“TERRIBLE service!!”

Ranked #132 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“TERRIBLE service!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Everything was okay at first EXCEPT the toilet backed up in the middle of the night! A friend found the problem about 7am and went down to the lobby, reported it to staff on duty and (no apology or "hey, we'll fix the problem" just "oh, you can use the LOBBY toilet THREE FLOORS DOWN from your room") I woke up later and heard about the issue. So instead of conveniently using the restroom in our room, we had to go all the way down to the first floor then back to the fourth to use the bathroom. I mentioned this on checkout and again NO APOLOGY, no, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, just more of a "hey thanks for letting us know."

I filled out the BW survey online the following day, then a week later, wrote an e-mail to the management regarding the issue and guess what I received: NO RESPONSE! Apparently, they don't care about their customers' happiness (even when they are part of the BW rewards program) or trying to do the right thing. I decided I would give them a week from my e-mail to try to rectify things, and never heard anything back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melody A
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Melody A,

We are truly sorry to hear about your experiences with your stay at the Best Western Plus Americania in April 2012.

On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies for a less than stellar stay and service provided by our staff. We appreciate your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to address these issues with our whole team.

Although our apologies at this point cannot undo the damage done, our regret is sincere. All I ask in return is that when your future travels bring you to San Francisco, please allow us a second chance to put our best foot forward and show how our hotel has improved in a year.

Kind Regards,

Best Western Plus Americania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Forest Hills, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

The rooms are recently renovated and quite comfy. They did a great job decorating and updating this hotel, which is quite ugly looking from the outside. The lobby and pool are also in great shape.
The neigborhood is okay if you walk in the right direction(towards downtown/the mall/financial distrtict) Its best to walk to Market Street and turn right. San Francisco does have some really bad neigborhoods and this hotel is close to a small area that isnt great, but its a small pocket and you have easy access to public transit, the mall, movie theater, convention center, and downtown.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank rlev13
Dear rlev13,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences about your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Americania with our community on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the interior design of the hotel lobby, rooms, and pool area. Our neighborhood of "SoMA" (South of Market) is an eclectic and diverse area filled with many colorful characters which contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Our central location makes it easy to get around and explore San Francisco.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences, we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Kindest Regards,

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in June. It took nearly 2 hours to check in as there was only one person working.

We had asked for a double bed and we got a twin room instead which we weren't happy about, when asked to change it they said that they had no other rooms available and that we should try the next day. Eventually had the room changed. Wi-fi does not work everywhere, if you're In a corner room you probably won't get any wifi connection.

The room/hotel was reasonably clean, however the staff weren't very helpful or friendly.

The hotel was about 10 min away from union sq if you traveled by bus or 40 mins walk. The location of the hotel did not seem safe, as soon as it got dark there was many tramps and beggars nearby the hotel. It looked like the ghetto.

We absolutely loved San Fran but not so much the hotel and I would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank npalla
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear NPalla,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at the Best Western Plus Americania from June 2012.

We are sorry to hear that your initial experiences with us were not as positive as we would like to hear. We thank you for providing us with your all of your feedback.

We welcome the opportunity to have you back when your travels bring you to San Francisco to allow us to put our best foot forward and show you how our hotel has improved over the year.

Kind Regards,

Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed in SF for one night on our way to Hawaii and wanted to see as much as we can. We found a room at this hotel for four adults and one baby. The location was great to get on the tram (old fashioned bus $2 per person) which took us to the wharf. We were also close to the end of the line of the cable cars which made for a short walk back to the hotel. There were homeless people around the area but I can't think of a big city without them.

The room had two double beds and one pull out couch. The pull out was very thin and you could feel all the springs and of course that terrible bar that is in every pull out couch but my expectations were not high. The decor in the room was a refreshing in comparison to the usual off white colors of hotel rooms. The room was also quite humid, and had a moist feeling but with the heater it went away. It was too cool to use the pool.

The front desk was helpful with everything we needed. They attempted to book us transportation back to the airport but they did not show up. The staff did end up finding another company to take us.

Note***There are no cab companies that offer vans or that can take 5 people at one time. The staff had a very hard time finding one but we eventually hired a service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Becky9533
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Becky9533,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco!

Kenosha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here with a friend in February 2013. We were visiting San Francisco for fun and stayed at the hotel for five nights. We took the BART from SFO to the Civin Center station on Market, about three blocks away. When we came up from the station, a nice woman directed us to the direction of the hotel after she said we looked lost and remarked that we were not in a good area to be lost, LOL, I thought "OK here we go." It was about 5pm and there were a lot of people around. Some were people obviously getting off work, but there were also people just hanging around the area. The area did not strike me as dangerous in the middle of the afternoon, but I can see how you may not want to be wandering around, looking like you're lost with a bunch of luggage! On the walk to the hotel, we could see homeless people around, but nothing that made me feel unsafe.

Upon arrival, we were immediately checked in by a friendly gal, no issues. The elevators and stairwell is only opened with the key, which is a nice security feature. There is also an elevator that opens up to outside the hotel. It doesn't operate overnight, but it was very quick and easy to get in and out of the hotel. We didn't use parking at all.
Our room was on the second floor, which opened up to a courtyard area. It was loud overnight, with people going to and fro, but we didnt experience people partying out there. Just normal noise that would usually be contained to hallways, not a courtyard with a decent echo.

The room we booked had two double beds, a pullout sofa, desk, couple chairs, dresser, nightstand, pretty normal stuff. The decor is pretty old looking, aside from it supposed to be retro looking. The room appeared clean enough and I am a bed bug checker. It certainly wasn't dirty, but the room just appears older in general. The bathroom has a shower/tub and toilet and is very small. The sink is outside of the bathroom, not my fave, but it worked out fine. The toilet didn't work great, you had to literally hold down the handle while it flushed or what was in the toilet didn't go down. Not broken, but certainly not what it should be. The beds were comfortable although I can sleep on just about anything. Didn't care for the pillows but it didn't matter all that much. The heater was very loud when we used it and didn't have a thermostat, it just ran until you turned it off. The TV reception on every channel was pretty poor considering there is a flat screen television in the room. The WiFi signal was pretty weak and slow, but got the job done when needed. For our purposes, a hotel is a place to sleep and keep our stuff so none of this pushed us over the edge by any means.

The hotel is surrounded by a rough area of town. We didn't feel unsafe walking around, but were definitely aware of our surroundings. It's for sure is another side of the city; not what you picture San Francisco is for a tourist. Obviously in a big city there are good and not so good areas, but the location was good to catch public transport or walk places we wanted to go. I guess I consider myself a laid back traveler and have been a bunch of places, so the location was not so bad, as we were out and about so much. I can definitely see how the neighborhood would be offputting for some folks though. For us, there were not any instances of people harassing us, so it was more just walking through the sketchy parts.

We didn't use any of the other amenities at the hotel (pool, fitness center) and didn't eat at the restaurant connected to it. We didn't have much contact with staff, but any we did was very pleasant. No major problems and we got a great price through priceline.com, but if I were to stay in San Francisco again I would probably try a different place in a different part of the city, just to mix it up.

Room Tip: Our room opening up to the courtyard was fairly loud at night with other people coming and going fro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary M
Dear Mary M,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent five-night stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you overall enjoyed our accommodations and service of our team. We also appreciate your candid feedback about our location. Our neighborhood, SoMA (South of Market) is an eclectic and diverse area and contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Although by far not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved their headquarters to SoMA. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to San Francisco!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Visiting SF on a budget so I could check out MA Programs at SFSU. My stay was overall great! The first part of my stay, I had misjudged my own itinerary and arrived an hour and a half prior to check in. I think his name was Jon found my dozing off in the lobby and said he could assist me in a earlier check in with no extra charge! Then I requested extra towels and after barely stepping into my room for a minute, they had arrived. The room was clean, the exercise facilities were well equipped, and that view above the pool was indeed beautiful. There were only slight kinks that I found; yes the curtains were sheer but I just pulled over the second set of curtains; there wasn't a microwave or refrigerator, nor was there a microwave in the entire hotel; yes the wifi would shot out every so often; lastly, since your room may be overlooking a courtyard, you will hear everybody and I mean EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING they say even if they're on the first floor. The cars outside are no problem but at 2AM people are laughing and somebody is running back and forth down the hall, I had to use those ear plugs that they provided. Unless, you REALLY need to refrigerate/microwave something, can't stand outside noise, and spending 5 hours on your computer in your room; I can't find a reason why NOT to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Janel B,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco...hopefully as an incoming SFSU grad student? :) Our best wishes to you in your endeavors!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

The location for us was great. We were close to where we needed to go. (Driving.)
Yes there were homeless people walking around. But that's everywhere in San Francisco. Especially downtown. We booked our hotel room through Orbitz. We got a good rate on it for 1 night on a friday. ($100.00) Our room was small,clean alittle dark. It was in a smaller court yard with not alot of light. Beds were comfortable. We didn't hear alot of street noise. It was actually quiet. They charge $25.00 a night for parking. Front desk and the
Valet guys were very nice and helpful.
Tried to stay a 2nd night, but the prices went up.
($165. Saturday) Way too much for 1 night!
If I have gotten the same rate I paid for I would of definitely stayed 1 more night :)

• Stayed February 2013
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Americania, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear floracupcake,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco!