“Mediocrity at that price...”

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Ranked #40 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights mid-September. I had expected a reasonable upgrade, being a MR Platinum Elite member. I was given a very small room with 'limited' street view (in my stay experience); there wasn't even a fridge in the room; amenities in-room very very basic. All other elite privileges were offfered, but facilities that would just place it as a 3-4* property. Staff were friendly, helpful. These rooms are only adequate for 1 guest. For $500+, I'd look for better value elsewhere. The only pro factore here is the hotel's location - right in the midst of shopping in Union Square.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank gul1957
There are newer reviews for San Francisco Marriott Union Square

Reviewed September 13, 2012

We've been for only 3 days. When we checked in at the lobby, they also found my notice about higher floor room possible and gave us on 19th. Good view on one part of the city. Important remark : on the card key was written : "walk in like you own the place" !!! And they really felt that way !!!
Great in accomodation and hospitality and they solved every possible question we might had.
Just a block away from Union square and a bit further from PIER 39 (about $10-14 with taxi). Walgreens was just on the corner of the street.
Keep in mind that .....in summer months, San Fransisco is facing ......winter : no more than 50-55 F in the morning and barely 65-70 later on.So, be prepared.
The only disadvantage of the hotel, is that I didn't know beforehand the extra fees and taxes that are not included on the price (which were at about $24 per night). They had just made the reservation and not charged my credit card. They charged us on the day of checking out !!! There were several emails just the time before arriving with additional information also. Very helpful and descriptive.
I strongly recommend it !!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pseisog
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Union Square for 8 days and it was fabulous. From the minute we walked in we were greeted by friendly doormen who on a daily basis were always curteous and extremely pleasant. Robert at the front desk, who checked us in was just the nicest person and went out of his way to accommodate us. We immediately asked him questions about areas of interest and he was patient and kind and took a map out to get us acclimated. The Conceiere Kathy always had a friendly smile and again was patient in helping us navigate our trip. Our room which was a jr suite was huge and we had a beautiful view almost panoramic. Everyday we came back to a very clean room. the hotel was perfectly located and in the heart of exactly where we love to stay. Fabulous shopping and restaurants. I can't see anyone ever staying anywhere else. We will definitely return. It was a fantastic trip!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2012

After a long trip from hong kong. very bad flight. the resort was a wonder. (15 hours of flight) Good service, bellman alway atend, food not so great. otherwise a good stay. Locarion perfect only a couple of steps from the tourist trap. STILL great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

As a tourist from halfway across the globe, I found the staff as very helpful, and gave me great tips for shopping and sightseeing. Of course, the hotel being near to everything is really great, I found myself returning back to the hotel a few times to stash my (shopping) loot before heading out again...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank zuhairi64
Reviewed September 5, 2012

After extensive research in tripadvisor for a hotel in san francisco, i picked san francisco marriott union square for the good reviews and the fact that it was named one of the best in customer satisfaction in marriott some years before. I love marriott hotels and thats why i registered to be a rewards member.

The location and hotel is great! The room with 2 doubles is quiet spacious and is enough for 4 adults. They also had a separate sitting area for 1. The bathroom looked really small in the pictures but it was better in real life. There was more than enough counter space for my numerous toiletries. We got a room on the 18th floor facing sutter street so we did not have problems with noise at all. No views though except of the huge building in front. No fridge or microwave in this hotel. Not sure if you can request one though. They do have an in room safe. The beds were amazing. Felt like sleeping on clouds! Rooms look really modern!

Location is great. The powell street cable car runs in front of the hotel. Market street is just about 5 short blocks down if you walk along powell street. We just walked to and from the bart station to get to the airport - both oakland and san francisco airport. No difficulty with the luggage during the walk. Union street is just a block away. Lots of food choices around, chinatown in nearby and within walking distance, walgreens just across the street for basic needs. They also had zipcar in the same building so it was easy for us to rent cars for a day.

The problem with my stay only occurred during check in and check out - which is important for first and last impressions i think. When we checked in early, around 1 i think, the did have the rom ready. However the staff seemed more concerned with the business the staff beside him had than mine. He kept on glancing tothe other side. On top of that, even though i only had a small rolling luggage with me and had my husband with me, he handed my keys to another staff who immediately toom my luggage and led us to our room. This is totally INAPPROPRIATE in my opinion. First of all, i believe we sould have been asked first if we needed help. That action did not give us any option to refuse. I myself do not really like engaging other services unless i need to since i feel uncomfortable. I tried to shake off this feeling that the action was purposely done in order to secure tips for this very elderly bellhop and give them the benefit of the doubt that it was purely for service.

The rest of our days, the door men were really nice wih greeting us and opening the door for us. Our second problem occurred at check out. When we tried to leave our luggage at he hotel, this same elderly staff/door man was present. He just pointed to one corner and told us to leave our luggage here. He then disappeared and didnt come back until after 10 minutes!! Another person fortunately was around and put our luggages in the secure room and gave us our claim tags. If he was not there, we would have assumed that we were to leave our luggages in that public corner and would not be given our tags! Then when we came back to pick up our luggages, several doormen tried to engage our attention but we pointed to the same doorman who checked our luggages in since he was manning the luggage area. Fortunately for us because I want to be able to give him the tip for helping us earlier. One particular doorman appeared annoyed after we did that. On our way out, that same doorman who appeared annoyed was the one near the doors. Even after seeing that we were having difficulty with the door, he purposely picked up the phone and turned around!! We were very upset. This is not even acceptable service - this is very very poor service!

Will i return to this hotel ? Maybe if it was the cheapest one around. I will also not make the same mistake of expecting service. It makes me wonder if the doormen are not being paid properly that they would clammor for tips. This seems like one of the best explanation i can come up with.

Room Tip: Zipcar is inthe same building. No need to pay for expensive san francisc parking. Higher floor for l...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dichieport
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had a 2-day business meeting and this hotel was very convenient, walking distance from several restaurants and short cab ride (plenty of cabs are lined up outside) to the bay and farmer’s market. The room was clean and cozy. Try to book a room on the higher floors to avoid street noise.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business