“Overall experience was okay”

Best Western Plus Americania
Ranked #132 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glendale, California, United States
“Overall experience was okay”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Positives first .
The Americania is centrally located near the Muni Station and close to Market St so public transportation was ++++. This is a 70's hotel that has been redone in a cool hipster motif. The staff was very helpful with any issues my party had. Custom Burger which is attached to hotel was very good for a burger place very Umami Burger if you are familar

Negatives
DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 205 it is next to elevator and ice machine and the fitness center is five feet away they will wake you up with their banging on the treadmill. I am sure the staff have heard all this before. But try to rent it to see if you do not complain. I had to move because the noise was horrible. Next day staff member Jazmine moved me to third floor much quieter she was my go to girl when I need help. Thanks so much. Overnight parking is 25 dollars a night with in and out privileges. Location for some may seem a bit rough but this is SF and their are homeless everywhere at least they are not aggressive like in other cities. Room did not have accessible receptacles to plug in equipment next to bed I have a sleep apnea machine and had to move the attached headboard to access recep to plug in. WIFI reception in both of my rooms was unacceptable only saving grace was that one room had ethernet cable but not my second room. If you are doing business and need WIFI I do not recommend staying here. If you are traveling with friends and like being close to SOMA and all of its night life but not directly in it. You will find it acceptable. Oh yes did find a used bandage in my room on the floor YUCK!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 205 way to noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank John M
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear John M,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. IWe are pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations as well as the offerings at our Custom Burger!

Thank you for your candid feedback about the first room that you were checked into, but am glad that Jazmine was able to take care of your relocation and was able to take care of you and your group throughout your stay. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the amenities of the room and will also insure that the message is conveyed to our Director of Housekeeping so that we may deliver a pristine room to all of our guests.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco!

Haiyi Hotels Worldwide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here on 3,4,5th September for the first stage of our honeymoon, it was pre-booked for us by a travel agent. On first arrival it seemed a nice place, nice big reception with 2 computer workstations with internet and a printer that was free to use. The guy on reception was very helpful and friendly and gave us some helpful hints and tips for our stay in SF. We were given a room on the 4th floor that was big and airy, everything worked fine. The decor was very retro but in a good way. Bed was comfy and clean. Rooms cleaned daily. Its not in the best area but it is close to Market St (where you can get basically anywhere in the city via trolley or bus). We would walk the route during the day but due to the amount of homeless and gangs that were on the way we would get a taxi at night. Overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James R
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear James R,

First and foremost, congratulations to you and yours in tying the knot, we wish you both an amazing future ahead together!

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I am pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and service during your three-night stay! Our little neighborhood of SoMA is an eclectic and diverse area and although it's not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved to the area. And as you mentioned, our location provides the best great access to anywhere you need to go within San Francisco and beyond! Above all, I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit to San Francisco and stayed with us during the first leg of your honeymoon!

We hope to welcome you both back on your next trip to San Francisco, maybe on an anniversary!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I normally don't leave reviews but didnt want anyone to be as disappointed as we were. This hotel was a horrible experience. I would like to say there was one redeeming quality in this hotel but cannot. In the hotel room the heat didn't work and the maintenance person that came to check on the room was drunk. There was no hot water and was told to wait a couple hours for hot water again. When we requested a new room with working heat the staff stated there wasn't one available and promised to have available later. After returning to check on a new room they stated they were booked and couldn't move us. They management was inefficient and not friendly. The hotel was expensive,loud, no heat, no hot water and extremely non helpful staff. I would never stay here again and may not ever stay at a Best Western again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helg0040
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Helg0040,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies for the situations you encountered during your stay and that our services did not meet your expectations.

We understand the frustration you felt and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided. We thank you for your feedback and do hope that you are willing to give us and Best Western another chance as we are capable of providing excellent customer service.

