“Very average Marriott in a great location”

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Ranked #46 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Very average Marriott in a great location”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

As a platinum member it was quite disappointing to check in and have the front desk tell us that our room was in the un-remodeled section of the hotel but it was more convenient. Wrong on both accounts. The room was so old it had a popcorn ceiling still. Bed was fine. They've installed more energy saving shower heads so the water spits at you. The room was backyards in terms of the bathroom door. The bathroom door was at the front of the room and the door opened into the room vs the wall so you had to keep it closed or you'd hit it every time. Lounge was pretty good on terms if food choice and service. Location of course is great.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2013

PROS:
Location, location location. Can't beat the location in the heart of Union Square and down town San Francisco

Standard Marriott bed and pillows comfortable.

CONS:
Very poor internet service. In room WiFi is 12.95/day. The lobby WiFi is complimentary but a pain to use as every time you have to go through 3 login pages. If you go out or go up to the rooms and come back you have to re login every time. When I told the front desk staff about this they said just write a complaint. At the rate I was paying WiFi should be included and hassle free.

The rate for our convention was very high at 288/night (the usual being 169-199). Thus the value for dollar was not very good

My room was on the 6th floor and the sound proofing is poor. I could hear every car, trolley and even people screaming. Tough when you are trying to sleep.

Bathroom was small and amenities few, no bath gown, at least the shower was strong. No fridge in room.

Breakfast was 22 dollars and not worth it. Very limited selection of breads or cheeses. There are plenty of diners right next door which are tastier and less expensive.

There are plenty of excellent hotels in the same location thus staying here is mainly for Marriott loyalty points.

Room Tip: The higher floors the better due to street noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
California
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The location of this hotel can't be beat ! Just a block from Union Square, it's central to everything. My daughter and I recently stayed over a Saturday night with my Marriott Rewards points and I have to say I was disappointed with the service--it seems to have gone downhill from earlier visits. The doormen are great but we found the front desk staff to be surly and service short. Our room was ok but no Marriott Rewards upgrade, no water until we asked and we only accidentally found out that the Concierge/Executive level was closed on the weekend. When I asked about it, the clerk told us that "corporate" decided not to open this on the weekend. Heads up if you plan to visit on the weekend!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a high floor to lessen street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Met my husband here for a long weekend after a west coast business trip. Full disclosure I have elite Marriott status, so they're usually (but definitely not always) accommodating for me.
Because this was a romance weekend, I considered staying at the more expensive JW or Marquis, but I'm very glad I came here instead. I got a super AAA weekend rate of $161. (Downtown San Fran always cheaper weekends.)
The standout part of this Marriott is how everyone just bent over backwards to be helpful and accommodating. From the random manager who stopped over seeing us struggle with our map, to the check-in clerk who spent so much time looking for an available view room (view rooms being a category upgrade, I asked for but did not pay for), to the clerk who upgraded us for free on day two to a high floor. Standouts, and I travel through a lot of hotels. The waitress at breakfast was a bit TOO friendly to my husband. But what can I say he is a good looking guy LOL.
Our room was small but nicely set up, looked new, comfy, generally quiet, and very clean. Our first room had a decent view but the second room (day two, the first day they were quite full with a convention) beautifully overlooked the city and even the bay in the distance.
The location of this Marriott is great. We walked most everywhere, including China Town, Sear's restaurant, Dylan's tour pick-up across from Morton's, Nob Hill, View lounge at Marquis, Embarcadero..., but used the cable car stop right next to the hotel to go to Fisherman's Wharf.
I liked this hotel more than I expected to, and I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a view room. The worst they can say is no.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KitchaMitcha
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed for, 3 nights, and the locations was perfect, Trolley stop right outside the door. Walking distance from bus line and cable car. The service was a bit spotty, we checked in early and was surprised to have our room avail in the morning. At check in we asked for a refrigerator to be put in the room, and stated they could go in, while we were at breakfast. We returned from breakfast, no refrigerator, so called down and asked and again, mentioned no problem to deliver when we were not in our room, as we were heading out for the day. Nine hours later, on return to the room, nothing...so two more calls were needed to get it delivered. Once delivered all was well. Our room service person was amazing in we just requested new towels and coffee, being we don't have our rooms serviced daily, she got them for us, and was just a sweetheart! The location/view from our room will bring us back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Great location, lovely lobby bar with free wifi, big bed & very comfortable-great views from high floors. Overall a very nice hotel. Also has an executive lounge with complimentary cakes etc. nice diner on opposite corner for good value breakfast etc & opposite is a Starbucks!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank whazit
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Arrived on a Saturday night, check-in was quick and efficient. Upon checkout the next day the reception lady was a bit annoyed when I asked for a receipt copy via email (the original paper copy was poorly printed to begin with).

Room was clean and nice as you would expect from any Marriott. The city view was great too on my "view" room at a few dollars extra.

Location is a bit far from the BART station (a few blocks), but at one block from Union Square it is not too bad.

Room Tip: If you book a free cancellation rate, check the rate again frequently. In my case the rate went down...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business