“Decent hotel to sleep”

Inn on Broadway
Ranked #169 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Decent hotel to sleep”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The hotel is close to public transport and while the area is not that nice to walk around in, most attractions can be reached by foot which was a big bonus for us. The rooms are quiet and mostly clean, everything is working well and the beds are okay. It was inexpensive and comfortable. The guys at the service desks seemed a bit clueless sometimes (How do I get to X? - Good question!), but tried to help. Wifi was not really working but maybe nobody complained?

Room Tip: The elevator is not the fastest => choose a lower floor if you do not like to wait or take the st...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Stefanie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Do not stay here. There are 100's of hotels that are better maintained, cheaper and have better customer service. If I were you, I would stay the Cow Hollow Inn or any of its sister hotels. They are better located and are cheaper.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jane I

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Loved our recent 3 day stay at the Inn on Broadway. Located 15-20 minutes via car from the Golden Gate Bridge.

My basic lodging requirements = clean room/bathroom + quiet location were not ignored here. Room 306 fit the bill! Shower water pressure could strip the paint off a car = excellent! Plenty of hot water too.

Sam, the check in clerk, was an excellent source for orientation to the city = Polk Street [next block and running parallel to Van Ness] for good restaurants + a Walgreens, avoid the Tenderloin district at night [all other locations would be OK]. He also furnished us with a good street map of the city.

Parking is free [!] but possibly challenging = options are either to get lucky and find an available empty space [if this happens to you, advice is to park your car and Leave it there] or, you can double park your car and leave your keys at the desk in case it has to be moved. Another option is to check for spaces in the underground garage. For the uninitiated, San Francisco is a parking nightmare. Better to use public transportation during your visit here.

While some guests have their reservations about the hotel's elevator, I loved it! Just make sure the red In Use button is not lit, open the outside door, enter the elevator and choose your floor. Be prepared for a lot of moans and groans as the elevator slowly ascends to your destination. It's a little daunting the first few times. After that, it grows on you.

Peter D's is an excellent restaurant adjacent to the hotel. Check their No Frills Coffee message before going inside. Starbucks junkies will need to go elsewhere for their morning caffeine fix.

Staying at the Inn on Broadway is a lot like flying on Southwest Airlines = no frills but they get the job done. A sense of humor goes a long way.

Enjoy

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank 46Lil
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a very old hotel, but well maintained. You definitely get what you pay for. For the price, it does its job. If you want fancy and new, go elsewhere. If you want inexpensive and comfortable, this is your place. Our room was clean and welcoming. The guy at the front desk was super helpful and gave us a map which proved invaluable, helping us get around. Parking was not a problem, even if there aren't enough spaces for every room...every effort was made to ensure a parking space is available, even if you get back late in the evening. The location of the hotel is great - within walking distance to lots of restaurants and attractions. The trolley is only a few blocks away, and there is a bus that runs up and down Van Ness (getting you to Fisherman's Wharf). The restaurant attached to the hotel has a great breakfast, which is very convenient. The room itself was clean and quiet (even though it's on a main street). The water pressure in the shower was incredible! There is a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in the room. The only problem we had was the flakey WIFI. They reset their routers many many times and I don't think it ever really worked for us. Which was fine because we were only in the room to sleep. Kids complained, but they survived.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanee G
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I booked a room online in advance for this hotel for $174 a night. In comparing prices of other hotels that close to the piers and Golden Gate, I figured that was probably average for the area. After check in, I was in the lobby and overheard the woman at the desk offer a room for $119. Then, when the people decided that was too much, she offered it to them at $99 a night! After they left, I told her we paid MUCH more than that and I wanted some money back, and she said she couldn't do anything because we had already paid. She said the prices vary, but basically it's more if you book online. WHAT?? It's $75 a night more because I made it convenient for them by making the reservation myself? I was livid! We had already paid for the two nights, so we stayed, but we had a reservation for one night a couple days later that I had also booked online for $194. I immediately canceled that. When we got back into San Francisco, we went back to this hotel to see what they would charge. They told me $119 a night! So if you book online, you will be $75 more than if you just walk in and ask for a room. I've sent an email asking for some money back, but I'm not holding my breath. PATHETIC!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Sue4123
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 23, 2014

When we arrived at 3:40 pm to check in(check in 3:00 pm), they gave us our key and we parked. The elevator was not working right and after waiting for 10 minutes ( it was one of those old elevators were the door has to be firmly closed for it to work), an employee finally shut the door and sent the 1 and only elevator to the garage. We got to our room to find the maid still cleaning it. She could not communicate with us and I had to use the stairs to return to the lobby. The manager told methat was the only room and we would have to wait. We were tired after flying all day and when I returned to room to tell my friends they pointed out the condition of the room and said they didn't want to stay here. We tried to get our money back but were told we had pre-payed and not entitled to a refund. We disputed the charge with Am Ex and two months later find out that the hotel told Am Ex that we "availed" the stay for 2 days. A TOTAL LIE! We got another hotel on Lombard for less $$ that was a much finer hotel. When I lived in SF in the early 90's there was a big scandal with the Patels running slum hotels in the tenderloin and taking advantage of the poor. I guess they have moved up a notch and now take advantage of the not so poor! No wonder they offer non-refundable rates for less. Once you see the hotel you would never stay there.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chris E
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

The outside appearance doesn't do this place justice. The rooms are very clean and updated - with a toddler my main concern is cleanliness. Great location, we were able to walk to a lot of places and were able to enjoy the city. Awesome breakfast/lunch restaurant on site. Free garage parking also. It's not the $400 rooms you can go up a few blocks and pay for - but worth the money and definitely served the purpose of our stay.

• Stayed June 2014