“looked after very well”

Ranked #117 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“looked after very well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

The room was basic, as advertised, location was perfect and the manager was very nice to deal with. Always asking if the room was ok etc etc. Yeah it's more a motel than a hotel, and it's in San Fran so a bit rough area wherever you stay, but I felt safe. If I was after luxury I would have paid a lot more to stay elsewhere (San Francisco accommodation is expensive). If I'm ever back I'll be more than happy to stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TouristFromEdinburgh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
Reno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are staying here currently, and we've been very happy with our room. They are in the process of remodeling all the rooms, and ours was one that was recently finished.

Parking is free, though the spots are a bit small, and our room has a small refrigerator, microwave, iron/ironing board, and satellite tv (which we haven't watched, but I assume it's fine). The manager was friendly and thoughtful.

If you're taller than 5'6" you'll have to bend your head since the shower is low, but other than that minor inconvenience, everything has been wonderful.

Some reviews have mentioned the neighborhood, but it seems similar to most hotel neighborhoods in SF... truthfully, I feel as safe here as I do in the Union Square area, maybe even a little safer.

I would put this hotel in the same class as the "leave the light on for you" branch, but probably a step above because of the remodel. Also, the price is better and, as I mentioned previously, you don't have to pay for parking (which is often $30+ in SF).

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tarzana, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I loved staying at this motel. It started with five-star-customer service from Ricky, the desk manager. He checked me in, and proceeded to go over a location map of the surrounding area. He checked to make sure I was comfortable with my room. Ricky always checked in with me during my entire stay to make sure I was satisfied.

My room was in fair condition. It was accommodating and served my purposes. Each room is undergoing renovation. When I was there two were being renovated. I was in a room that will most likely be renovated as the interior construction crew make their way down the line. My room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and I liked that I had a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in there. The rack to hang my clothes and luggage storage area was spacious.

The housekeeping was on par. My room was cleaned daily. The sheets were freshened or changed if needed. I noticed that they removed spreads and blankets from newly vacated rooms for washing. I liked knowing that all of my bed was fresh when I got in it. Housekeeping washed my tub and area from top to bottom, and replaced my soap before it ran out. Everything was kept stocked, and I enjoyed interacting with the staff.

The location was prime to Union Square and right next to a major bus transit location. All I had to do was walk four or so blocks to Market Street. I could get on Muni or Bart from there. If I didn't feel like walking, I could get on a bus at 5th and Harrison. It took me to Market, or to a location of my desire. Union Square is within three blocks, and it's close to shopping and whatever else one may desire.

I've read some of the other reviews, and I would like to address them from my standpoint:

The motel is by the freeway; however, being where I'm at, I didn't hear any noise from it. Even when I was in the front office during the day I didn't hear any noise from it. There's traffic on the street, and an alleyway behind the motel. People complained of these noises too. When I stayed in hotels on Market or right next to Market Street, I'd be woken up by fire and police sirens all night long among other things. Bay Bridge can no more control those matters than you can.

I read some complaints about other guests being noisy. I had overall fine experience with minimum people noise issues. Ricky does his best to take care of his guests. I can see him being a person of honor; therefore if someone had a legitimate issue with another guest, one could go to him to see if it could be resolved. People are people. The parking lot is in front of rooms. Sometimes people aren't paying attention to how noisy they are. That's not the fault of the motel.

I gave this motel an excellent rating because Bay Bridge Inn is doing its best to be the best. The staff try hard, and the motel is under improvement. I would and plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: I liked the back area of the motel, towards the alley. If you're sensitive to noises at night w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

First of all, we were fully aware that San Francisco is an expensive city and we were on a low budget road trip. We arrived during the evening and perhaps it was the darkness but it seemed a bit creepy at the motel. Including the other guests. I always like to go by the other guests. The receptionist was making us a bit uncomfortable as he called us in our room after checking in and asked if he could come up for a moment. Nothing happened but it was a no go. Someone also called the next morning very early asking if we had found the iron, we had never asked where it was and the person rang the wrong room number. We only stayed the night and changed hotels. Sorry I would not recommend even as a non fussy traveller.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Danygirl84
DRUMHELLER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I think the location was highly convenient for most of the things we did in the city. My boyfriend and were tourists so high maintenance wasn't what we were looking for. It was a great place to lay our heads at night. The noise was minimal as it is more of a motel but if you rent a car, everything is highly accessible and convenient. I wouldn't call the neighbourhood rough. it's the city in general. Not fair to criticize the hotel for the city's issues. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. I'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Fancy it ain't. San Francisco is expensive for accommodation but this is a motel charging hotel prices. The rooms are clean, but very noisy. The location next to I80 doesn't help. The staff are friendly but did try to scam us out of an extra $20 claiming some sort of different rate from what we had booked via Booking.com. When challenged they did back down after complaining about the additional paperwork, although not for the full amount. This motel would be fine for an overnight stay, but not much more.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Niall D
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

San Francisco hotels in the Summer time, it was super pricey. Hot wire.com had a special promotion for this hotel. It was located in a rough neigbour. It was too good to be true. There were several auto shops on the street. The day time it was alright, but in the evening, there were a lot of homeless people on the street. It was very scary. There was no complimentary breakfast as promise. At least the staffs were friendly and helpful. The room was roomy with microwave and fridge. Dollar per dollar, still think again in the future!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple