“Good locaton, cocktails, food”
Review of Tropisueno

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Mission Street and Market Street
Transit: Tropisueno is close to BART, MUNI, and taxis of course.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'm glad that there are a few more good, modern restaurants near 4th st and Market. Tropisueno is one of them. It's got a lively atmosphere, good food, and good drinks.

Since it's conveniently located between the Moscone Center / SOMA area and the Union Square shopping area -- it does get crowded but not uncomfortably so. i had tried unsuccessfully to drop in to Tropisueno two times before, so this time i made a reservation.

As seems required these days in San Francisco, they have a multi-page menu of "mixologist" cocktails, including a full page of margaritas. The ones we had (Margarita de la Casa, Tropisueno) were good, and not too sweet. I also tried a drink from the sparkling wine menu (tequila, cava, and some sort of bitters). It was good but not as good as the margarita.

I enjoyed my salmon, which was perfectly baked in a banana leaf, and served with grilled pasilla peppers and onions. My husband enjoyed his pork dish. The dishes come with ample beans and rice, which we took home and were eating for two days after.

All in all, a fun successful dining experience.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Loved Tropisueno. Newly arrived in San Francisco, it was recommended by the concierge at our hotel. When we arrived, the place was jumping on a quiet evening everywhere else. Warm and cosy, the food is to die for! I could have prdered so much frpm this menu and the portions are really generous.Wait staff are prompt and friendly but dont hover. Would go back in a blink.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am the toughest of critics. I was hoping for the best ever, it turned out to just be real good. My sampler of tostadas were just good. My wife's salmon plate w/rice n beans was outstanding. Dessert menu was lacking so we left early.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This restaurant is between Mission and Market, convenient to downtown. Fun surroundings and very nice people, but the food is mediocre - gigantic portions, heavy, greasy, salty. My wife's mole chicken portion was huge, drowning in a gluey sauce. And even though I was there 48 hours ago, I find I cannot remember what I had! And don't get me started on the salt. Maybe the seviches would be a better option; I believe Mexican food has progressed beyond this, though.

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Maybe I'm a hick from out of town, but I thought this place was great. No background music - hooray! Friendly wait staff. Fast service, but not like they want to rush you out! Doggiebag portions. Buzzing, big, young crowd on a Sunday night. House Margaritas are not sickly sweet. Chile Verde was so good. Please try it. The meat fell apart with just a fork. My stomach thanks the kitchen, one and all.