“What a quirky little place...”

Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #52 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

For my first time visiting SF we booked this hotel. The reason? Because we have a 10 year old son and thought that the colour scheme and vibrant look would appeal to him. Well, it certainly appealed. To all of us. We loved this little place. Clean rooms and very friendly staff. Free parking. Wifi. Coffee. Loved loved loved... ( breakfast is a quick snack though) thank you for a lovely stay. Well recommended. And my heart has been left in San Francisco for sure. Beautiful place. Lovely people...a happy place to be...my best ever holiday for sure. Thank you HDS. And SF.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Ron R, Front Office Manager at Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent stay with us!

I am happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that our complimentary parking, wifi and breakfast made your trip more comfortable!

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel Del Sol when your travels bring you back to San Francisco!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for three days in April. We had an excellent time, and would definitely stay here again. When we arrived, the manager went out of his way to get us a room with two beds, which was not guaranteed by our reservation. He also gave us an overview of the best ways to get around the city, and some ideas on places to eat.

I especially liked the ability to drive right inside the hotel and park underneath the rooms -- just like driving home into your own garage. The pool and family friendly areas of the hotel also contributed to the comfortable, friendly, pleasant environment. And of course, we won't forget the afternoon home made cookies!

The location is in a good neighborhood near to the Marina district, Fisherman's Wharf, lots of shops and restaurants, and public transporation. Lots of fun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Ron R, Front Office Manager at Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Del Sol and that our Front Desk Staff were accommodating and helpful both with providing a room of preference as well as giving you an overview of the area and all it has to offer!

I'm also delighted that you found our parking and other hotel features to be comfortable and inviting! We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel Del Sol whenever your travels next bring you to San Francisco!

Please contact me if I may be of any assistance with making a future reservation.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

As noted in TA and other sites this hotel is a splendidly refurbished motel from another era. But the facilities have been made very fresh and whimsical inside and out. Cheerful colors abound in the courtyard and the rooms are bright and nicely furnished. We stayed in Room 317 which had windows facing a back street with little traffic. The room was spacious, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom superclean (as was the rest of the room). My only issue was that this particular room had spotty wifi connectivity. The management is aware of this and I suspect that this may be rectified in the future. One can sit at a table in the courtyard where the reception works well but it was a bit cold to do that when we were visiting. But 317 was so comfortable that, when we needed better connection, we went over to the Starbuck's on Chestnut Street just a couple of blocks away. Really nice place and a real value since there is free parking - a rarity in Fan Francisco! I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Note comment in my review!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

What can I say... the Hotel Del Sol has to be the best place I have stayed in the US, or maybe even the world!
Great location, parking and nice rooms (the upgrade on check in was also very welcome!)
Staff were so helpful. It's great when you get to a new city to have someone show you on a map exactly where you are and how to get to places you want to visit as well as receiving some fabulous restaurant recommendations.
I have already recommended Hotel Del Sol to all of my friends who are thinking of visiting San Fransisco and urge anyone who reads this to book without further delay!
I am truly hoping to be able to return there one day

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Ms. Sutcliffe,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Hotel Del Sol!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - including the upgrade provided at check in as well as our Front Desk Staff giving you an overview of the surrounding area with excellent dining options!

We strive to provide exceptional service and a relaxing environment here at the Hotel Del Sol and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have just spent two days at the Hotel del Sol in San Francisco in one of their family rooms. The room was perfect, it had an adjoining room where there was a kids bed and then another pull out bed underneath. The rooms could have done with a lick of paint and a bit of an overhaul, but they were clean and had everything we needed in them, including a sink and fridge. The kids loved the fact they could go downstairs every afternoon and grab cookies and lemonade and we felt that it was safe enough for them to go downstairs and hang out on the huge hammocks which they adored (while I watched from the top balcony) The hotel is really more of a motel style and in light of this I thought the price was a bit steep ($695 for two nights stay) I think that if I was going to pay those prices I would expect a more high end place to stay, but because we had the family room it suited us fine and I suppose the $300 + price tag per night is because in effect you are booking two rooms.....but still!! So it wasn't great value for money, but a very lovely hotel to be in, free parking was a real bonus and also very close to lots of great shopping and restaurants within walking distance. I would definetely recommend to families with young children.

Room Tip: It's very difficult to book the family room online via their website, so I emailed the hotel dir...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Ron R, Front Office Manager at Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us!

I'm happy to hear that the Family Suite was comfortable and that your kids enjoyed our afternoon cookies and lemonade as well as the relaxing hammocks in our courtyard!

We are currently in the process of refurbishing all of our guest rooms and suites! This includes new paint, furniture, mattresses as well as renovated bathrooms and showers!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon so you and your family can experience our completely renovated Family Suite!

3100 Webster St.
San Francisco, CA 94123

jdvhotels.com

Office 415-921-5520
Fax 415-931-4137
Reservations 877-433-5765

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a great location for travelers looking for something a little less touristy than staying in Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf. The room is very basic but clean with comfortable beds. My only complaint is the relatively small bathroom with no counter space - making it slightly challenging to get ready but not a deal breaker.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from the Hotel Del Sol!

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be convenient, even though we are located slightly outside of the city center.

We are in the process of renovating all of our rooms and suites, including the bathrooms and showers! The size of the bathrooms will remain the same, however the refurbishment will allow for much more counter top space.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future so you may experience one of our newly refurbished rooms!

3100 Webster St.
San Francisco, CA 94123

jdvhotels.com

Office 415-921-5520
Fax 415-931-4137
Reservations 877-433-5765

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here August 2012 for the Outside Lands Festival. The hotel is located in a great area within walking distance to great bars and restaurants. The staff was great and very accommodating. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple