“Motel Experience, 2.5 Stars”

Best Western Plus Americania
Ranked #133 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Booked a family suite with two double beds and one pull out couch. Pocket doors separate the living space from the sleeping space. Heater in each room. Heater in the bedroom did not work, but heater from the living area was sufficient to warm the entire space. Hide a bed had the WORST "mattress" I have ever experienced at a hotel or otherwise. This mattress was nothing more than a sheet of springs with a thin piece of tough cotton covering it. It reminded me of a vending machine and the metal spirals that hold your snack in place. I was honest and declared all my guests at check in which resulted in a $40 rate hike per night. There were people running around the courtyard and yelling accross the breezeway to one another until at least 11:30 at night.

I will probably stay at this hotel again only if it were to cost me close to $100. Parking was $20 and the garage attendants were all very friendly. Front desk staff was helpful at check in, but got a bit snippy when we explained some of the problems to them in the morning. Insisting that we should have called durning the night so they can take care of the issues on the spot. We did not ask for a credit on the stay, but the clerk offered $10 of our $203 bill. Not even enough to cover the San Francisco lodging tax of 14%. I had mentioned in my reservation that I may bring my dog. I did not bring my dog, but at check in and check out they asked me twice if I had. If I did, it would have resulted in another $25 fee.

Decor is modern and the hotel has an interesting layout. Pool is heated and there are a few places designated for smoking if you need them. If you're going with a large group and are looking for a large family type room, I would not recommend this hotel. If you're already spending $200 on a two star experience, spend $300 and get a real San Francisco room. The Beresford Arms near union square has a room that is a bit bigger and would come in around $225 depending on the season.

Room Tip: If you're not used to traffic noise, request away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ChrisandMario
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Americania

Reviewed March 8, 2012

But the location is not too good.Especially, I saw homeless people around the hotel in the night time. Bit far from union square.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This hotel could have had a perfect 5/5 here, but things turned due south at check out, where I was presented with a bill for $103 in fraudulent long distance charges for calls made to a toll free 1-855 number, despite being told that toll free calls were free, and the extremely rude staff and manager decided to argue the matter, and refused to remove the charges, giving various excuses including that this was 'a Canadian thing' (not true and had proof of this).

I wouldn't have had an issue if they would have reversed the charges without arguing the matter with me. I stay in lots of hotels and have never experienced such egregious service!

While I did eventually get The charges reversed, I'm not going to give any of the 'good' details because of the way the hotel has chosen to deal with the issue...to ignore my complaints!

I'm taking my business back to Starwood because it appears that Best Western deems this behaviour to be acceptable.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank cober6711
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I was there by myself, so I just wanted to realx and enjoy some peaceful time, and the hotel really contributed on it! It was gorgeous, one of the best and cute hotels Ive been. I love art deco rooms, and this one was perfect. The room was big, confotable and very nice decorated. I enjoyed my time at the hotel. The bed was confortable and the bathroom was clean and neat. And the wifi works perfect.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank QueenbeBuenosAires
Reviewed February 6, 2012

When we entered our room we found it wasn't clean. It was very small, the window didn't lock, and looked out onto a run down shady looking street. We called the front desk and were promptly moved to a much better room. It was noisy, which I have found in most big cities such as Chicago, Toronto etc. I slept with earplugs and was fine. The first night there we asked where we could find a market for fruits and vegetables. We proceeded to walk in the night. After about 2 blocks we realized the neighbourhood is less than desirable. Many homeless people and just rough looking people in general. If you can get past that it's only a few blocks to Union Square where you can shop til you drop. I found the staff to be friendly (unlike a lot of the other reviews). If you are on a budget this is a decent place to stay. Be careful of the restaurant in the hotel. An omelette ran us $12 plus more for extra ingredients.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tbailey3471
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in December 2011 with my family for 3 nights. Looking at the pictures online and reviews, we thought that it would be o.k for just sleeping at night. The room was clean and people were friendly. The first night was alright. The second and third night, there were loud people hanging out right outside of our door by the patio. We were pretty sure they were drunk and they made noise all through the night. It was really hard to get sleep. Some of them made weird comments as well while we were entering our room.

About the location: It is a couple of blocks down from all the action on Market street. There are a lot of homeless people and shady characters hanging around the hotel area. One of the nights, we were coming back on the tram and the driver asked us if we were going to 7th street to get drugs?!! However, we didn't feel unsafe walking around that area. We were also back in our rooms by 9pm, so I don't know how things are later in the night.

Overall, the hotel is alright, but noise is an issue.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Charcha
Reviewed January 24, 2012

From the unpleasant reception staff and mostly unhelpful houskeeping staff to the miserable looking windows (looked cracked but seems a film put on them was cracked) this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in in the United States. The location was within walking distance of most sites in San Francisco including the embarcadero. The cafe on the site served only hamburgers but there was a good Chinese restaurant across the street.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends