“Clean hotel, free parking”

Alexis Park San Francisco
Ranked #164 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Although this hotel is on the edge of the Tenderloin District, it's much nicer than many of the reviews on this site might lead you to believe. (Yes, the area IS iffy.) I stayed there for 2 nights and found the room to be extremely clean, nicely updated, and overall "up to par". The young adults working the front desk were fantastic - pleasant, helpful, and eager to fix anything that wasn't quite right. I think, though, that they are not usually the ones working there. Kudos to them for being so pleasant, though.

The room had a very nice couple of beds, both of which had really comfortable mattresses. However, each bed had only 1 blanket, and there were no extra blankets in the room, which I found to be really weird. My colleague and I were at a convention, in a room with 2 double beds. When we requested more blankets, the hotel only had one. ONE. Really? So she gave me the blanket and threw her coat onto her bed. That should not have to happen.

There were some weird things wrong. WiFi did not work in my room (#204). Breakfast was from 8-10 (great if you are a senior citizen on vacation, not so hot if you are a business traveler.) The housekeepers couldn't seem to remember to leave coffee cups in the room to work with the coffee pot and coffee. The lighted makeup mirror wouldn't light. The hair dryer was a gazillion years old and close to useless. And the clock radio was dead. There was no tub stopper when I checked in, but they did bring me one upon request.

The bathroom had a wonderful Toto Toilet and a shower/tub combo that is elaborate, elegant but WAY TOO COMPLICATED. You can overdue the elegance thing when something is too hard to figure out. There was a framed posted on how to work the shower, and even then, I had baths that were little more than tepid and initially assumed that they simply had the temperature turned down. Eventually, as we were about to leave, I had the Ah Ha with how to make the shower and tub water come out at a reasonable temperature. I have never seen anything like it and wish I had taken a photo of the instruction poster. To the hotel's credit, they did have the poster. But the printing on the faucet itself was super hard to read (push and turn or something along those lines)....

The last thing I have to mention is parking. I reserved this room through the travel agency used by the National Association of Realtors for the NAR conference in San Francisco. I told the reservation clerk that I needed a room with 2 beds as I had a friend sharing the room with me, but we didn't want to share a bed. What no one told me is that this hotel only allows one car per room. Had I known that upfront, I never would have made the reservations with my non-refundable payment.

Our cost was $249 per night, or $590 for two nights with taxes, fees, etc. Long story short: not a bad hotel, but way, way too expensive for both the location and the shortcomings. I'm sure the price was due to my last-minute reservation through NAR and the fact that the conference caused hotels near Moscone to sell out.

Would I stay there again? No. I think that some of the issues are fixable: the weird stuff wrong in the room, the upfront disclosures about parking, the availability of little things like blankets, coffee cups and tub stoppers. The area cannot be fixed. The price - well, that's a factor of the market. But certainly no one should pay what we did to stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank MaryPope-Handy

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I didn't feel safe there! You are greeted with a hello and a request for your driver's license and credit card thru a 2 inch glass protected window. The manager seemed defensive when I asked if this area was safe. My room was right next to the parking lot. There was lots of foot traffic too. I would not recommend this hotel for people staying alone or with families.

Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank seattlerupali
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place reminds me of prisoner cell block H except the inmates are still wandering the premises outside the cells at night!!! Rooms were filthy and smelt dirty. Carpets were sticky and got bitten after one night in the bed. Wifi is charged at 14 dollars a day but you have to deal with the reception staff to get it who say they take 30 dollars off your card. The reception is a long walk from the 'cells' and I would advise you do not walk alone in that area late at night. I got a lift on an open buggy and the porter was suggestive and perving the whole journey there and back. I literally ran up the stairs and bolted myself in the room. Avoid at all costs. It's at least a 25 minute walk to the strip also.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lauraine7
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Creepy neighborhood. Wifi did not work at all. The room was ok but they called us in the morning to know when they could go ahed and clean our room, disregarding the "do not disturb" sign we put on the door. Also loud neighborhood and thin walls, you can hear people shouting in the street in the middle of the night. This hotel is really expensive considering the poor service and the bad location. My advice is stay away from this place

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deuspi
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. This is in the mission area of San Francisco there are three missions a minute up the street and the area is flooded with homeless people and drug addicts because they stay near the missions to avoid being arrested and to get a place to stay for a night. On one evening we arrived back to find a man on the stairs to the room. We are not people who are easily intimidated or frightened but walking back to the hotel even early evening not late was quite unnerving. We were told not to walk around at night by a guide on a tour we went on.

The hotel room was ok, sink in room rather than bathroom but not a big deal. The walls are really thin and you can hear everything in the next rooms. The staff were odd to be honest for the first few days we weren't allowed in the office and had to do everything through the glass and microphone facility which doesn't help matters and in that area is not pleasant. They weren't particularly helpful either the only thing they helped with were directions for the bus to the airport.

Breakfast is not really breakfast it's cereal in the office(when your allowed in) you have to take a tray from your room and take your breakfast back with you. None of this is explained to you.

Not great and would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank stacey o
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I did not really enjoy my stay at this hotel while on my trip to US, California in August 2013. I stayed in 4 different hotels/motels during my 10 day stay in US

For the price paid, it is really not worth it to stay here.

The service rendered by the person at the counter is very poor. He is unfriendly, intimidating and not amiable at all. He's always angry. Doesn't make the stay enjoyable at all.

Breakfast does not contain a wide variety, and it runs out fast.

Wifi is pathetic and doesnt work. Might as well say "No wifi included here"

Insufficient parking space at this motel.

They do not have sufficient "Do not Disturb" signs. When I requested for no room service, I returned to the hotel only to find out that someone had entered my room to open the window curtain. This is not professional at all

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The rooms are ok, but the neighborhood is really awful. Doesn't feel safe even during daytime. Wifi wasn't working for the 3 Days we were there. Staff was not serviceminded. Stay away from the Tenderloin!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends