“Beautiful Decor, Decent Food”
Review of Gitane

Gitane
Reserve with OpenTable
Gitane is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #828 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Bush St & Kearny St
Transit: Muni: 2, 3, 4, 22, 30 Bart: Montgomery Street station
Description: Named for the freewheeling gypsy, Gitane crosses borders to create a menu that features the flavors of Southern France, Northern Spain and the adjacent regions from Italy to Morocco. Described as one of San Francisco's most romantic restaurants, the design is eclectic, from outdoor patio to soaring bar to the intimate upstairs dining room.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Having had the opportunity to frequent places like Gitane on a regular basis in NYC, we are very familiar with the atmosphere Gitane was attempting to achieve. Tapas restaurants are very trendy right now, and most places "chic" up their venue simply by lowering the lights, and playing some dance music. Gitane was no different, with two exceptions: 1) the decor was very beautiful and 2) the server was spectacularly snobbish. I say the latter with a touch of enthusiasm and a dose of appreciation. We appreciate when a server makes you feel as though you are their main concern and caters to you as though they are your personal concierge. We ordered a bottle of wine, the bacon bon bons (B+), roasted artichokes (D - overly salty and average), scallop & sweetmeat (B - consisted of 1 piece of scallop, but a very tasty one), two orders of the NY strip steak (C - cooked well but under-seasoned and lacked flavor) and chocolate pudding (B). Our bill, after tip, was $245. Overall the experience would have ranked closer to a 4, but the food failed to live up to the decor and the service.

1  Thank cloud9shopper

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We tried the tasting menu with paired wines. Each dish was prepared in a Spanish style which made for a unique experience. The wines were Spanish as well and they were all good and well paired with the courses. Theory ions were ok and the wine pours were generous.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I wanted to go to a very special place to forget about day-2-day office stress .... I found this very little dark lane, Claude's Lane, close to Union Square .... What a surprise! First you have this little terrace, very warm even at night. Enter the restaurant and be surprised by the interior design and the nice bar! I've decided to be seated outside, being in this small lane (no cars allowed) was really great to breath *fresh* air and be quiet without too much noise. Food was really nice, very typical from Spain (don't miss the charcuterie as starter!) Staff is nice and takes care of you even if it's crowded (and it was). I found this place randomly and is definitely in my top 10 best places in the Bay Area ....

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Apparently I don't like Spanish food--altho I liked it fine in Spain. The place looks good (once you find it, which is an adventure in itself) and the people were very nice, assisted my husband with his food allergies. My sole wasn't fully cooked, and the waitress and manager insisted on doing it over. Interestingly, the second time around, one of the main ingredients appeared which hadn't previously been there. Hmmm. I really disliked it anyway, so no loss. Some people apparently love this food; I thought it was generally well done but not particularly tasty. Probably best for those who think that peppers are to die for. The (comp-ed) dessert of beignets and chocolate was very good. I thought we were treated very well, I just didn't like the food much.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went here with a visiting friend. Go here if you want to dine for a night. We chose the fixed, five-course menu with wine pairing. I liked three out of the five courses probably. The dessert was huge compared to the others. Very pricey. But unique food and atmosphere, good service. For a special night out.