“Pleasant Stay Short of Perfect”

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Ranked #42 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a nicely maintained Marriott's hotel with squeaky clean rooms, comfortable beds, and a very nice restaurant. We actually tried going to a couple of nearby Italian restaurants for dinner before deciding to eat at the hotel. One was right across the street (Scala). We looked at the posted menu and found that a dinner salad was $12, the chicken was $27 and the winter squash was $25. The place was small and loud so we went to the other close by Italian restaurant (Kuleto's) which was similarly priced. Being very hungry by this time we took a table. The first thing we noticed was how loud it was. Next, we found the menu contained nothing we even wanted to order. We are used to southern Italian cooking which is simple and delicious and found the menu as well as the ambiance to be pretentious. So, we left and went back to the Marriott's and ate at their hotel. We enjoyed a delicious meal including a dinner salad and a glass of wine for about $85. The hotel room was expensive and parking was $55 by valet. We concluded that the Union Square area in general is ridiculously expensive and do not blame Marriott's for that. One weird thing that the hotel can work on is having a better check cashing procedure. I really do not carry cash, but needed some to tip the valet. Being a gold Marriott's member I figured it would be easy to cash a check. The hotel has a phone set up to run checks for approval, but it appeared to not work correctly. It took over 15 minutes for them to cash a $40 check. They knew I was a gold member and they knew my credit card number so I found the process to be quite cumbersome based on my obvious qualifications. I had arrived downstairs before the valet brought up the car just to get the cash for a tip. The poor valet had to wait 10 or 15 minutes while we played the check game. Oh well, we had a good nights sleep. We had an upgraded corner room and the stay was pleasant. If you have to stay in the Union Square area I do recommend this hotel. The staff was 100% pleasant and helpful. They either were unsure of the check cashing policy or did not know how to use their machine, but I looked at that as a training rather than a lack of service problem.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bobba
There are newer reviews for San Francisco Marriott Union Square

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is centrally located and right next to the trolly on Powell Street. This is extremely convenient, but I would recommend ear plugs because the bells from the trolly ding at all times of the day and night. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and always willing to help out, very nice. The lobby is a nice quiet place to get work done. My only complaint is $12.95/day for internet access in my room. There is free wi-fi in the lobby, so the hotel technically offers "free wi-fi" but I felt a little mislead when I learned that. Still, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is a standard Marriott hotel, with all that you are accustomed to in the Marriott brand. Lobby is small and feels cramped. Check in and check out was a breeze. Elevators seemed old, but worked fine.

Room:
We got a room in a high floor that had a nice view. The bed was too soft for our taste. The room had very thin walls, we could hear everything. The room was very very small, and the bathroom even smaller. The room was clean, and so was the bathroom.

Location:
1 Block away from Union Square. Great location, would recommend this area to anyone.

Would recommend the Grand Hyatt instead of this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was greeted by some great people at the front desk, upgrade was ready as was promised over the phone.
Room was clean and well maintained.
Only problem is the air conditioning, like all American hotels, noisy and unable to keep room comfortable all the time.
Hotel has a nice bar and restaurant.
Bellman made arrangements for a car at 430 AM for me and the car was there on time.
Excellent location as well for getting around.
Will stay again.

Room Tip: ask for upper floor, good views are available, junior suites are very roomy
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Located one block north of Union Square, my wife and I stayed here for one night. The check-in area in the lobby was narrow and cramped but we found the front desk check in-person very efficient and friendly. Our room was a standard king size bed (very soft mattress with foamy consistency) with a small bathroom. Our room lacked a safe and we were told that was due to the room layout and small closet size, but that we could request another room. We were there only one night so we stuck with our original room. Our room had a flat screen LCD in the 32" area. We found the room noisy from both outside street noise and hallway noise.

We also ate dinner at the hotel bar. The bartender was very friendly. We split a prosciutto with artichoke pizza which was fine plus some salted/spiced nuts which were neither.

For one night, this served out purpose and provided the reliable quality of a Marriott property.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My sister and I visited San Francisco, and stayed at this property. It was wonderful - centrally located, close to everything!!! The service was impecable, from the front desk, to the bell men, the door men, the concierges, and the manager - all outstanding!

I recommend it to anyone looking for a good value and a great experience. Book it now!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are worth the extra price!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nab800
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The location of this hotel in San Fran was awesome! It is close to all the stores and close to the business area. I was very pleased with the stay. The rooms were super clean and the staff were very friendly and efficient!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business