“Highly recommended!!!!”
Review of The Dakota Hotel

The Dakota Hotel
Ranked #195 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been travelling all over the West Coast for a couple of months now, and this is surely one of the best places I have been to! The location is amazing, walking distance from anything you might want to visit and very well connected. It is in the center of the city, so there are a lot of places to eat and drink around. I had a room on the 7th floor and the view was literally amazing.Everything was very clean, rooms have tv and fridge. The bathroom was clean, with shower and tube and everything is in an exquisite San Francisco victorian style.
I really enjoyed breakfast, you have choice of jams, chocolate, bread, porridge, fruits, coffee and more and it is a buffet breakfast, so all you can eat!!! Internet is fast,I finally could have a good chat with my friends on Skype. There are also free computers to use if you don't have any laptop. The staff is helpful and friendly,they made me feel totally at home. Everybody knows the city by heart and I have been suggested some great places that I am sure I would not have found if they hadn't told me. Special thanks to Liz who sent me to the best pizza place in town! The hotel has also 24h reception and it is super safe. It is a great value both for the area and the service provided. Highly recommended to all kinds of travellers!

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor are quieter and have a breathtaking view of the city
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Dakota hotel during my stay in SF and had to leave a review after my experience. The hotel is in central downtown just 2 blocks from union sq and all of the city lights. Public transport is easily accessible from the hotel, with cable cars, the muni and bart all within minutes of the hotel, bringing everywhere in SF within reach. The rooms are spacious, super clean and fantastic for the price. I stayed in another hotel within a block of the Dakota and found it to be subpar in comparison and vastly higher in expense. The Dakota staff are wonderful and always at hand no matter what hour to lend a hand. The hotel itself is beautiful and rustic and the ornate elevator is something to see! looks like something out of the movies. Id definitely recommend the hotel, with the nights they put on for no extra charge to entertain the guests (trivia night, poker night, wine and cheese free!) and the free breakfast in the morning, you really cant pick a better place for the price.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are biggest, however, all of the rooms in the dakota are pretty big. They are clean...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a week and really enjoyed it. The location is unbeatable; just blocks from all of the great shopping, restaurants, and theaters downtown. You can also walk just a few blocks uphill to see the beautiful Grace Cathedral and views overlooking the city. We had a very large room for the price, which was great, and everything was kept very clean by the maids who came in once a day. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable of places to go in the city, and there was free breakfast in the morning, as well as computers in the lobby with free internet which is helpful for those like myself who like to leave the laptop at home while we travel. I would certainly stay here again.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

After a long flight from Dublin to San Francisco (via Paris), the need for a clean, quiet room of one's own is paramount and this is exactly what I found at the Dakota Hotel on a recent visit. It had all of the Olde World charms of a San Franciscan hostelry with none of the disappointments often to be found in such places.
I slept like a baby during my stay and woke early each morning to a magnificent view of the city and a powerful, hot shower. The staff were always on hand to help me and a first-time visitor to the city - which I wasn't - would be provided with even more assistance and suggestions. Not only that but the hotel offers entertainment every evening from music to cheese and wine tastings.
I adored it there and was heartbroken to leave. Finding good accommodation in Downtown SF can be a tricky affair. The only reservation I'd have in recommending The Dakota Hotel, is that my room will be gone the next time (soon, I hope) I pay a visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We booked at the Adelaide hostel, which is a scam and the only way this dive of a place gets any customers, as no one in their right mind would book here directly. We had booked a 5 bed room, but only got 4, and with insufficient floorspace for the $35 a night trundle they offered, we we're left taking turns sharing a double. The bathroom looked like it last got cleaned in 2009, and the beds smelt similar. The customer service provided by the unwashed Jabba woman, and the guy who told us the Internet was fine, despite 7 devices being unable to connect while he played world of Warcraft behind the desk, was pathetic. I genuinely felt more welcomed by the dodgy looking guy running the convenience store next door. At least he smiled the third time I went in there and said hello.
Simply, don't stay there, it's just no good.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robb M
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Dakota hotel is a great place to stay in San Francisco! The location is perfect! It is only two blocks from Union Square and very close to all tourist destinations. I stayed in a dorm room, but it was quite spacious and even had a full bathroom. It was very clean, and I could tell well taken care of. The dorm had bunk beds, but it was still very comfortable and I slept quite well. The rooms also have large windows looking out to the big city views. The staff here are so accommodating! There was one in particular, i think his name was Raymond, who would always great me with a friendly smile and made sure to help me with any problems I had during my stay. So sweet and such a kind demeanor, I suggest anyone staying here go to him for advice and assistance with even the smallest of requests. The staff also plan nightly events to entertain you, my personal favorite being wine & cheese night in the lounge. They make it very easy for you to meet other guests and make friends with fellow travelers. You really feel at home here with the comfort they provide you. I will definitely be staying here again when I find my way back to San Francisco.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Please understand... the Adelaide is a hostel, the Dakota is a "hotel" managed by the same owners. The Dakota's rooms are a small upgrade from sleeping on the street in a sleeping bag.

I stayed there in 2007 as a college student, and the experience was adequate for one in that stage of life looking for a cheap place to spend a night in the heart of an expensive city. So I blame myself when, five years later, I planned a week long getaway for my husband and myself and booked two nights in a private room here expecting the same budget experience. We quickly realized that we no longer prefer this setting and are unable to relax in dirty, noisy "hotels."

Like everyone before me has stated, understand that if you book a private room through Adelaide Hostel, you are not really staying at the Adelaide hostel. You have to check in at the Adelaide, but you walk a block north to the Dakota Hotel with your bags. The Dakota has a smidgeon of appeal if you like ancient hotels that "preserve" antiquated details, such as the lift in the lobby which only sometimes works and is more than a little scary.

Despite having much to say, I will keep this short, as others before me have described basically down to the last detail my very own experience. The street noise is terrible, the front rooms are directly above a bar, there is no air conditioning, the bed sheets and covers are full of holes and stains, the pillows lumpy, the mattresses worn out. Our ceiling fan was broken so we had to sleep with windows open, which only made the traffic noise even worse. The staff was average, but this isn't a four or five star hotel, so why expect anything better? The cleanliness of the room was... severely lacking. I never took my shoes off for fear of touching the carpet with my bare feet. I'm shocked we didn't end up with bed bugs or something worse. The location, while close to many downtown sites, is dirty and feels unsafe. My husband was approached by a male prostitute on a trip to the drugstore.

For us as a couple, it was $40 per person ($80 per night + taxes), and is $55 per person on weekends. We cancelled our second night's stay, requested a refund (pending), and moved to another hotel where we paid quite a bit more, but had a real night's sleep in clean and well-furnished room.

My advice is that unless you are a student or a single person desiring a HOSTEL experience, or unable to afford ANYTHING better, do not book a private room here. You will not find it relaxing or enjoyable. Spend $20-$40 more and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple