“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #78 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Tijuana, Mexico
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have stayed here two times because the location is good, you can go walking to the Fisherman's Wharf and Columbus avenue, or go up hill to the crookedest street (Lombard). The hotel is old but clean and comfortable. On a clear day you can see the Golden Gate from the rooms facing Lombard St. If you only need the hotel to sleep and get a bath, this is a good place to stay. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a restaurant, so take this into consideration. We had our breakfast at the Chestnut Diner, a block away on Chestnut St., and then we could just walk or take the bus (30 or 47) and get on our way.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Lombard St. can be noisy from the traffic. If you are a light sleeper, take this into c...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great place to stay. Irene at the front desk was very helpful when we needed to extend our stay. Thank you, Irene. There are two café/restaurants right beside it. One street over on Chestnut was a wonderful breakfast/lunch café. Great food. Request a back room as the front rooms get all the traffic noise.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are the best. No street noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is an older motel not too far from the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area, and within walking distance of the crooked part of Lombard Street. It is in a bit of a dead area in terms of cafes, restaurants, and shops, but is close to a couple of bus routes which get you to different areas of the city. Free parking is good.

We were confronted by the super grumpy Pavel upon checkin who told us we could not check in until 3 P.M. (sure, we were there at 2 P.M. but usually it's not a big deal) and this was about all he said to us, no hello, no welcome, just grunted at us to come back after 3. A few pleasantries wouldn't go astray and every time we saw Pavel he was just unpleasant - the only receptionist in a hotel I have encountered ever to not say hello as his guests pass him in the lobby.

Our room was quite large but it took a rickety (and I noticed the safety permit was out of date by nearly a year) elevator ride to get to it. The room was at the back so was really quiet which was good. Bed was comfortable enough. A few weird things about the room - no fridge - what kind of hotel in this day and age doesn't have a refrigerator for guests? Also, the shower head was at a weird place, where it came out of the wall roughly about chest height (and I'm only 5"4 so not tall) so washing anything above your shoulders, especially your hair, took some serious back-bending acrobatics. Housekeeping did a bare job of tidying the room (not that we leave our rooms dirty, we just usually have the beds made) - they didn't bother putting the decorative pillows back on the bed or folding towels back up we had left hanging to dry - two things that usually happen in hotels.

However, despite the lack of fridge, scary/unsafe elevator, and the horrible customer service, free parking, a cheap room rate, and decent location make the hotel fine enough for a few days stay in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property as it is quieter. Try and have a lower level so you don...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Good price hooked me. The surprise was the interest that the front desk staff took in helping with meals and bus routes. Be extremely careful parking in the garage little margin of error. Would highly recommend this Inn.

Room Tip: Be careful parking.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been staying in the Marina district for about a year every time I come to San Francisco and I found this place on my last visit! The hotel is a classic motel style property that is undergoing or has undergone a complete remodel and the results are great. Decently sized rooms, new furniture including mattresses, desks and dressers. The floors are immaculate, hardwood (engineered hardwood), natural stone counters and showers - all brand new and very, very clean!

Check it out, great place and well maintained, ask for a remodeled room, though it looks like they'll all be done within a month or so!

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hawthorne, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

I stayed at one of this hotel’s sister properties [Chelsea Motor Inn] 4 years ago, which was quite nice, perfect for couples, newlyweds, etc. However if you’re a walker and prefer your sightseeing by foot, the property is located further along Lombard, further away from Van Ness and closer to the old Presidio and Golden Gate Bridge. Van Ness Blvd. hooks you up with Fisherman’s Wharf on one end, downtown civic center/Market St. on the other.

4 years ago as I passed Lombard Motor Inn [a building or so from the intersection of Van Ness and Lombard] enroute to Chelsea, I vowed on my next visit to the city if I stayed in or near this neighborhood – I would try this inn. Not bad.

It’s “not exactly” the outwardly appealing building as Chelsea. The room I stayed in was not “as posh” as Chelsea [no desk] but everything was at par.

I arrived late on a Thursday night [just as I had informed the staff I would] and sure enough as I walked up to the window for check in - my check in paperwork was on the clerk’s counter alone [must have been expecting an important guest].

Clean, quiet and safe [my priorities equal to price], an “easy moderate” walk up Van Ness places you at the wharf in 15 minutes. 20 minutes the other way and you’re almost at the civic center. And there’s both a Walgreen’s and CVS nearby.

Not a bad place at all.

Room Tip: Rooms toward rear of property [as in most cases] tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night before flying out of San Francisco. I had read that this was a great hotel, and was somewhat disappointed when we checked in. We were sent to a room that hadn't yet been cleaned from the previous guest. Not wanting to waste time, we set out on foot to Fisherman's Wharf, which was about a 15 minute walk. The room was ready for us when we got back a few hours later.

I would not say this hotel is anything more than decent. The room is average sized, and there were no real "extras." What had sold me on this hotel was the free covered parking, and the management did allow us to keep the rental car there until 4pm the day we checked out. That was a plus. I can't really make any negative comments, but it sure did not impress. For the money, it did provide a clean, comfortable place to land for one night when passing through San Francisco. I would not have wanted to stay there for longer, however. If going back to SF, I would likely stay someplace else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family