“Locals eat here- not just a hotel restaurant!!!”
Review of Luce

Luce
Ranked #263 of 5,836 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: South Beach
Cross street: 5th Street
Transit: BART and Muni Stations close by (Powell Street)
Description: Approachable modern American cuisine in a newly renovated space. Consistently awarded one Michelin Star since 2009, and recipient of Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence.
Reviewed June 29, 2016

Ground level restaurant and bar for enjoyable viewing of busy San Francisco! We stayed at the hotel for 5 days and had a wide assortment of late night snacks, breakfasts and lunches- normally we AVOID hotel restaurants but when we arrived ravenous after a long day of travel-we opted for a late night snack and were hooked. I hate to pick one meal but you must try whatever in season soup the Chef has prepared for the day. We thoroughly enjoyed the grilled cheese with honey on sourdough bread. My sister in law raved about her scrambled egg breakfast insisting it was special. ??? Honestly, you cannot go wrong here. The service was attentive and helpful. Don't just trust me- locals choose to eat here.....need I say more?

Reviewed June 28, 2016

I had the steak, which probably was a mistake at a non-steak house. The portion was small and the meat was very tough and chewy. If I am getting a small steak for $40 it better melt in my mouth. This was probably the toughest steak I have ever gotten at a restaurant.

Service was bad. The waiter never came to explain the menu of to take drink orders. we ordered drinks with the rest of our meal. We had a party of 5 and they added an 18% tip, which was more than our waiter deserved.

The restaurant was not busy. There was no reason for the slow service.

Reviewed June 22, 2016

The food and wine were good but I was disappointed at the limited selection. There was not much variety to the menu. Staff was very friendly but I felt a bit rushed at the end of our meal.

Reviewed June 22, 2016

The food is only average, and because that's the main reason to go to a restaurant , I can't recommend this place. The menu selection is very limited -- six entrees, no specials, and it doesn't seem that they change the menu very frequently. I had the halibut -- it was not very flavorful, (candidly, I do better myself at home) and the portion was tiny. The service was prompt, but the waiter was very snooty (why is it that waiters at nice restaurants can't simply accept that you're not interested in more starters -- it's a restaurant, not a car dealership, and I know how to read a menu). The restaurant is beautiful -- the decor is the best thing about it. In terms of value, it's a bit pricey for what you get -- wines with a ridiculous markup, and if you were hungry, you would need a starter or two because of the small portions.

In summary, it's not an awful place -- but with at least a dozen great options nearby to choose from, unless you were staying at the hotel and there was a huge storm outside, I suggest you go elsewhere.

Reviewed June 20, 2016

Had dinner here while staying at the hotel. Menu is limited but the food was good and the staff were very helpful and attentive.