“Comfortable stay”

Ranked #151 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Perth, Australia
“Comfortable stay”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Chose this hotel for a last minute stay (3 nights) because it was one of the cheaper, better hotels. It was a comfortable stay and I was happy with my choice. Nice rooms; not much of a view (facing the inner, empty courtyard) but at least it was mostly quiet. Minor complaints include they would not let me check until after 3pm, basic breakfast and walls were a bit thin. But for the included wifi and breakfast, it really was an enjoyable stay and I would stay there again. I could walk to the cable car line, Chinatown and Union Square (10-30 min walk depending on your fitness) . As long as you stay clear of the Tenderloin (a few streets away), I think you should be quite safe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We go to San Francisco quite a bit and know hotels do not come cheap. Normally, we stay outside the city to save money but decided to stay here because we got a really good price. The room, though small, was as charming as could be! After checking in, we were only in our room for about thirty minutes before leaving for dinner so the front desk staff allowed us to keep our car curbside for easy access. The complimentary breakfast was decent. We had just enough time to grab a quick bite while waiting for our car. This is by no means a luxury hotel but found Nob Hill to be refreshing in its quirkiness and charm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BWBradford
Claremont
Reviewed June 5, 2013

For the price, I did not expect 5 star accommodations. However, I have stayed happily at many mid-priced boutique hotels yet found that the Nob Hill just didn't meet my minimum expectations. I can forgive the gaudy, cheap Norma Swanson after the crack up decor. In fact, that kind of kitsch is usually all in fun for me. However, I need a room that works and is clean.
We booked two rooms at this hotel for a 3 day holiday for my husband's 50th with our two 20 something year old daughters. One room was supposed to be "deluxe". I expected a little more room and a better bed. Our daughters were given the "deluxe" room on the ground floor even though that was supposed to be our room. Our room was on the third floor. Both rooms smelled musty and my daughters' room smelled of old sweat when we opened the door for the first time. Their room was indeed bigger, but the bed was a standard full size that filled most of the room it was placed in. The culprit for the smell in both rooms was most likely the carpeting which as dingy and very stained. So much so, that though I'm not squeamish, it took me a while to resign myself to the idea of walking on it barefoot. Our room had no air conditioning and it was quite warm and muggy though the temperature outside did not go above the 60s during our stay. We had to sleep with both windows wide open. Neither window had a screen (thank goodness SF isn't prone to mosquitos or other bugs). The first night I was awakened at 2 in the morning by our amorous neighbors in an adjacent room who also apparently had to keep their windows wide open, that was compounded by what sounded like Russian dancing overhead based on the stomping, and wild drunken revelry from open windows in the floors below. I was up for almost 2 hours with all the commotion. The toilet handle was not working properly, and it would run incessantly or not flush until jiggled with in just the right way. The lights over the sink did not work, but would strobe randomly on and off. All of this would still have earned this hotel between 2-3 stars in my book because of its low price, BUT then at check out they charged me almost $140 more than the rate they had booked and received a confirmation for on their own website. When I pointed this out, the person at the front desk said they did not have information about the booking rate there and asked if I had booked through a third party site. I explained that I had booked through their site and produced the confirmation page showing the total owed including taxes and fees. I asked that he abide by the contract and refund the difference in fees. He said he could not du so since his manager was at a meeting and could not be reached. I asked him to make a copy of the confirmation page with the price on it, and to call us that day to confirm that they would be issuing a refund. He said he would do so. No one called. Yesterday my husband called them and had to take time out of his workday to again request that they abide by their confirmed reservation price. They finally agreed after hemming and hawing. Today the full overcharged amount came out of our account with no adjustment. As of now, I'm calling this a bait and switch. This should not have been an issue. It should not have occurred in the first place. How is it that they don't know what they are charging through their own website? They should have credited the amount the minute I was able to produce a copy of the confirmation with the amount from their website. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Beatrice C

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Where do I start? We had trouble convincing the cab driver that we were staying in Nob Hill.
I do not recommend this hotel the area is dangerous and there are gangs close byand homeless that become aggressive when you say no.
The hotel is uncomfortable, cramped, it was being painted when we were there in April 2013, the staff were rude, unhelpful, they forgot to mention we had breakfast included in our deal.
We could barely move in this room it was a single room with two queen beds, an ensuite and a robe.
it was almost impossible to navigate the extremely narrow hallways when the housekeeping staff were trying to do their job and had bundles of laundry piled against the walls along with their trolleys.
Reception staff were very rude and dismissive of any questions. The day we were checking out we asked if the man looking after reception could call a large cab as there were four of us with 4 pieces of luggage plus our carry on and he refused to and suggested we flag one down on the street which we tried but our luggage kept rolling down the steep hill. I eventually told him I was contacting my travel agent about his attitude he then got out of his chair and helped us get a cab and helped the cabbie pack our luggage in.
The décor was busy to say the least and the elevator was an experience there was a small white door with a very small window this window was to let you see if the elevator has arrived . If it has you can then open the door, pull the gate across and enter very early 20th century at least '60's.
This hotel caused my wife to cry as we had stayed at a hotel closer to union square last time.
I think it also reflects where San Francisco is at we stayed in 2009 and loved it but never again.

Room Tip: the best room would be at another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brett C
Georgetown,Cayman
Reviewed May 18, 2013

great location in down town, five min walk to union square, plenty of convenient shop, a coffee shop nearby if you dont want the hotel freebreakie, but i always am back in the hotel just on time for the free wine in the evening, which is always good ^-^ the bed and pillows are surprisingly comfy, had three nights of good sleep and shower aint bad too, love their organic (so they claim) shampoo and body cream (surprisingly too) ...YES I woul recommend this budget hotel with a charm to all would be travelers in San Francisco!

Room Tip: queen room facing the street worked for me
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Summary: Quaint and comfortable hotel with helpful staff. Would happily recommend.

Requirements/expectations: We were three girls travelling the states on a pretty small budget. Unfortunately, we were stranded in San Francisco (we originally booked into a dire hostel in a rather unsavoury part of town) and had to book same-night accommodation urgently. As such, we splurged for somewhere above our usual budget. The reviews weren't stellar, so our expectations were middle of the road.

Experience: This hotel far exceeded my expectations, we really couldn't have asked for more. The location was ideal, only around a half-hour walk to the wharf. We made several queries at the front desk over the course of our stay and every person we spoke with was helpful and friendly. The room was a good size, perfectly clean and very comfortable. Excellent facilities: large TV, wifi, fridge and a microwave in the room (when you're on a budget, having the option of not eating out for once is very welcome and there was a convenience store only a short walk away) as well as a computer and printer available in the lobby. Bathroom was a little small, but facilities were all fine and the shower was hot. The breakfast included was good quality too - pastries, fruit, toast and cereal. Though the room it was served in was quite small it was never crowded.

The decor is rather idiosyncratic - very plush, maybe a little dated and not to everyone's taste - but for our needs this was neither here nor there. If anything it made the room feel luxurious, as you can tell a lot of thought had gone into dressing it up. I suppose I'd recommend having a look at their website or the gallery here if that's something to which you're sensitive. I don't think the room had a view either (if I recall correctly it was the back of some other buildings), but again, that was immaterial to our needs. The only other minor issue we had was that the card key for the door was a bit problematic at times, but nothing that would prevent me recommending the hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A great little hotel in the middle of everything with a super Italian located on the ground floor. There are perhaps elements of this hotel that could do with a makeover or modernising, but on the whole, we found our stay stress free and enjoyed the location.

Our room was small, but not too small that it wasn't manageable. The bathroom and toiletries were fresh everyday and the in-room fridge and coffee maker came in handy. We were most impressed by the rooftop area which we used for some fresh air at night before bed and to catch some sun in the afternoon.

Overall, we would stay there again as it was good value for money. A good breakfast with friendly, helpful staff and after arriving back late on our second night, the Italian Restaurant cooked us a pizza which we took it upstairs to eat as it was closing. There are also a few decent wine bars and a lovely organic cafe on Hyde (further up the hill).

It is worth getting a MUNI pass whilst in San Francisco as this allows you to use all forms of transport whilst there making it easier to get around.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple