“Small rooms, great service, great views”

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Ranked #46 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We booked 2 nights at the Marriott Union Square to meet friends for a weekend using Marriott Points. As a Platinum member, I am used to how Marriotts are so my expectations are grounded.

We arrived via Car on a Friday afternoon. The Valet man showed up quickly and we advised I was just performing a drop of my bags before dropping the car off. He told me to lift my trunk to avoid any of the bus cameras which might send me a ticket (helpful tip). He allowed me to check in and drop my bags for no charge. The typical valet charge is ~$60.

Check in was quick and smooth. The clerk took my credit card and welcomed me. She offered free continental breakfast or 1,500 per day as the lounge was closed. I took the breakfast. Overall, the staff was excellent during our stay.

I was given a 29th floor room in a corner facing the Coit Tower. The view was spectacular and featured a King Bed with a small chair and a small bathroom with a tub/shower combo. Decor was a typical Marriott. The room itself was REAL small. Smaller than the room at the JW I had in recent times but in the end it served its purpose. The rooms have a closet with an iron and a small safe (not large enough for a laptop ) and worked fine. Location wise, we found the hotel in an ideal location to visit San Francisco and Union Square.

For breakfast, they offer a basic continental breakfast in lieu of the lounge if you are a Gold/Platinum guest. It consisted of bagels, bread, oatmeal & other basic items. If you wanted eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit or yogurt, then you can pay an extra $6 which I didn't find unreasonable. Sears Fine Foods is around the corner and offers a competitively priced breakfast as another option if you are stuck paying full price for the breakfast at the hotel

High speed wireless internet is offered at $12.95 a day (unless you get a business wired rate) and was scorching fast.

Checkout was quick and nothing was wrong.

I would certainly return to this hotel but would hope i get a bigger room next time.

Room Tip: Even side rooms face Coit Tower and the bay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shane M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,872)

Reviewed August 25, 2014

The hotel is very nice and for us it was conveniently located. It has an attentive staff that kept me well informed on the status of our two rooms when we arrived a little earlier than check-in time; exactly what i'd expect from a JW Marriott. The concierge lounge and the views from it are as nice as has been described by others before me. And the food served there both at breakfast and in the evening were top-notch. The evening fare can virtually substitute for dinner, especially if you make lunch your big meal of the day. And speaking of food, worth mentioning is a small Diner about two blocks away which is great for a late night bite to eat; ask the valets, they'll point you in the right direction. (At dinner-time there was a line out the door)

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2014

This hotel is well located and I thought that their service was excellent. The bellmen and the front desk staff were helpful, friendly, and very nice - and the gentleman at the front desk never failed to call me by name. The rooms have safes - not large enough for laptops, but large enough for iPads, and wifi worked fine. I am a Platinum Marriott member and, because the concierge lounge is closed on weekends, I was given a choice of either 1500 bonus points or a free continental breakfast, which could be upgraded to a full breakfast for $6. I had not been given that choice in other Marriott properties. While, on principle, I don't agree with the $6 upcharge - I feel a bit nickled and dimed by Marriott properties who charge this fee when I consider the thousands of dollars I spend with them each year, I appreciated being given the option of breakfast or points.

My room and bathroom were spacious, but just average Marriott rooms. However, I was never able to get hot water in the shower - it was lukewarm at best. Amenities were average. Additionally, I did leave a wake-up call that never came - no harm done since it was just a backup to my phone alarm, but if the service is provided then it should be reliable.

The hotel was fine - though will probably consider another Marriott property the next time I am in San Francisco.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD
Oscar480, General Manager at San Francisco Marriott Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and providing comments about your stay.

Your feedback is appreciated, both positive and constructive. As a loyal Marriott customer, it is very helpful to hear from you.

Oscar R.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

My experience here was amazing! the view of the room was awesome! Just loved it! The location is perfect! Very close to Union Square! Very central! Right across the room, I could see Macys and the cheesecake factory on top! Everything was just amazing in this hotel! The weather was a bit cold and Windy so make sure you're ready for that! The onion technique is the best option! :)

The only point that they should add is the free wifi in the reception and the rooms! There is wifi, you just need to login and pay for it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located for tourists. Although we walked a lot, we took muni buses as well. We did not hear street noise even though the room faced Sutter St. The concierge lounge food and view were both excellent. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We did have to wait for long periods of time for the elevators, supposedly one was out of order.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Don't try to sleep in. The doors slam loudly and regularly, particularly if the housekeeping staff is cleaning the room. Something better has to be done to ensure a quieter experience.

Plan on bussing your own table if you upgrade up to the concierge lounge. The staff there talk incessantly to presumably regular hotel guests. It is exhausting to listen to their chatter and have to bus tables for a place. Need for more reserved pro-active staff.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim H
Oscar480, General Manager at San Francisco Marriott Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to provide feedback.

I apologize for the poor experience you had at our hotel. I am glad you informed us so that corrective action can be taken.

Oscar R.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

After a long day traveling to get to the hotel I could not have been treated any better. The door man was so helpful and went the extra distance to answer questions even though it was very busy. My checkin was painless and actually so welcoming it was a bit startling (though still very comfortable). My room was clean, quiet, and just fine. The valet parking worked like a clock and goes for 24 hours from one's checkin time which really helped me out during the business day (just took cabs).
Upon leaving the door man was again extremely helpful with directions and advice for my trip down the coast from San Francisco to the Carmel area. I would go back for sure.

Room Tip: High floor to get away from the City traffic noise; could ask about views as well.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business