“A real gem...!”
Review of Level III

Level III
Reserve with OpenTable
Level III is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #570 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Mason
Transit: Powell St. BART & Muni Stations
Description: Our Look-Vibrant, Energetic, Sophisticated. Our Feel-Social, Communal, Relaxed. Our Food-Flavorful, Shareable, Memorable. Experience social food and modern cocktails at a new level - Level Three. An exciting and stylish new concept in social food and cocktails in the newly transformed JW Marriott San Francisco. Perfectly located in the heart of Union Square, this chic restaurant and lounge features a menu of delicious sharable plates crafted from the freshest, local, seasonal ingredients complemented with an extraordinary cocktail menu custom-created by acclaimed local mixologist H. Ehrmann. Situated on the third floor lobby level of the hotel highlighted by a 16 story atrium, you can dine on dramatic menu items like Seared Jumbo Scallops with Forest Mushrooms, Lobster Meat and Hobb’s Bacon; Fish Tacos with Lime Mango Salsa and Avocado Crush; Slow Braised Ale Short Ribs; and Grilled Angus Sliders.
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Level III resaturant at JW Marriott in the heart of the City just two blocks from Union Square is a real gem! Just like a well kept secret. Very good food, friendly service and a warm and inviting atmosphere surrounded by the impressive open architecture of the wide atrium with a beautiful fountain and sculpture in the center... And if you are lucky enough to find the Sony and Jerry Holland Duo performing during the Happy Hour three times a week you don't want to leave anymore! You don't even have to, since there is free valet parking during their 3-hour-performance (with $15 per person on drinks or food). Couldn't be more convenient! I'll certainly come back on a regular base just to enjoy Sony's pure and smooth, jazzy voice and Jerry's incredible Guitar playing in a great place and to treat myself to a wonderful short escape!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I have listened to Sony and Jerry Holland for a number of years at various venues in the Bay Area. Sony's pure voice and Jerry's songwriting, adaptations and guitar expertise beat any other Happy Hour experience around - no contest. We had not been to Level III at the J W Marriott until Sony and Jerry began playing there recently on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We have been there several times since and will continue to do so as long as Sony and Jerry are playing.

Level III is a fairly intimate lobby bar with a relaxed ambiance. The flat screen is above the bar and does not interfere with the atmosphere. The drinks are well crafted and the appetizers are excellent - in particular the crab cakes, scallops and mac & cheese. The bar and wait staff are friendly and attentive. The fireplace adds a nice touch.

The Union Square location is convenient to BART. Happy Hour with Sony and Jerry at Level III is the perfect way to relax after a hard workday or to begin an evening out.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The elevator opened to the third floor of the JW Marriott, Union Square, and wow--what a wonderful treat to find Sony and Jerry Holland performing. Open, airy and welcoming, the cozy atmosphere makes a perfect spot to stop before the theater--but you might stay all night!
Sony's voice is magnificent and her warmth in greeting the audience and amusing banter between songs creates a feeling of belonging immediately.The hummus and kale salads were delicious--and we were eyeing the flatbread pizza and sliders for our next visit!
A definite destination whenever we are close to the Golden Gate!
Welcome home, Sony and Jerry.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I thought I knew all about Union Square, but the Level III restaurant and lounge are a terrific surprise.

We were drawn to the place because of Sony Holland, the incomparable jazz singer who started regular performances there Wed-Fri. evenings. That entertainment was excellent, as always... but now check out the incredible lounge, with a soaring atrium, art lighting, fireplace, showpiece bar... wow!

You would never imagine such an elegant setting based on the nondescript appearance of the JW Marriott hotel at street level. We found the happy hour menu simple but perfect for enjoying the show, so much so that we stayed through dinner. The service was prompt and professional, and the manager lent his personal touch to make sure all the diners were satisfied.

We're going back tonight!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Sharon and I can't say enough about our experience at Level III. Sony and Jerry Holland are there Wednesday through Friday for happy hour, from 5 to 8, and it's the best show in town. The music is truly delightful, and the food is great--crab cakes, falafel & hummus, kale salad, sliders, portabello mushroom sandwich--all tasty and attractive! We've been twice with friends recently, and if only we were free we would be there a lot more. Sony's voice is clear, pure and true, and her delivery brings out the best in every song she sings. The songs range from jazz standards such as My Foolish Heart, My Funny Valentine, The Nearness of You, through contemporary classics, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and the iconic Over the Rainbow, with little highlights sprinkled in -- Elton John's Honky Cat, Rufus Wainwright's Sanssouci, or Dylan's All I Want To Do. For us, the highlights of every time we hear them are the songs written by Sony's husband Jerry, who accompanies Sony on guitar. His songs are so good, the first time I've heard some of them I thought I already knew them as old friends--Chestnut Street, This City is Mine, I Was No Angel Myself, In Marin, just to name a few. Speaking of Jerry, his guitar playing has gotten so good that I would drive into town any day even if Sony wasn't singing--I love it when he takes his solos, and Sony is so gracious and clearly appreciative. This is fine entertainment, sophisticated and playful, romantic and just plain good fun.

Just a quick note on the room. Frequently a bar, especially at happy hour, is an awful place to hear music, but the high ceilings and open setting let everyone talk, relax, enjoy their company, and still the music come clearly through.