe Mexican food has progressed beyond this, though.

• Visited January 2013