“should improve its act”

Ranked #146 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
London, United Kingdom
“should improve its act”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I spent one night at the Nob Hill hotel, on August 13/14. The location was ideal, the decor was pleasant and the room, though rather small, was quite comfortable. But I was disappointed. The staff, though not rude, were not particularly friendly or welcoming (when I arrived, the doorman - engaged in a conversation - gave me no help lifting my bag out of the taxi, despite the fact that I had a broken arm, which was obvious from the sling I was wearing). The wireless internet in my roo was so slow as to be not worth using - though it did improve in the morning, But my biggest dissappointment was breakfast. The breakfast room is small with few tables. So many people had to queue for 10 or 15 minutes before there was a place for them to sit down. I was lucky in that I got a table quickly, though I had to share it, which was not ideal. The content of the breakfast was pretty dire: just sliced bread, cereal and apples, with the cheapest sort of factory-made jam. The orange juice tasted unpleasant, No eggs, cut fruit, yoghurt or the other sorts of things that much cheaper hotels provide. One final thing: the lift has old-fashioned doors which swing shut in a nasty way that can hurt people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were booked to stay at this hotel last year when we were attending a wedding in San Francisco. We took one look and refused to check in . The lift was broken all the carpets were stained there was no proper wardrobes in the rooms we looked at and the doorman appeared to be inebriated, the staff seemed to be resigned to receiving complaints about the state of the hotel.

We left and booked in somewhere else and have tried in vain to get a refund from this hotel as we felt they had broken their contract with us. We felt as the accommodation did not live up to the description on their website

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Linda S

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here because of the proximity to Union Square and the price. It was lower than any other hotel in the area and it looked to be where I wanted to be. I read some pretty unflattering reviews so I was hoping it wasn't that bad because there were some good ones too. I was rather pleased. My room had an OK view of the neighborhood, the room was small but no different then rooms I had stayed in in Europe for twice the price. It was Victorian decor but nicely done and sure the hotel was old but they tried to do some upgrading (at least the room I had). It was nice and quiet at night and I was there for 4 nights. The staff (like in other reviews I read) were very helpful and went out of their way to assist when I needed it. If you have a car, parking is hefty and you have to wait up to 30 minutes to get it, so call ahead. Can't speak to the continental breakfast, never made it.

Room Tip: If you're not happy with your room, ask if you can see another.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LatinDrummer
maryanny143
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Good location, nice staff.

But I have never seen a smaller room. There simply wasn't room for two people, let alone two suitcases. It's hard to describe how cramped the room was; suffice to say, there's about as much floor space as there is space in an SUV trunk. Two people in one room means teamwork - shuffling suitcases on top of each other, both getting out of the bed if someone needs to use the bathroom, since the bed is crammed between two walls and the front door.

Perhaps other rooms are a bit larger, but I just can't imagine staying in this hotel for more than a couple hours.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maryanny143
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed at the Nob Hill Hotel for one night. It has the feel of a small Parisian hotel. The first thing I was greeted with upon my late arrival was wine and cheese they serve in the beautiful lobby every evening.After that I took the 1920s elevator to my room. It was tiny but very stylish, with Art Deco design. If you are into spacious rooms and hotel chain's familiar feeling, this is not the place for you. Yet, if you want a European feel that would add to your overall SF experience, I highly recommend this affordable hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Helena, Montana
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Very well situated and well priced hotel smack in the middle of Nob Hill. Close to restaurants and public transit. Very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are nice, and a bit over the top with all the Victorian frills. Our room had no view, except for the interior well of the building. But it was comfortable, clean and quiet. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a view room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobMor
Coppell, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is little, old and a little quirky. We actually loved the throwback elevator - it was pretty fast and very reliable. The rooms were well done and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable and the location was excellent - close to many restaurants, bars, sites and Union Square. My only complaint was the severely lacking continental breakfast and the lame (cheap wine and cheese - without crackers or fruit) happy hour.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends