“RATS in the room and ouside the "lobby" in broad daylight!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Central

Travelodge Central
Ranked #212 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“RATS in the room and ouside the "lobby" in broad daylight!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I made a one night reservation for last Saturday. When I arrived to check in, the clientele was extremely dodgy. It was before noon and people were loitering and drinking outside. The girl checking in in front of me was loudly discussing with the clerk how she was there to reunite with her BF from prison. It only got worse from there. When I checked in to room 109 (several doors down from the "lobby") I nearly slipped on the damp tile floors when to my surprise the room was already occupied by a large rat. I immediately closed the door and walked back to the "lobby" when another rat ran across the threshold in front of me. I advised Matthew who identified himself as the manager that I did not accept the rat occupied room. He refused to offer another room and when I said I was leaving and wanted a receipt that I was not being charged he refused to refund my money. He was unprofessional and unreasonable and told me to call their corporate office who were also unhelpful. I am disputing with my credit card and will NEVER look at Travelodge again! Save yourself the time and aggravation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sean987

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Okay, I've been staying in hotels while I look for a room mate or a studio, I have been in several different "affordable" hotels in the area, this place wins hands down, apparently it's under new management and the new manager Matthew W is courteous, polite, professional, and in the time I've been in this hotel he has remained consistent and with everyone. The staff have gone out their way to be accommodating and non intrusive. Even the maintenance guy is cool and helped translate between me and my house keeper. I have been treated so badly at other similar hotels by the staff, this has been really refreshing, and the location is awesome there are some negative points, the tv's are turning weird sepia colors, and get maybe ten or fifteen non latin stations, they charge you to park in their lot, the breakfast could be better but their rate is the best in town. The rooms are clean and the beds are clean and crisp and bed bug free unlike some other more expensive places.on 7th ave between Howard and Folsom . Anyway. That's my second review of a hotel and I'm glad it could be so positive.

Room Tip: I like to be away from the street so they put me in a tiny room in the far back corner 116, I loved...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had to cancel my reservation because of the weather. I called in plenty of time to cancel, but they refused to refund my money. I am sure they rented out the room, therefore getting double what they would. The CEO of the corp made over $10 million last year. $70 is nothing to him. But to those of us on Social Security, it is a weeks groceries. I will never use Travelodge or Wyndham hotel accommodations again. Dont book this place unless you are willing to lose money

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank guyfromroseville

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Berkeley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Two things right away about the location:
1. It's right on the MUNI F-line that takes you down Market, The Embarcadero, and the Fisherman's Wharf
2. It's on the outskirts of the seedy Tenderloin, but also close to the edges of the touristy Market/Financial District, the re-gentrifying urbanite Mission district, and the laid-back Castro District (LGBT)

When given that, ...:
1. If you're here to do sightseeing on vacation, your hotel room is just a place to sleep anyways. The Travelodge Central rooms are small and not great, but are fine and kept clean. The MUNI F-line and a few bus routes are within a block, and you can buy a MUNI pass just 2 blocks away
2. There is a diversity in clientele there. Maybe some clientele or Tenderloin folks loiter (not all smokers are smoking tobacco...), but no one at the hotel will bug you. You might see more homeless on Market St near the hotel more than in Powell or Powell subway station, but not as much as Civic Center station. If this hotel were actually in the Tenderloin, I'd be a little scared. I'd also be scared if it was in a forest full of hungry bears.

The staff was pretty good, actually. In particular, there was a young guy at the front desk who had a pleasant personality, and somehow maintained it and helped my dad plan out our entire 5-day vacation, despite my dad's almost OCD-like anxious repetitiveness. It's impressive that my dad was satisfied.

When you consider that you are in downtown SF, the $12 parking fee is a deal, as are the room rates. The breakfast is meager, but who cares -- use the money you save to enjoy the city, eat out, travel, etc.

Room Tip: If you're not a smoker, don't get a room near any smoking rooms, and you should be fine. Th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family