New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #172 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Fresno
“Budget Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Alexis Park motel is perfect for those travelers who simply want a clean room, bed, and shower. There are no frills, the parking is tight, the front desk is somewhat surly, and the immediate neighborhood may not be ideal for those who are not accustomed to urban homelessness. The Alexis Park is within walking distance of great bars and restaurants in the Tenderloin and in good proximation to venues on Van Ness. The price cannot be beat in San Francisco proper.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank seekbeauty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Firstly, it is in very bad area full of homeless people. We arrived at 11 pm to the hotel and walked most of our way there by feet with lot of suitcases, we got strange looks and I was actually scared on the streets. The hotel room overall looked very nice though, it was clean and had really nice furniture. The heating was broken or something and I was freezing the whole time until I went to the bed (February). Next thing was that we could hear our neighbors walking above us and as soon as they took shower, the water pipes where just one loud disaster. I didn't like the guy on the desk either, he looked grumpy and the breakfast was terrible. There was not much of a choice, basically some chemical overly sweeten pastry and we had to take it to our room. I came there later at 11 am and I could not even get more tea. I think tea would be good to have there all day for free.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Palo Alto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked a room at the Alexis Park for Saturday night, with plans to run the Nike Womens Marathon yesterday. But, checkout is at 11am, and we would not be back. So we asked for late checkout. No. We asked if we could leave our bags at 6am and get them later. No. The only option, according to the manager, was to leave our bags in the lobby (this is the crappy Tenderloin neighborhood) until noon, and if we weren't back by noon he would put them in a room and charge us for another night. We asked for our money back. He said he couldn't as there is a 48-hour cancellation fee. We said we wouldn't leave without our money.

Meanwhile, we checked out the room and it reeked of cleaning products and mold. We couldn't even enter it without getting a headache. The cleaning woman said there had been some sort of infestation.

We went back to the lobby and insisted that he refund our money. We refused, again, to leave without it.

He called the police.

The police said we should try to get our money back from Expedia and that we should leave. Then he started streaming obscenities at us. The police asked him to calm down and we went outside. The police officers then came outside and said he was demanding that we remove our car from the lot. But, of course, we still couldn't have our money back.

Expedia won't give us a refund unless the hotel approves it. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. So we got screwed.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hombrechtikon, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was quite skeptic, when I saw the hotel from outside. But if you are traveling alone, as business (wo)man, as a young couple, and when you are not afraid of loitering homeless people around in the area (the hotel manager took care off, to get them off the hotel area) I would recommend to go there when you are looking for a centrally located hotel for affordable rates. I would not recommend to go there when you have children or you cannot cope with the homeless people around this place. The rooms are big, recently completely refurbished, the shower-areas are totally new and modern, the free continental breakfast (which you have to take into your room because the lobby is very small) is adequate. The rooms provide a table for 2 and a desk, free Wifi, and the best of all ... free parking lots ... downtown San Francisco ... free parking lots (enough lots for everybody, at least during my stay). So, after you have closed the door of your room, everything is perfect. And you are in 10 minutest walking distance to Union square, 30 minutes walking distance to northern embankment... I mean - what can you expect more? I really had some very bad experiences with other low-budget-hotels, but with the exception of the little Saigon atmosphere around this hotel, there was really nothing to complain about. I was positively surprised. I will return there, when I am back in SF.

Room Tip: Would advise to get a room on the 2nd floor - Would make you feel more safe.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Ullrich S
La Verne, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have never been to. First, the location is not safe, there are lot of homeless people around this hotel, if you have family with little kids, highly not recommended. Second, they said there are free parking available, but the very RUDE hotel manager reserved most of parking space for his family members and himself. Yes, they all live in this hotel. All the ground floor rooms were occupied by his family. Parking lot is very small, You are lucky if you can find one. Third, the room is very dirty. Hotel staff is very bad, not willing to help and keep making mistake. I booked & paid 3 night via Expedia, the second night I went back to the hotel, they locked my room and refused to let us in. I have three little kids waiting inside the car for 2 hours, I talked to Expedia and they confirmed that we had 3 night and the hotel staff had made mistake. We waiting in the parking until 11:00pm. The manager insisted us to provide him a hard copy of the email from Expedia in process to let us in to the room, however I didn't one with me and I asked if I can use their printer which I can print the email out, believe it or not, he refused to let me use their printer. The manager might be the owner of the hotel and he thought he can do whatever he like to his customer, after all the drama, Expedia manager call him and finally we were able to get in the room. I am so so regret to stay in this hotel, please spend a little more to stay another one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank KawingM
libraryladyfo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We needed a place close to Nob Hill for my nephews FIDM graduation. Unfortunately, it was June 14 and PEEK season for S.F. We literally were just going to sleep in the room, with dinner, events, breakfast & site seeing filling our hours. So...this is a decent little motel, parking is available & free but first come first serve. Rooms are clean, but bare bones. Bathroom seemed to be remodeled but some wallpaper was coming off one bottom corner. Rooms are on the small side, double beds only, continental breakfast & free wi-fi. Staff NOT too friendly, even with much smiling and chatting NO smiles or chatting returned! :( So...I'm giving it an average.

Room Tip: NOPE...everything is noisy because you are in S.F. and on a corner. Garbage trucks, busses...but if...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lilbraryladyfo
Angwin, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was the WORST hotel experience I have ever had. This hotel is centrally located to the heart of SF and as a result, the staff feels entitled to gouge their customers. The front desk staff is RUDE, and the hotel is filthy. The maid entered our room despite the DO NOT DISTURB tag being up, and when we returned to our room to check out, the accused us of having a dog in our room?! What were they even doing in there to begin with if the sign on the door says "do not disturb," and considering the size of the room is about a big as a thumb tack, I am not sure where I would have even put the dog. Finally, I made a mistake when booking the room by accident for the wrong day, and they REFUSED to give me a refund for the mistake and charged us DOUBLE to stay for the night we needed. Overall this place for ONE night cost me $400. I will never come back here. They also photocopy your ID card, credit cards, and charge a $250 damage deposit before you can even check in. Needless to say I cancelled my card after staying here because the staff is shady, rude, and worst of all this hotel is so dirty. I found long black hair all over the bathroom floor (I have short blond hair), and when I ran a damp rag along the floor it came up BLACK. (See my photos). The carpet was stained, the comforter was stained. This place is gross, and this is coming from a college student that has travelled by couch surfing. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Best tip is to not stay here at all. If you must stay here, come for the free parking and sleep in y...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends