“Quaint and underpriced for what you get. It's like staying at Grandma's house.”
Review of Nob Hill Hotel

Nob Hill Hotel
Ranked #151 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is a hidden gem! It has a Victorian decor with a vintage elevator and hallways that remind you of The Shining but in a sweet way. The room was small but perfect for what we needed, with a nice size and well updated bathroom. Parking is not free but $20 around the corner per 24 hours. Our room looked out onto the fire escape with amazing views of the city. Free continental breakfast and wifi. Totally worth every penny.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank sarahoslp
There are newer reviews for Nob Hill Hotel

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently visited the San Francisco area and stayed at the Nob Hill Hotel. The location was excellent, right near Union Square. If you looking for an ordinary hotel this is not one. It’s an old building that is been done in a Victorian style. The furniture and decorations were perfect with keeping everything in the Victorian theme. The room was slightly smaller than your cookie cutter hotel room but we loved it because it added to the character of the hotel. My husband and I were pleased with the average pricing that is comparable to the other hotels in the area. In the morning we enjoyed a continental breakfast in the restaurant. It was nice to come back in the evening and enjoy a complimentary glass of wine. It added a nice touch to our experience. My husband’s only complaint is that he would have liked a large TV but I feel it would take away from the style. I would defiantly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gjpjtj
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was so shocked when I walked into the hotel to find that it was dirty and smelled. I was expecting great things by reading the testimonials on this site and seeing all the photos. There is a scary elevator that is extremely old and slow and does not work properly, so you must take the tiny stairs up to your room (no bellhop of course....) The whole place was so filthy I could not believe it. When I got to my room, I could not even open the door all the way because it hit the bed from the room being so absolutely tiny. The carpets looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in 30 years. I pulled back the covers to see if the sheets were clean and they were stained with spots of blood and what-have-you everywhere. I went to use the bathroom to find that my room had no running water at all. After 5 minutes of being there my boyfriend and I decided to gather our things and leave and on the way out the door, we noticed a NEEDLE FROM A SYRINGE stuck in the door frame. WHAT KIND OF PLACE IS THIS?! We then went down to the desk to check out and complained about our room and they did not even try to fight us on leaving, but they offered to give us the penthouse suite. We went and saw the penthouse and it was just as disgusting and grimy. We then left and I am now in the middle of trying to get my money back from those people. It is the absolute worst hotel. Do not ever waste your money there, it is a complete outrage.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Ariel B
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Average rate but small room compared to hotels with the same star rating. But the bathroom was very nice and roomy compared to other hotels with bigger rooms.The elevator is very old, slow, hard to operate because of the door being opened manually as well as the gate, and it took too long to wait to get in even though there wasn't anyone waiting but my husband and me. The stirways were very narrow and the style of the steps made it too easy to trip.

We like the convenient location, and helpful staff members except Walt who was rude on a couple occasions.

The hotel was generous with the complementary wine in the evening but there wasn't any cheese as advertised.

We never used the fitness center or the swimming pool.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back of the hotel which is quieter. Also for a couple, choose a room with a Que...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Indira A
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Nob Hill Hotel and it was an amazing experience to say the least. There is a tremendous amount of history in this hotel. I just loved the details in everything from the beautiful lobby to the rooms that were a great size and featured ornate furnishings and decorations. The Nob Hill Hotel is truly a hotel unlike any other and definitely an experience that I will never forget.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had the opportunity recently of staying at the Nob Hill hotel. It is over 100 years old and I just love the Victorian style! It surely beats staying at a national chain with plain walls, carpet, etc. The old style elevator was an especially nice touch. The location is great being so close to Union square and the cable cars. It was an easy way to get to Fisherman’s wharf.

The rooms are a little on the small side, but it goes along with the Victorian image in my opinion. The breakfast wasn’t the best either, but there were so many places I wanted to go to eat anyway, it didn’t matter. For the price and location, you just simply cannot beat it.

I found the staff to be very friendly and went out of their way to help give suggestions on where to eat, places to go, etc. In conclusion, I really enjoyed my stay and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I had an excellent three night stay at the hotel. Learning it was our 5 year wedding anniversary, the front desk upgraded us to the penthouse suite with a jacuzzi tub. The decor was lovely and the bathroom a good size. The online pictures did not do it justice. Breakfast was disappointing, but not a big issue. I just walked to Trader Joe's and bought a few items to store in the refrigerator.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple