“Beignets are the bomb!”

Brenda's French Soul Food
Ranked #24 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Beignets are the bomb!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

A friend suggested Brenda's for breakfast while we were vacationing in the bay area. So we took the California St cable car to Polk and walked the half mile or so south to Brenda's. I, of course, read the Tripadvisor reviews before we embarked on our adventure. One noted a sketchy neighborhood. Well, I can confirm that. The walk from California to Eddy wasn't the most picturesque. Brenda's is located in a real neighborhood, not in the tourist traps. We made it to the non-descript entrance without incident but didn't make eye contact along with way.

Brenda's is my kind of restaurant - non-pretentious. The wait staff was attentive and the coffee was great. I wanted to try the beignets so we ordered a flight - 1 each of plain, chocolate, apple, and crawfish along with breakfast. NOTE - a flight of beignets is breakfast enough for 2 people and my husband has a hollow leg. We scarfed them up. I am a sweet girl but I think the crawfish beignet was my favorite. The chocolate wasn't bad either. We were fat and happy then came breakfast. Butterscotch banana pancakes. I've never seen pancake this thick before. The 2 bites I was able to choke down were awesome. My husband had an omelet with a homemade biscuit (SUPER yummy). I took my pancakes home and snacked on them for the next 2 days still just as yummy and they packed syrup in the take out box. How cool is that?

Unfortunately, we could only eat there once. There were so many things in the menu that looked fabulous. Go hungry. The portions are large. And don't study the menu too closely or else you'll see all that you are missing.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
“Lived up to my expectations, and then some!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I had been wanting to come here, had even tried once but the people I was with had a baby and it started raining while we waited outside so we went somewhere else to get out of the rain.

This time, I went for lunch with some work colleagues after an event in the city. The ambiance was really cool. Very light inside with rustic, interesting decor.

We got a flight of the beignets, one of each, for a total of 4. I started with the plain one, and it was delicious. It was light and fluffy with this light taste that I could definitely had more of. Next I tried the apple cinnamon one and it blew my mind also, a perfect blend of fruit and spices in a light little pillow of heaven. Next up was the chocolate beignet. I am a chocolate lover, so this one was possibly my favorite. The chocolate was rich, milky and melted to perfection, it was delicious! I finished with the crawfish beignet. I left this one for last, I have never had a savory beignet and was not sure I was going to like it. I was pleasantly surprised. The amazing light dough and just the right amount of filling with a perfect balance of spice, wow, it was an incredible surprise.

For my main course, I split a shrimp po boy sandwich with my friend. I am not sure if I have ever had a po boor sandwich and this one set the bar incredibly high. The shrimp had a really tasty batter that seemed to have some cornmeal in it and were the most perfectly cooked shrimp I have ever had in a restaurant. I am still telling people about this sandwich. One of my other friends got a piece of fried chicken and we had a bite, it was incredible. If you are ever craving a good piece of fried chicken, this place will not let you down!

I will be coming back soon for sure!! I have already recommended it to several friends.

Toronto, Canada
“Awesome breakfast”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I visited here in September of 2012. Was definitely worth walking through a sketchy neighborhood on a Saturday morning. Got there a little early and was not open yet, came back at 815 and it was half full already. I was seated quickly and was immediately offered coffee or juice. I got both, and then ordered plain beignets and the cheddar andouille sausage omelet. You get three beignets, which are chewy and tastey. The omelet came with huge chunks of sausage, cheddar dripping out the side, homefries and toast on the side.This was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had, but make sure you are hungry bordering on starving because the portions are large and filling. Very pleasant ambience too, with jazz/souls/blues music playing. If I ever go back to San Francisco this place will be a must go. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but needed a nap afterwards...

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Darin67
Los Altos, California
“Delicious beignets”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We came for the Granny Smith apple beignets and community coffee with chicory. We were thrilled with the vibrant atmosphere, fragrant aromas, and cleanly-designed dining area. We sat on comfortable bar stools at the counter and enjoyed watching people savor every bite of their meals just as we inhaled every bite of our warm and savory beignets. We will definitely visit again.

San Francisco, California
“Like I was in New Orleans!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The beignets were amazing; make sure and order the beignet flight. The crawfish beignet was especially delicious. The watermelon ice tea was refreshing. I don't think you can go wrong here.