“Worst hotel experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Worst hotel experience”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I normally don't leave reviews but didnt want anyone to be as disappointed as we were. This hotel was a horrible experience. I would like to say there was one redeeming quality in this hotel but cannot. In the hotel room the heat didn't work and the maintenance person that came to check on the room was drunk. There was no hot water and was told to wait a couple hours for hot water again. When we requested a new room with working heat the staff stated there wasn't one available and promised to have available later. After returning to check on a new room they stated they were booked and couldn't move us. They management was inefficient and not friendly. The hotel was expensive,loud, no heat, no hot water and extremely non helpful staff. I would never stay here again and may not ever stay at a Best Western again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helg0040
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Helg0040,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff, you have my apologies for the situations you encountered during your stay and that our services did not meet your expectations.

We understand the frustration you felt and have contacted each department to address the comments you have provided. We thank you for your feedback and do hope that you are willing to give us and Best Western another chance as we are capable of providing excellent customer service.

If I can assist you in anyway I am at your service. Please give me a call at 415-626-0200.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Best Western Plus Americania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chico, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Room size was bigger than some of the other hotels I have stayed at in the City. $25 to park a small car. $20 charge for each adult in a room, beyond two. They don't allow partying or loud noise, they make you aware of this andthey will have you removed. Wifi worked well. Main issue is the late night people in the quad areas that talk...the noise carries into the rooms. Actually woke me up. No free breakfast, but I didn't stay there for the food. Close to Market St., Muni, AT&T, and restaurants. Funky decor, some posts have issues with it, but no real complaints about the room. Felt safe, and staff was friendly.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ganderson
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear ganderson,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed our accommodations during your visit. As you mentioned, we do not allow parties in our hotel guest rooms simply to insure the comfort avoid any disturbances for all of our guests.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to San Francisco in the near future!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I travel to SF often and unfortunately the whole downtown core is very expensive.Unless you want to stay at a Motel from the likes of CSI, this is one of the cheapest hotels.

However, in the whole scheme of things it is expensive, and paying over $160 a night you expect better place than this. I have stayed on three occasions for a week at a time in recent months and felt short changed despite this being the best of 3 BW's downtwon.

I have to say the staff (other than bar staff) have been great. The wireless is relatively reliable. The rooms are an acquired taste. I quite like them, but they have galleries on websites, so if you don't like don't book. The furniture is cheap and already showing signs of ware.

The Hotel is a motel style of unit, where the front door opens out to a courtyard or balcony.

Breakfast is poor. Evening meal is limited to Burgers, which after a week is waring.

The hotel is just on the edge of a rough area (IMHO), but had no trouble.

If you are on a budget and have to stay in Downtown area, then this may do for you. If not, find a Hotel near the airport and commute in on Caltrain ($3) and pay $65 for a basic room

Room Tip: Room near the back are quieter. Rooms by road are noisey.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear mr_and_mrs_nibbles,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I am sorry to hear that our accommodations fell short of your expectations but I am pleased that the service provided by our staff was well received.

Although our little neighborhood of SoMA (South of Market) is slightly off the beaten path, it is rich in culture and diversity, and provides easy access to anywhere in San Francisco and for that, we thank you for visiting our wonderful city and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future stay.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a strange property, with a stupid theme that makes the rooms rather uncomfortable (there is a reason why manufacturers stopped making molded plastic furniture). The beds are small (full size) and hard. The courtyard is nice, but noise tends to be a problem as people cross the courtyard or as housekeeping roll the carts across the tiles. We were given a room in which the carpets had been cleaned the day of arrival; nice clean carpets, but still wet and smelling strongly of cleaner. Also given new, unwashed towels--so little white fuzzies were all over me after toweling off. The only reason to stay here is the price is lower than other hotels in the area, but it is still by no means cheap, especially after parking fee is added on. See if you can find free parking at a slightly more expensive hotel and stay there instead.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atbaritone
Dear atbaritone,

I am glad that you found our accommodations satisfactory however, I do apologize that we fell short of your overall expectations of our amenities. Parking is certainly a challenge in San Francisco and we are delighted to offer parking at a reasonable nightly rate compared to hotels located in Union Square, Financial District or Fisherman's Wharf; some hotels in these area offer overnight parking rates in upwards of $62 per night.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us and with the Trip Advisor community. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit into San Francisco.

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've stayed at a Best Western when I was a kid but never as an adult so this was a first for me and I must say that I was uber surprised. I was hesitant after reading the reviews of this place and but after staying a few nights, people are really overreacting.

First thing's first, this is far from any Best Western I've ever stayed at growing up. The decor was fashionably, modern retro. I didn't care for the checkered carpet but there was lots of color in the room, that's for sure. The room was comfortable and clean however, there wasn't any A/C. I tend to like keeping my room cool but this wasn't a big deal as there was a ceiling fan and it's San Fran, it's always cold there.

