“Super SF experience!”

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Ranked #45 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I'm a Marriott gal for their convenience, dependability, and pet-friendly policy.

When I travel for work, I always request a Marriott, so I have stayed here the nation over. The SF Union Square location is my new favorite, hands down.

When I checked in, they were not able to accommodate the room preferences I had pre-specified with my reservation, so I was promptly upgraded to a Jr Suite, free of charge.

The room was stunning--floor to ceiling windows with panoramic views of the city. Even in the bathroom! Being on East coast time, I woke up early, sat in bed, and watched the fog roll in over the rooftops. Magic.

I was also exhausted when I arrived after a 7 hr flight, so just ordered room service. (Something I typically avoid.) Holy garlic prawn, feta, and arugula pizza! I scarfed the entire thing...carbs be damned.

The entire room was spotless...and the perfectly-pressurized rain shower?? Yes, please!

As others have remarked, a big benefit of this place is location. I had read the weather report a few days before traveling, which promised 78 degrees and sunny in SF. Ha. I woke up to a 52 degree, foggy day and was woefully underdressed for a client meeting. Needed tights and new shoes ASAP. I walked outside to find both a DSW and Aerosole right on the block. Done and done. (Not to mention Walgreens, Starbucks, Macy's, etc. Convenience. You get the idea.)

I'm surprised at other reviewers who have commented on sub-par customer service. This is not the Intercontinental, people. You won't find people tucking Ghiradelli chocolates under your pillow. That said, I found the staff courteous, pleasant, and responsive.

In fact, after leaving SF to drive up the coast, I realized I had left my phone charger in the room. I called to see if it had been turned in, and sure enough, the cleaning staff had promptly returned it to the front desk. (A lesson to everyone: ALWAYS remember to tip your room staff!) I was able to pick it up before my return flight home and charge my phone in the lobby.

Overall it was an excellent stay and I am looking forward to coming back if work brings me to the city on the Bay.

Room Tip: Just a tip: as a city hotel in a busy area, it can be a tad noisy @ nite. I always travel with earpl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KR_bklyn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,858)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

It's a first time stay at a Marriot hotel. So far it's one of the best hotels i've stayed. I felt the staff really put the best forward and stepped up to the plate to make me and my family to be welcomed. They answered my questions about touring San Francisco and gave really awesome advice of where to go and how to plan my tour of the bay. The price was a bit much for me, I'm satisfied staying a motel 6 or comfort inn. But this trip was planned around out of country family members, and I wanted to be happy and comfortable on their first trip here. The location was another key since it close to everything we wanted to see without getting into a car (traffic is nuts in downtown).

Room Tip: The pillows in the rooms were so freakin' soft. I couldn't get enough of them. I would pro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I am a loyal Marriott customer with platinum status in past and current gold status. I have had good and bad experiences Marriott in many countries which I have visited or lived in over last 10 years. By far this property is the worst in terms of customer service and being tourist friendly.

Location is excellent. Getting in to the hotel is easy but that's where all our fun came to an end.

Hotel checking in took 30 min at 11 am. Inspire of being a status member no upgrades were provided. When asked for concierge we were told that she had gone for lunch and need to come back later.

Room which we had was tiny and all backside view. We paid top dollars to spend 1 night and we were not given a decent room.

We ordered some delivery food and the delivery guy directly came up to our room for the delivery without any notification from the front desk that we have some visitor. There is no sense of privacy and anyone can just walk up without proper check. I have never had such an experience. I would expect a courtesy call from front desk.

When we requested for some plates and cutlery we were provided with cheap plastic cutlery. It forced me to think if I was in best western or in Marriott.

On the day of departure the bell man got us a cab to which we believe he had some commission tied up. When we reached airport and started to pay by card the cab driver yells at us that it was cash only deal and no cards. We didn't have enought cash and we were not told at the start of our journey that it was cash only. We did end up paying by card but I think it was very unprofessional of the bellman not to tell us in advance and push us into a cab where he had his own personal interest.

I am surely a bit upset with level of service at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was there on 09/22/12

I had the best stay EVER.
GREAT HOTEL, AMAZING LOCATION, CLEAN, GREAT ROOMS, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN
I was able to Check in before 3pm, I was comp late check out at 1pm. The Front Desk clerk Andres was AMAZING, he directed us to all the good places in the city, I wish all front desk people were as friendly and knowledgable as Andres. Big Kudos to Andres and his team.
Centrally located. The Troley is right there at the corner of the hotel, the world famous Lories Dinner is accross the street, walk up a bit up on same block to find an amazing suhi place (Maru Sushi).
Great eats even after hours all around the hotel, just gotta walk up 1 or 2 mini blocks.
They also have a great, clean and peacefull fitness area inside the hotel (level C)

My Downfall: I wish I had stayed longer

This hotel will blow your socks off, AMAZING!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel had the best deal on an executive club room at 4 star hotel on week nights (which are ridiculously expensive in San Francisco). We booked the room for 4 nights directly on Marriott's website, as we have sadly discovered that booking through third-party sites usually results in a lower-quality room.

We found all the staff to be very cheerful, friendly and helpful. Our executive floor room had a breathtaking view of the bay, Alcatraz and Coit Tower, and there was very little noise (other than occasional sirens from fire engines). The bed linen was good-quality cotton, the bed was really comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean (so I was happy!). The only fault in the room was a closet with sliding doors that you could barely open and close, so we gave up on using the closet.

The food in the executive club was good quality (but some variety at breakfast would have been nice, as the menu didn't change in 4 days!). However, wi-fi in the club and the club rooms should have been provided for free. I used the free wi-fi in the lobby instead.

The hotel is an easy walk (but a bit uphill) from the Powell St BART, which runs to and from the airport. So we used public transport (including buses--$2.00 regular; 75 cents for seniors) from Powell or Market all over the city, including to the SF Symphony (highly recommended--$15 for a seat behind the orchestra!), Mission Dolores and the Wharf.

We walked to Chinatown (mostly uphill from the hotel, but a great walk) and to the Embarcadero. Union Square has so much to offer, with department stores, shops and restaurants that you don't need to go far, but shopping in Chinatown is great fun.

For really good seafood, go to Scoma's on the Wharf. For inexpensive but good meals, try the food court at the Crocker Galleria on Post (with better & cheaper food than the food court in the basement of the Westfield Mall on Market). I've been going to the Japanese fast-food place in the Crocker for years, and it only gets better and better.

If you're a fan of American literature, go to City Lights bookstore (which was the home of the Beat writers), on Columbus, near Chinatown (several buses go right past it).

To sum up, In major cities, we usually save money by staying in a basic room in a 3.5 star hotel and then complain for the entire stay about what we aren't getting (no breakfast, no special service, no view). So we splurged on an executive room floor (which includes breakfast and afternoon and evening snacks) and never complained once!

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor and ask for a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had a great junior suite on the 29th floor with views of the bay. The staff was very attentive. If you want additional amenities, i.e. refrig, just ask at check-in and they will deliver to your room. The location was excellent for the transit system. Walk out and across to the Starbucks and the trolley or bus is available to whisk you off to the wharf. You can buy a 3 day pass across the street at Walgreen's for $17.00. Union Square is just around the corner.

Room Tip: Higher floors give a great view of the city and the bay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trisha T
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights mid-September. I had expected a reasonable upgrade, being a MR Platinum Elite member. I was given a very small room with 'limited' street view (in my stay experience); there wasn't even a fridge in the room; amenities in-room very very basic. All other elite privileges were offfered, but facilities that would just place it as a 3-4* property. Staff were friendly, helpful. These rooms are only adequate for 1 guest. For $500+, I'd look for better value elsewhere. The only pro factore here is the hotel's location - right in the midst of shopping in Union Square.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business