“Outstanding Southern Style Breakfast almost thought I was in Louisiana”

Brenda's French Soul Food
Ranked #24 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bonner Springs
“Outstanding Southern Style Breakfast almost thought I was in Louisiana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

How can you not love a place with a beignet flight for starters. The menu is original and broad enough to satisfy the meat and carb lovers in the group. The Hangtown fry and Grillades & Grits were a big hit, as was the Housemade Granola Pancakes with Fresh Fruit. And if you like sweet tea the Watermelon Tea is off the hook. With entree prices around $8-$13 it is a good value for the money. The wait staff was also very quick and friendly. It was one of our best breakfasts in any city.

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Walked a Long way to get Here, but Worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

There's not much I can say about this place. After a long walk through some dodgy looking streets, "Brenda's" is an oasis of sorts.

The food pictured is not all we ate, because we ordered another batch of Mac n Cheese and Fried Chicken. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was delicious. One of the greatest restaurants I've ever eaten in, certainly the best Macaroni Cheese/Fried Chicken!

If I had to recommend one dish, it would be the Oysters. I could have eaten three plates by myself.

Great atmosphere, great service, great food, and most importantly of all: great beer to help wash it down! World class stuff.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“So much food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I came here for brunch on my recent holiday to California, and it was a good start!

We started with a selection of beignet (the chocolate one is the best!), which although delicious, set us all up for a complete fail with our actual 'main' course because they filled us up too much! I don't think anyone finished anything completely after that. I had the creole veggie omelette with potato hash and a biscuit (scone?!) which was pretty nice, although I think I should've gone for the eggs florentine coz my friends' eggs benedicts looked really good! The potato hash tasted amazing tho, but was so filling I didn't even get to try the biscuit... :S my friend also said they did the best pancakes in SF so we had one of those for the table, and I can confirm it was pretty excellent! So light and fluffy. Service was attentive, and you get decent value for money for sure. Definitely worth the short wait we had outside.

London, United Kingdom
“Superb food and quite unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I went for the brunch on Sunday and had the special of pork with spicy relish, poached egg and cheddar grits. The pork was absolutely divine - slowly braised and then deep fried. It went really well with the remainder of the dish and coming from the UK I haven't tried this type of food before. The restaurant was full by 8.15am and seeing all the other dishes coming out made me want to try many more. A highlight of my trip to SF.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Found this place by chance while on a business trip. Yes, I impatiently waited outside & I was nervous about the neighborhood but once I was inside, yay, I am glad I stuck it out. First, I love Dixie Blackened Voodoo beer & yes they have it. Yum #1. Then I had a cup of gumbo, very creamy, delicious thick gumbo. Yum #2. My husband had a cup of red beans & rice with spicy smoked Andouille. Yum #3. While waiting I noticed several diners around me had ordered breakfast for lunch so that might be something to consider when you check out the menu. Big portioned breakfast platters so I can only assume it is popular. I had the creole shrimp pot pie special which was phenomenal. Creamy tasty inside, a light hand with the hot sauce & a big fluffy biscuit on top completely covered by melted lava hot cheddar cheese. Wow, it was amazing! However, caution, it is lava hot & so hard to wait to cool when it was sooo tasty. Yum #4. My husband ordered the fried chicken. As a southerner, I found it to be excellent - very crispy with great seasoning, juicy inside, just a touch too greasy served with giant biscuits they way I like them. Crunchy on the outside, creamy fluffiness on the inside. Yum #5! Wow, good thing I don't live in this town or I would be gaining lots of weight but very happy eating here.

Visited June 2014