This was a nicely maintained Marriott's hotel with squeaky clean rooms, comfortable beds, and a very nice restaurant. We actually tried going to a couple of nearby Italian restaurants for dinner before deciding to eat at the hotel. One was right across the street (Scala). We looked at the posted menu and found that a dinner salad was $12, the chicken was $27 and the winter squash was $25. The place was small and loud so we went to the other close by Italian restaurant (Kuleto's) which was similarly priced. Being very hungry by this time we took a table. The first thing we noticed was how loud it was. Next, we found the menu contained nothing we even wanted to order. We are used to southern Italian cooking which is simple and delicious and found the menu as well as the ambiance to be pretentious. So, we left and went back to the Marriott's and ate at their hotel. We enjoyed a delicious meal including a dinner salad and a glass of wine for about $85. The hotel room was expensive and parking was $55 by valet. We concluded that the Union Square area in general is ridiculously expensive and do not blame Marriott's for that. One weird thing that the hotel can work on is having a better check cashing procedure. I really do not carry cash, but needed some to tip the valet. Being a gold Marriott's member I figured it would be easy to cash a check. The hotel has a phone set up to run checks for approval, but it appeared to not work correctly. It took over 15 minutes for them to cash a $40 check. They knew I was a gold member and they knew my credit card number so I found the process to be quite cumbersome based on my obvious qualifications. I had arrived downstairs before the valet brought up the car just to get the cash for a tip. The poor valet had to wait 10 or 15 minutes while we played the check game. Oh well, we had a good nights sleep. We had an upgraded corner room and the stay was pleasant. If you have to stay in the Union Square area I do recommend this hotel. The staff was 100% pleasant and helpful. They either were unsure of the check cashing policy or did not know how to use their machine, but I looked at that as a training rather than a lack of service problem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The San Francisco Marriott Union Square hotel offers a prime location with San Francisco's most vibrant address. Hop aboard a cable car or enjoy Union Square shopping just steps from the hotel. Also near popular Nob Hill and Chinatown, the San Francisco Marriott Union Square is an excellent choice for hosting meetings and events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your San Francisco Marriott Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Francisco Marriott Union Square Hotel San Francisco
- Marriott San Francisco
- Crowne Plaza Union Square