Nob Hill Hotel
$230
$208
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$353
$209
$336
$222
  • Pool
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$185
$196
$183
  • Restaurant
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$401
$225
$210
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnob hillthe penthousecontinental breakfastwine and cheeseunion squarejacuzzi tubquaint hotelevery eveningcable carvalet parkingcentral locationsfcerealtraderwharfcars
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Several have commented on the "rundown" quality of the hotel. Add "creepy" to that. We arrived and soon after the towel rack in the bathroom fell off. We reattached it immediately. We talked about it among ourselves but never mentioned it outside the room. Nor did we mention it to anybody else. On checking out, we were charged for the damage. I protested and refused to pay and to the hotel's credit, they reversed the charge. I asked the clerk how he knew of the damage. He said it was in the computer and he didn't know how it go there. I wrote the hotel manager a letter asking what sort of monitoring system the hotel uses. (I.e. who and how are they listening or watching what is going on in the rooms.) At the time I write this, there has been no response.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank john h
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Boutique, Victorian in a cheap, 'bad' way. Decorations are definitely cheap and flimsy. Rooms are rundown and need fixing, not to mention some rooms are TINY, as stated in some of the other reviews. They can be wow-I-can-touch-all-four-walls-at-once tiny. Bathrooms are surprisingly nice, COMPARED to the rooms themselves. Would not go again unless offered rooms at about $30.

Room Tip: Don't stay if you can't get the suites, desperate, or get a REALLY good deal.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Wanting a Victorian San Francisco experience for my sister's first trip to this beautiful city, I chose the Nob Hill Hotel. I love eclectic Inns and boutique hotels, so when I saw their website and read several of the reviews I opted for the Nob Hill hotel. What a mistake! The room was NOTHING like the advertised rooms. Paying a bit more, I opted for room 101, touted as the "Garden Suite" complete with a jacuzzi tub. Sounded great! I anticipated a sweet pastry and aromatic cup of coffee on "our" private patio to start our day of touristing....but NO! The private "garden patio" was cluttered with bags of trash, ladders, miscellaneous gardening stuff and vine prunings. The furniture had been piled on top of each other and the ficus was fake and falling out of its pot! please see the photos! As for inside: the sofa bed matttress was 4" thick and you could feel every spring and support....the upholstery was filthy. All of the curtain rods were either bent or installed at odd angles which I must admit offset the bathrooms uplifting window tile and the toilet lid made for a different toilet. The lace curtains had large tears, the fringed lampshades were unraveling, the jacuzzi tub had no motor (as evidenced by the hole in the tub where the control used to be) ... the shower didn't work ( the fake brass control came off easily in your hand) so basically all you had was an oversized bathtub. The multiple light switch plate at the bathroom door looked like an electrical nightmare waiting to happen. I'm sure a fire marshal would find it fascinating. When asked for an ice bucket, we were given a styrofoam soup bowl with an ice bucket never forthcoming during our 2 night stay. The carpets were shabby and worn, our hallway dark and dingy. The bedroom proper was akin to a cell at alcatraz whcih was fitting considering our location. But perhaps the piece de resistance was the "valet" Tosca Parking. The Hotel "offers" this amenity at $38/night with a disclaimer that you should call the desk for your car to be delivered 20 mins before you want it. We waited 1 1/2 hrs for our car!!! Only to discover from other guests that their desk clerk had informed them of a self serve parking lot 1/2 block away with in-out capabilities for $20 a day! The "continental breakfast" was your basic Enteman's pastries. As we were leaving another guest was in heated discussion with management concerning her shabby room as compared to the lovely room her friends had for the same price. I think the room qualities must vary greatly. I personally was waiting for Jack Nicholson to come around the corner and yell "redrum!" I Would Never recommend or stay here again!

Room Tip: No idea! Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tagzragz
Reviewed September 15, 2011

A small hotel, with very personal and unique decorations, confortable but small rooms. The staff was always helpful and welcoming. I recommend dining at the hotel restaurant (all italian) great lasagna! It's walking distance from almost everything, and a cable car away from the rest of San Francisco.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The Nob Hill Hotel is a really interesting place. An older building with only a few rooms it has a very boutique feel. You know you're in for something different when you spot the antique "cage" elevator door. The hotel is central and the rooms are clean, if not overly large.

The price was very reasonable for a central San Francisco hotel. The California Street cable car line is only two blocks away.

No air conditioning but hey, it's San Francisco...how hot can it get. Each room does have an oscillating table fan stashed in the closet, and it did the job fine.

Any hotel that has free wine in the lobby every evening is OK by me. (Try going into the Hyatt and asking for your free glass of wine.)

The decor is terrific. Swag curtains, double crown mouldings. The interior is well done but it will have you expecting to see horse drawn carriages on the street. I liked it...a welcome change from the plain-vanilla that every other hotel uses.

Very satisfied...I'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple