“Wonderful hotel!”
Review of Chelsea Motor Inn

Chelsea Motor Inn
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I think it's interesting that people complain about the street noise-why didn't you check this out and read reviews before you decided to stay here??? There is some street noise on Lombard but this is a major city-there is going to be traffic. The noise didn't bother me at all and my room faced Lombard St. I stayed here last year and can't wait to come back this spring!

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly-I was even surprised by a bottle of wine and chocolates in my room on my birthday! The housekeeping staff always had a smile and nice words to say (they did a great job!) my room was very clean and spacious. Very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here because of location and price. I emailed before arrival to insure I got a quiet room. Was surprised on my arrival to learn they don't read their emails (despite an email address on their website) and that I had a 2nd floor room on noisy Lombard St. The desk agent was not interested in finding me a better room and told me there weren't any (I think there were but he didn't want to be bothered). He handed me earplugs as a solution. After sleeping poorly due to constant street noise, I decided either to get a quieter room or change hotels. A different desk clerk stated they had no quiet internal rooms available. I asked for a higher floor and room facing quieter Fillmore St, and she changed my room. Note I had to problem solve this myself - she did not offer any alternative rooms! My new 3rd room was indeed much quieter so I slept well, plus I had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. I recommend this hotel for value and location if you are not bothered by street noise. If you are, make sure you get a high floor and a room on Fillmore. Other reviewers have mentioned a noisy post office - I don't know what street that is on, but avoid that street too. Interior soundproofing seems good as I did not hear any noise from occupied adjacent rooms. The rooms have old furnishings and decor, but they are very clean, the mattresses and linens are good, and there is plenty of hot water. There is a coffee maker in the room and an ice and soda machine in the hall, but no breakfast. The motel is very close to excellent restaurants, coffee shops, and take out. Public transportation is right out front. Free parking is included if you have a car. A friendly desk clerk named Mohammed arranged a shared van to the airport for $15. I would stay here again if I needed to be in the marina district as long as I was assured of a quiet room location and I would call them not email to make sure. This place is a solid value for SF.

Room Tip: High floor not on Lombard St.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank AvonCTgirl
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We're on holidays from Ireland and travelled up the coast from LA and this was our worst experience. The rooms onto Lumbard st wouldn't be any noisier if you actually slept on the street. The traffic on this street never stops which we didn't realise when we booked. The second night we got a room change to the back but there's a type of post sorting office here so the trucks started loading up at 4.30 am so no sleep again.
The rooms are a good size and clean but the staff were totally uninterested and bordering on the rude. I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel because of the location, price and trip advisor reviews. The room was large with a king bed which was ok. Bathroom was fine. Heating/cooling system worked well. The noise was not too bad. The room was clean. The decor is dated. It is great to have one free parking spot included. If you don't have a car there is transportation nearby. The location was fabulous - close to wonderful restaurants and shops as well as the sights. We would stay here again because of the price and location.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Good location near Cow Hollow, plenty of eating, walking and transportation options. Perfect to have parking without additional cost. Room was clean. Recommend this place for value.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank I M
manager0101, General Manager at Chelsea Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear I M,

Thank You for choosing to stay with us, I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay and we are lucky to have such a nice location in which almost everything is walking distance. Our free parking is indeed a great plus in San Francisco where space is very limited.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you as a guest in our hotel soon again.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Picked this hotel because of reviews on Trip Advisor. It was clean, the room was large and the bed comfortable. We were on the first floor, facing Lombard Street. Didn't seem to notice the noise at all. The location is convenient to buses, (the sightseeing bus stops at the corner), and taxis were a breeze to catch. There were several restaurants just a block away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The experience we had was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Todd E

Dear Todd E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. We are glad you enjoyed our location and hotel. We are very lucky to have such a nice location, conveniently close to everything in down town San Francisco (Marina District near Golden Gate Bridge)

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Chelsea Motor Inn has huge rooms for a city hotel ~ our one king had enough room for a second bed. The bay windows (in every street-view room) all open. The temperature controls actually work. The ground floor has a drive through car port so you can be dropped out the rain & off the street, very nice. Because we were on the top floor, the northwest angled window even had a bridge view; okay, a view of the top of the south tower, which is pretty amazing for how little we paid. I chose Chelsea because it was the cheapest hotel in the city with private baths, the spaciousness and "view" were perks.

The bed was firm without being hard, nice, but increasingly common. There were sheets, the bedspread AND a thermal blanket on the bed, a nice bonus. The biggest bonus was the sheets ~ they're smooth and soft, the kind you buy for home, not the coarse ones many hotels use.

The decor is somewhat dated, but that's okay, it keeps the rates down. The elevator is slow. The hotel is noisy, triple-paned windows would likely solve that, but again, that would mean a price hike. Bring ear plugs.

They are very close to some great restaurants ~ go one block north, to Chestnut, turn left and take your pick. Go two blocks (four if you count the named alleys) south, to Filbert, cross the street to the right for Caffe Dolci and have great gelato. If we'd found it sooner, we'd have been there every day.

Catch the 22 on Fillmore, the 30 (NOT the 30X it's an express, you'll stand the whole way) on Chestnut, the 41 & 45 on Union ~ those four lines go to, or connect with the one that will go to, everywhere tourists want to be. We never had to take more than two buses, often only one. Yes, Chelsea has free parking, but don't rent a car. San Francisco has scary traffic, as in "I'd rather drive in Manhattan" and terrible parking; but they have great mass transit. Take a shuttle from the airport (Muni doesn't go there) and the Muni everywhere else. You can buy an unlimited ride pass by the airport baggage claim and Chelsea is a great location to take advantage of it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Cathy-the-Spherical

Dear Cathy-the-Spherical,

Thank you for writing such an elaborate comment of your recent stay. We are glad to hear you were happily surprised with the location, amenities and comfort for the price you paid. It is our goal to provide value for money at a reasonable price.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Francisco.