If I can assist you in anyway I am at your service. Please give me a call at 415-626-0200.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Best Western Plus Americania

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Chico, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Room size was bigger than some of the other hotels I have stayed at in the City. $25 to park a small car. $20 charge for each adult in a room, beyond two. They don't allow partying or loud noise, they make you aware of this andthey will have you removed. Wifi worked well. Main issue is the late night people in the quad areas that talk...the noise carries into the rooms. Actually woke me up. No free breakfast, but I didn't stay there for the food. Close to Market St., Muni, AT&T, and restaurants. Funky decor, some posts have issues with it, but no real complaints about the room. Felt safe, and staff was friendly.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ganderson
Dear ganderson,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed our accommodations during your visit. As you mentioned, we do not allow parties in our hotel guest rooms simply to insure the comfort avoid any disturbances for all of our guests.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to San Francisco in the near future!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I travel to SF often and unfortunately the whole downtown core is very expensive.Unless you want to stay at a Motel from the likes of CSI, this is one of the cheapest hotels.

However, in the whole scheme of things it is expensive, and paying over $160 a night you expect better place than this. I have stayed on three occasions for a week at a time in recent months and felt short changed despite this being the best of 3 BW's downtwon.

I have to say the staff (other than bar staff) have been great. The wireless is relatively reliable. The rooms are an acquired taste. I quite like them, but they have galleries on websites, so if you don't like don't book. The furniture is cheap and already showing signs of ware.

The Hotel is a motel style of unit, where the front door opens out to a courtyard or balcony.

Breakfast is poor. Evening meal is limited to Burgers, which after a week is waring.

The hotel is just on the edge of a rough area (IMHO), but had no trouble.

If you are on a budget and have to stay in Downtown area, then this may do for you. If not, find a Hotel near the airport and commute in on Caltrain ($3) and pay $65 for a basic room

Room Tip: Room near the back are quieter. Rooms by road are noisey.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear mr_and_mrs_nibbles,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I am sorry to hear that our accommodations fell short of your expectations but I am pleased that the service provided by our staff was well received.

Although our little neighborhood of SoMA (South of Market) is slightly off the beaten path, it is rich in culture and diversity, and provides easy access to anywhere in San Francisco and for that, we thank you for visiting our wonderful city and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future stay.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a strange property, with a stupid theme that makes the rooms rather uncomfortable (there is a reason why manufacturers stopped making molded plastic furniture). The beds are small (full size) and hard. The courtyard is nice, but noise tends to be a problem as people cross the courtyard or as housekeeping roll the carts across the tiles. We were given a room in which the carpets had been cleaned the day of arrival; nice clean carpets, but still wet and smelling strongly of cleaner. Also given new, unwashed towels--so little white fuzzies were all over me after toweling off. The only reason to stay here is the price is lower than other hotels in the area, but it is still by no means cheap, especially after parking fee is added on. See if you can find free parking at a slightly more expensive hotel and stay there instead.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atbaritone
Dear atbaritone,

I am glad that you found our accommodations satisfactory however, I do apologize that we fell short of your overall expectations of our amenities. Parking is certainly a challenge in San Francisco and we are delighted to offer parking at a reasonable nightly rate compared to hotels located in Union Square, Financial District or Fisherman's Wharf; some hotels in these area offer overnight parking rates in upwards of $62 per night.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us and with the Trip Advisor community. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit into San Francisco.

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've stayed at a Best Western when I was a kid but never as an adult so this was a first for me and I must say that I was uber surprised. I was hesitant after reading the reviews of this place and but after staying a few nights, people are really overreacting.

First thing's first, this is far from any Best Western I've ever stayed at growing up. The decor was fashionably, modern retro. I didn't care for the checkered carpet but there was lots of color in the room, that's for sure. The room was comfortable and clean however, there wasn't any A/C. I tend to like keeping my room cool but this wasn't a big deal as there was a ceiling fan and it's San Fran, it's always cold there.

There's a burger joint attached to the hotel. Stopped by for breakfast a couple times and tried out a burger for dinner one night. The burger was pretty legit as you create it yourself. Got a little pricey but I added extra premium toppings.

Location was ideal as I was able to walk to the trolley on Market to get to the other side of town. The location although slightly busy and urban, it's no big deal and I felt safe, even walking at night, otherwise there's plenty of taxis all over the city. All things considered, I'd stay here again!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank YOLOjimmy
Dear YOLOjimmy,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, the service of our staff, your dining experience at our Custom Burger and appreciate your candid insight about our surrounding area. Your review I'm sure will help our future guests make the best of their stay while in San Francisco! We hope to welcome you back very soon!