“Good choice for stay in”
Review of Francisco Bay Inn

Francisco Bay Inn
Ranked #149 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels in the area, good service, I recomend to stay here, wi-fi internet.
good location, very clean, big parking lot, access to diferent places. We got tickets to tours easy from the office. and more...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Abe32

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I am writing this from the Francisco bay inn - this is our third night here. So far, we have only had housekeeping visit once, and, although it is midnight, there are children running up and down the stairwells shrieking as though some form of chemical bomb has been released. I feel as though I am in a third world county / post-apocalypic movie set.

When we arrived at the inn on our first night the (VERY UNFRIENDLY) clerk did not have our registration on file, despite our printed confirmation receipt. He then called another staff member - I'm guessing a senior person - where he proceeded to have a very long conversation about my two friends and I, even though we were standing right in front of him. He gave us no further updates on our room for 30 minutes as he helped other people. Eventually, 60 minutes later, he finally checked us in, telling us we were "lucky to have the last room", despite our reservation being made 3 months ago. We finally got to our room, tired and thirsty, I called back down to the front desk to ask if there was a bar close by. He told me that he didn't know, then gave me directions which, after wandering around the city in the rain, I eventually surmised were incorrect. We then returned to our room, still hungry, and attempted to go to ask the front desk if they knew of any food places that might still deliver at 10.30pm. By this time he had locked the lobby door and, despite ringing multiple times and the fact I could clearly see him and make eye contact, refused to come to the door.

We went to bed hungry and miserable, comforting ourselves with the prospect of breakfast being served the next morning. BIG MISTAKE. "Breakfast" is a tray of poor quality pastries, left out next to the reception desk on first come first served basis. This is washed down with coffee that tastes like toilet water and the pleasant atmosphere of sharing two available seats with 25 other people and a hostile front desk team member. Not fun.

The location is OK. The website makes it seem more central than it is, and it is NOT close to any eating establishments. However, for me it is a 10 minute walk to fishermen's wharf, and this is it's only redeeming factor. However, FAMILIES BEWARE: if you have strollers, this is NOT an easy walk to do. Also, despite the little monsters I have encountered, I would not say this is family friendly at all - seems to attract a less desirable crowd, and came home at 8.30 pm to a group of obviously drunk and scantily clan young women drinking in the parking lot heckling passers by.

I will concede that this was an affordable option for us, but I would rather spend the extra money next time and stay somewhere nicer, or stay in a hostel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank R A
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Avoid. Flies everywhere in the room, don't know where they were coming from. No wifi - no signal, despite being told it worked, wouldn't work on anything (laptop / iPad). Terrible staff - didn't care, wouldn't provide another suitable room.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We vacationed in San Fransico for 3 days in May 2012 and stayed at the Francisco Bay Inn. The Front desk help was very friendly and helpful. Nice clean room and No charge for parking. Walking to Fisherman's Wharf, Trolley cars, shopping and eating was very convenient from the hotel. We will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this property last weekend. Easy check in. Nice clean room. Good Parking on property too. No Charge for parking either.

This is my 1st time. I would stay here again when I am in the area.

Room Tip: Some higher rooms have a view of the area.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Alan W
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I will stay here again. It was good value for the price, especially if you need (or want) parking, a refrigerator and microwave, and free Internet. The location works for me, too. it is an easy walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Whole Foods, and bus lines. My room was very clean and had a large, recently-remodelled bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, not facing Lombard, because it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Susan C
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Where do I start ! Well how about every floor flooded including stairways. Wet stairways. Broken elevator so you have to climb 4 floors to your room. Dirty sheets, and bathroom, dressing table wallpaper and bathroom cabinet in ill repair doors falling off. Trying to grab coffee and it is instant with a spoon in it for multiple users. What about trying to get a donut at the front desk and have the carpenters and elevator repair people go before you. Breakfast is as other reviewers said on a small counter in office. Bananas were green, there is no place to sit and eat you have to bring back to your room.

We had to leave unexpectedly because of a family death and they would not refund our last day. We stayed two of our three days thinking we would make the most of it. We reserved superior king rooms, but were given double bed and when asked them why they offered no reason. Just said well you got two beds......we wanted the King Room we reserved.

We left so fast because of our family members death that we forgot our car and house keys in the room. We called the hotel to try and recover them and were told that the maids have a separate office that is only open 8am to 4 pm. The manager and front desk people have no idea what is lost or put in lost and found only the maid. So no one else is aware of things lost or able to recover them for you.

Noisy street, no restaurants that are affordable within 7 blocks. This hotel is a 7 block up and down hike to the wharf and other activities. Office staff are not at all helpful or friendly. There are other afordable hotels nearby. Holiday Inn , Holiday Inn Express, Sheraton, and Radisson pay a little more and be closer to the activities. San Francisco weather can be cloudy cold and windy walking can be unpleasant.

I have stayed all over the world including Europe, Mexico, and Middle East this is the worse ever. We would have stayed our three days had not the death occurred. They absolutely refused to refund our last day stay, so if you book be prepared to stay or loose. Very rude and bad business practices.

Room Tip: Stay close to wharf pay a little more, it is worth it. Radissson, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family