“Convenient Base”

Ranked #79 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Convenient Base”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Hotel within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, China Town etc but don't forget to factor in the steep hills! Hotel room was basic but clean & functional. Nice large comfortable bed. Our room faced out front and was VERY noisy from the Lombard St traffic. This WILL keep you awake at night, unless you are very hard of hearing. Reception staff did not make much effort to be personable. Parking looked like a good bonus, although we didn't use it. Would recommend for a budget, conveniently located base if you don't intend to spend much time in your room. Ask for a room at the back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheWarwick1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Korean first
Marietta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

So let me start off by doing this- My name is Romin Alavi and my cell # is (678)360-2508. I provide that so you know I am NOT an employee, affiliate, etc. I was really hesitant to stay here because of the name. My experience is that any name with "motor inn" is going to suck. So I went to this place really apprehensive that it would be a roach infested, nasty and stinky place. When I got there I was immediately surprised that it was in a good part of town, 10 mins walking to the Fisherman's Wharf and right on the bus line (although I always took taxis, which were abuntant and cheap). I have stayed in SF many times for work, about 1x a month. I have paid 5x what I paid for the Lombard Motor Inn, and gotten far less. The bathroom is immaculate (that is the biggest thing for me), with marble floors and absolutely no mildew (which I expected bc of the rate and name), and the bed, good god, that was the best sleep I have had in a long time. I found out it was because the mattresses were posturepeic, expensive mattresses. I would say that they possibly are not the best mattresses for sex, only because they are not very springy, but for sleep, which is all I needed it for, they were awesome.

Maybe now you understand why I started off with my phone number and name. Like I say, my only reason for providing a review, which I don't think I have ever done before, was because I was so impressed and pleasantly surprised by this place. I would say it is better than any Holiday Inn I have stayed in at SF. There are plenty of channels on the TV, nice furniture, and everything looks very well maintained. It does not have a fitness center, but I paid about $15 to work out at the Crunch Fitness for the whole week. That is within walking distance (less than a 5 min walk). Also, its SF, so if you don't want to go to the gym you can walk/run and get your exercise. There are no add-on charges for things like movie rentals, mini-fridge, etc. so I really don't know how they are making money.

The staff is very helpful and courteous, parking is free (which in other hotels I have stayed in in SF I have paid up to $28 a night!!!

The whole "don't judge a book by its cover" crap my mom used to say is actually right in this case. Don't judge a motel by its seedy, dull name. This place is better than Holiday Inn, as clean and updated as a Hampton Inn (which I really like) and overall just an awesome place to stay.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was on the side that faces a courtyard. It was great, but rooms on the other si...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Romin A
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Free parking! Newly renovated clean room Spacious and close to Fisherman's' Wharf , Chinatown and the Golden Gate Bridge. The view from our room 305 balcony is excellent. The bed is memory foam 14 inches thick soft and comfy. My wife loved the pillows. There is a small Cafe Lombard across the street the breakfast was excellent. If you need an affordable hotel with free parking look no further. Irene at the front desk was very helpful with hints and recommendations for sights.

Room Tip: For views 3rd floor street side are the best! View of Golden Gate
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OUTBACKBIKES
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This motel is close to a lot of attractions. There are good public transit options that get you wherever you need to go, economically and quickly. It is very clean, quiet, and comfortable. The room and bathroom are both good-sized. It has parking too, but we took public transportation all the way from the airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bar6bara
Lancaster, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

San Francisco has a row of hotels along what is officially the 101, but is in fact regular residential streets. This one is about the farthest east and is about the most convenient to China Town, Fisherman's Wharf etc. We found all the attractions along the northeast bay front to be within walking distance, though we are, admittedly avid walkers. Free parking is a terrific perk for the area. The neighborhood is a bit posh which is nice, but the nearby restaurants are expensive. This is about half the price of the hotels in the next closest clump closer to Fisherman's Wharf. Nice comfortable room, good amenities. I would stay there again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert P
Petaluma, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here just one night, as we were having dinner in SF and didn't want to drive home (about an hour drive). The motel is on Lombard, right off Van Ness Avenue. We know what a busy area this is, so I requested a quiet room in the back, which they gave us.
It was very quiet. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean and it looked like the bathroom had been recently remodeled. The rate was very good, so it was perfect for our needs. Free parking too, which is a big plus in S.F.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face Lombard Street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Warm welcome ,free parking ,a real bonus. Good size room ,spotless. Very good value for money. Unfortunately very noisy. I live in London so am well used to traffic and noise but this was something else. Whilst in San Francisco we were fortunate enough to see the space shuttle ,it went through my mind at the time what it is possible for man to achieve ,what a pity he has never got around to the double glazing at the Lombard.......

Room Tip: Try and get a room off the road ,other wise take your ear plugs
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family