Two things right away about the location:
1. It's right on the MUNI F-line that takes you down Market, The Embarcadero, and the Fisherman's Wharf
2. It's on the outskirts of the seedy Tenderloin, but also close to the edges of the touristy Market/Financial District, the re-gentrifying urbanite Mission district, and the laid-back Castro District (LGBT)
When given that, ...:
1. If you're here to do sightseeing on vacation, your hotel room is just a place to sleep anyways. The Travelodge Central rooms are small and not great, but are fine and kept clean. The MUNI F-line and a few bus routes are within a block, and you can buy a MUNI pass just 2 blocks away
2. There is a diversity in clientele there. Maybe some clientele or Tenderloin folks loiter (not all smokers are smoking tobacco...), but no one at the hotel will bug you. You might see more homeless on Market St near the hotel more than in Powell or Powell subway station, but not as much as Civic Center station. If this hotel were actually in the Tenderloin, I'd be a little scared. I'd also be scared if it was in a forest full of hungry bears.
The staff was pretty good, actually. In particular, there was a young guy at the front desk who had a pleasant personality, and somehow maintained it and helped my dad plan out our entire 5-day vacation, despite my dad's almost OCD-like anxious repetitiveness. It's impressive that my dad was satisfied.
When you consider that you are in downtown SF, the $12 parking fee is a deal, as are the room rates. The breakfast is meager, but who cares -- use the money you save to enjoy the city, eat out, travel, etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of San Francisco, on Market Street, midway between downtown and the colorful Castro District, our hotel is the perfect place for travelers to stay when visiting San Francisco. All our rooms feature in-room coffee, safe and hairdryer, telephone data port, and cable television with HBO/CNN/ESPN. Guests also enjoy a free continental breakfast and weekday USA Today newspaper in the lobby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your Travelodge San Francisco Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travelodge Central Hotel San Francisco
- Travelodge San Francisco