There's a burger joint attached to the hotel. Stopped by for breakfast a couple times and tried out a burger for dinner one night. The burger was pretty legit as you create it yourself. Got a little pricey but I added extra premium toppings.

Location was ideal as I was able to walk to the trolley on Market to get to the other side of town. The location although slightly busy and urban, it's no big deal and I felt safe, even walking at night, otherwise there's plenty of taxis all over the city. All things considered, I'd stay here again!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank YOLOjimmy
Dear YOLOjimmy,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, the service of our staff, your dining experience at our Custom Burger and appreciate your candid insight about our surrounding area. Your review I'm sure will help our future guests make the best of their stay while in San Francisco! We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I came to San Francisco as a Bone Marrow Donor so I didn't have the choice of where to stay. The NMDP put me up and paid for it. The front desk staff was clueless about the situation & the process & put a hold on my personal account. It took two days to get everything figured out and was an added stress I didn't need. The manager was grudgingly helpful, not friendly helpful. The weekend day staff was friendly and helpful but the evening staff was a lot less than friendly.
The hotel was very cute & fun with its art deco decor. It was nice to have the restaurant, although the menu was very limited, burgers only for lunch or dinner. We ended up preferring the coffee house across the street for breakfast. The worst part of our stay was that our room was on 2nd floor near elevator and the staff breakroom and laundry room. We had an extended stay where we would be in the room most of the time and need lots of rest. Between the housekeeping staff's noisy chatter all day and the poor architecture of the building that allowed you to hear every sound, we did not get good rest. The courtyard style floor plan is cute but makes every sound echo and the tile floor lets you hear every suitcase wheel as they go by. Plus there was a lot of a late night crowd coming in from the baseball games & mingling in the courtyard areas. We were woken up at least three times every night and Security always seemed to be five minutes late in catching the culprits. We should have asked to move rooms but we didn't. If you stay there try to get a room in a non-traffic area if there are any. Another really inconvient thing was that (probably due to the cement walls) we had no cell service in our room and had to go outside to use our phones. The stay also would have been better if they'd had refrigerators, which they don't. It wasn't the worst place I'd ever stayed but not the best either. I guess it depends on what you're staying for if I'd recommend it or not. If you're going to be one of the loud late-nighters downtown, sure go for it. If you need peace and quiet find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator or employee break rooms at all costs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank honestinIdaho
HonestinIdaho,

Thank you for providing such a detailed response. We applaud the fact that you are a Bone Marrow Donor as we were honored to have you. On behalf of our staff we do apologize that we were not as friendly and helpful as we should have been. Our aim is to provide a warm welcoming environment to our guests.

We do attract a wide array of guests and with our proximity to the ballpark, theaters, and other social centers we are an ideal choice. At the same token we respect all of our guests which is why we do have a No Party Policy and do enforce it. We also offer quieter rooms that can be requested.

If you are ever in San Francisco again we hope that you would provide us another opportunity to offer the service that you would expect from us.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Ontario
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Staying at this hotel now.

I took a chance and tried Priceline.com. At $160/night, this is what I got which was much cheaper than hotels at the wharf or Pier 39.

Pros: The hotel rooms are clean and the decor is funky. The beds are comfortable and overall our room was quiet. The outdoor pool is heated and it's fine.

There is not a complimentary breakfast but the Custom Burger restaurant downstairs offers a good breakfast for a reasonable price. It's also a decent enough place for supper if you just want a good burger.

It is a short five minute walk to Market St where you can pick up the F streetcar which will take you to Pier 39, or the Ferry Building Marketplace. You can also jump on the 71 bus which will take you to Haight-Ashbury and Golden Gate Park.

There is free wi fi in the rooms.

CONS:

There are not many restaurants around the hotel and it is a bit of a distance from the main attractions. Yes,you will see many homeless people on Seventh St as you walk towards Market St butyou will also see many homeless people near the main attractions
Welcome to no-social net. I think if you try to find a hotel that will allow you to avoid seeing this....well, first, good luck (i even saw homeless people around the Hyatt Regency today) and second, you're missing reality of San Fran.

So overall the hotel is fine, reasonably priced for this city and I should mention that all staff members were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank mortyatport
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Americania, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear mortyatport,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us. Glad that you enjoyed our accommodations; although indeed quite "funky," gotta love the mid-century theme referencing to classic American pastimes! I'm also delighted that you enjoyed our Custom Burger restaurant; my favorite topping is the Applewood Smoked Bacon!

We appreciate your candid explanation about the streets of San Francisco, as it helps our future guests realize that this is what makes San Francisco, "The City." Our neighborhood specifically, SoMA (South of Market) area is an eclectic and diverse area which contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant openings as well as major corporations moving into our neighborhood.

We hope to welcome you back to on your next visit to San Francisco!