“Nice location, but claustrophobic”
Review of Nob Hill Hotel

Nob Hill Hotel
Ranked #152 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the Nob Hill for one night in early April 2013. Pretty last-minute; booked it through Travelocity. Looked like a good deal in a nice part of town.
It is. But the rooms (at least the one I had, #500) are terribly small. Old-fashioned, sink in the bedroom, but really just a couple of feet on either side of the bed to maneuver. I didn't mind the funky ancient elevator, although I did beg them for a quiet room and 500 shares a wall with this relic of engineering. I couldn't get the door to open when I checked in, so someone from the front desk came up and let me in. A mite worrisome, I thought, but once I learned the trick, I got in without problem.
Parking, of course, is impossible, so I spent the $32 and had Rock Star Parking take my rental car away somewhere. The loading zone in front of the hotel was always vacant when I needed it, so I can't complain.
But it was just too small and cramped. When everybody and his dog appeared for breakfast at the same moment, the minuscule breakfast room became a scrum real fast.
So the people at the front desk were nice, and the price was reasonable. I may be asking too much of a downtown hotel. But I'll go to the Marriott next time.

Room Tip: Book in advance, and ask for one of the bigger rooms, away from the lift.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank siebesich

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Within walking distance of the Powell St. and UN BART stations, this classically decorated building has an old-style elevator and Italian restaurant on site. Rooms have big soft beds, fridges, microwaves, small TVs, strong/free wifi, and nice bathrooms. Free continental breakfast was basic but adequate. Staff were helpful. The great location, original design and low price make this an easy suggestion and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Terrible hotel, I would definitely discourage anyone from staying here. The bedsheets had been slept in - hair and stains!! When we reported this to the staff, they were extremely rude and unhelpful, treating us as an inconvenience. It took over one and half hours before they would change the sheets, despite the fact we had a young child who needed to go to bed. The room was tired and dirty, and much, much smaller than is shown on the internet. The corridors and stair cases are filthy. Don't waste your money - stay somewhere else. A truly disgusting hovel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed here twice, the first time in 2010. I had such an enjoyable stay that when I came back to San Francisco in 2012 I booked this hotel again.
The rooms are extremely comfortable and immaculate. Location wise it is brilliant it is close to Union Square (but not to close that you can hear the hustle and bustle of everyone) it is ideal for the Cable Car route (it doesn't stop outside but when you do get off the Cable Car it is a nice walk down to the hotel)

The staff were excellent and made me and my partner feel incredibly welcome.
Reception staff were friendly and very helpful. The cleaning staff were very friendly and incredibly professional.

All in all excellent stay and we will definitely be coming back when we are in San Francisco next.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is well located for Central SF, we walked to Union Square and if you can take the hills Fisherman's Wharf isn't too far, and of course Hyde Street is on the Cable Car network, although not the section right outside the hotel. It is an old historic building with a lot of character but we did find our room to be very cramped particularly compared to everything else we stayed in on our trip. Front desk staff were helpful and friendly and breakfast was fine. The stair carpets were pretty dirty but as decorating works were underway I guess they're due for cleaning or changing once this has finished.
The only other moan I have about this hotel is the pet policy ( it allows them). This is a compact inner city hotel with no outside space and seems unsuitable for pets ( dogs usually). When we were there a guest brought their dog into the breakfast room and later the same dog dumped a pile of you know what on the stairs. Yes this is down to an irresponsible owner but does show that a review of this policy may be needed.
Would I go back again, you bet, even with the negatives it's good value and SF is a great city but next time I'll remember my hat, scarf, coat and gloves!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are more light and airy. We moved up from 2nd to 5th floor and it much better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is wonderful. The location is really good. It has been recently remodeled and they did a great job modernizing while preserving old-world charm. Very helpful and kind staff. The rooms are immaculate and the beds are very comfortable. Really can't beat it for the price. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for about a week for a business trip, but I am familiar with the area from living in San Francisco for many years.

I guess the goldrush bordello feel of this place is appealing to some tourists, but the building has been badly maintained over the years. The furniture, while some old and some retro, looks as though it has been in use since the 1870s. The room had some odd design choices, the entire room was stenciled to look like wallpaper (was smudgy hand stenciling seriously cheaper than wallpaper?) and there was a chandelier over the bed. The bathroom light fixture started leaking water just as I was falling asleep during my last night there. The solution? Call the person in the room above me and advise them to please not use the shower. Good enough for my one night left, but I hope that wasn't the permanent solution, since this was WATER running through an ELECTRIC FIXTURE. Unfortunately I have a sinking feeling it is not going to be addressed any time soon.

The clientele was a strange mixture of tourists and possibly some people who just lived there. A friend told me this was SRO housing not so long ago, which is not hard to believe as it is just barely up the hill from the tenderloin. Walking to market street felt like a journey through the Star Wars Cantina scene. I would not have been surprised if a Wookiee or Ponda Baba had accosted me for spare change. And the sirens at night, they never stop.

However, the bed was new feeling and comfortable and all the service staff was exceptionally pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business