“Great Location. Walking Distance to the Harbor”
Review of Motel Capri

Motel Capri
Ranked #115 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great Location. Walking Distance to the Harbor”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Great location, parallel to Lombard Street. Walking Distance to the Harbor (about 7 Blocks)
Room was simple, decent. Mom was missing a blow-dryer.
No Breakfast offered at the Main Office.
We booked online the day before and paid for 2 Nights, 1 Room, 2 Queen Beds, July 2011: $120.
I rated the Rooms Average poor because the rooms weren't THE nicest but they worked for a night or two. I don't want to say poor because depending on your standards this may vary. I rated Service poor because there was no breakfast offered and the front desk person was not very friendly. Which didn't matter to us but it was something I want to mention since I am being asked to rate it. I would stay there again tho, it wasn't that I was repelled or anything.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
san diego, california
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have stayed at Motel Capri in the past and was always delighted to be there...not this time. Since the new "managers" have taken over the place, it has really gone downhill. The first thing you notice is the condition of the room in general...soiled carpet and drapes, junky furniture, torn shower curtain, etc. The TV was the nicest thing in the room...however, you could not get many channels on the so-called Dish Network...could never get it to work.
The in-room coffee was available for one day...after that they kept telling me they ran out and did I want cocoa?? In the past, coffee and tea were available in the lobby all day long...now it is out for an hour or two in the morning and that is it....
I will not be staying at Motel Capri again...the only thing going for it now is the good location...oh yes, I paid quite a bit more for the room this time and did not receive the service I felt we deserved...adios Motel Capri

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank judyp3

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

new york, new york & Ilha Grande Brazil
Reviewed September 21, 2011

My company has been using the Motel Capri for a few years now. It is in a good location for an event we attend every year. We had a pleasant experience in the past and decided to return again this year. Our experience was far from prior ones.
1. Front desk was horrendously rude. First encounter with them when we arrived at 11:30am, they barked at us that check-in wasn't until 3:00 and that was that! No welcoming words or offers to store bags, just "either you can wait here or come back." Not a big deal, but a little unpleasant.
2. The room this time was not so nice. There were cigarette burns on the furniture and the bathroom had some issues ....but ok for the price. Dirty carpeting on the floor...
3. On our exit the same man we encountered upon our arrival, informed us in again an unpleasant manner that keeping our bags for the day for our red-eye home was putting him out and not something he could easily do. In fact, more than 4 hours was problematic and he simply wouldn't do it despite the fact that they had a system for it in place. So 5 nights of staying and I couldn't store my bag for a full day until we went to the airport.

He yelled at me telling me to get out when I decided his tone and language had gone too far. I let him know I had been coming there for some time and my company uses it and I would expect if not service a kinder approach. I guess that is what we get for looking for value.... We spent our last day lugging our bags around town. But before we were sent on our way, the desk guy decided to yell at me when I suggested his services were less than par...he said I had mental problems and more. It was rather funny and horrid at once. My suggestion is don't stay here UNLESS you are willing to accept that $180 a night doesn't make you a valued customer.

Needless to say, we will not be coming back! A little more down the street and you will find nicer options with better rooms and a little service ...which goes a long way!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with wood floors. Not the flea bag carpets.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jrobertsinbrazil
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A great place to stay. The staff was nice and the free parking was great. Stayed 3 nights and found parking every night. It was a bit of a jog to the Wharf area though (About 30 minutes by foot).

Had no noise problems either. My two kids 10 and 12 years old had a good time there as well. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Brussels Belgium
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed in the Capri Motel in August for three nights. The motel is located in an area with lot's of other motel but in a side street with less traffic. The motel is not far from the Union street with nice shops and restaurants. The parking is not big, certainly not enough spaces for everybody, but arriving early evening we had no problem finding a space.
You can walk to Fisherman's Wharf, but it is NOT 15 min as marked on their leaflet, but about a 30 to 40 minutes walk.
The young man at the lobby was very friendly and helpfull. We had a little problem with the TV and he came right up and fixed it. Free computer in the lobby and an ice machine.
The room was very clean and big enough, flat screen TV. Unfortunately no safe in the room and not at the lobby neither, so you have to walk through San Fran with all your valuables.
The motel is not far from buslines, bud we had a bit of trouble finding them. Not easy.
The most annoying thing is that the people in the motel were very very noisy. They stand on the balconys and drink beer (we stayed there a weekend) and when they come home in the night there is a lot of shouting and cheering. As all the rooms go out on the balcony they come by your window and it is really loud.
Maybe we just were unlucky. I don't know if I would stay there again, maybe invest in a bit more 'solid' hotel with less noise.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Black Earth, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I have stayed at Motel Capri a number of times over the past 6 years. During that time it seems to have changed ownership once or twice. The rooms are fine, the location excellent for me and the price not is good for Frisco. Usually the staff has been friendly and helpful until my last stay when I found the male at the desk surly and unhelpful. But that is not my complaint.

My most recent stay was May 31, 2011. When I arrived back in the Midwest and received my VISA statement I had been charged for two nights, the second night being June 1. There was a charge also on the VISA for that same date at Yosemite Park were I actually stayed.

I called Motel Capri and spoke with a person who identified as "Richie" and who told me he would fix the charge and call me back. After a week of not hearing I called back and spoke to a person who identified as "Richie" who said again that he would check into the matter and call me back.

Another week passed without hearing from Motel Capri. I filed a dispute with VISA on July 7. I presented a copy of the receipt for the one night stay and the VISA statement indicating that I had been charged for staying at Motel Capri on the same night that I had actually stayed in Yosemite.

To date, August 30, 2011 the dispute has not been settled. I can only assume that Motel Capri intends to keep the charge for which it is not entitled. I would not deal with this entity again until it has changed ownership again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed 4 nights here with our family of 4 during a sightseeing holiday in SF.
The hotel is very conveniently located for visits to the town centre, shopping, the tourist spots (Fisherman's Wharf, Maritime, Golden Gate bridge); has good and safe parking space and is close to bus stops for in-town travel. Quiet and peaceful area.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. We got a 4-person 2-bed 'suite' with more living space. The beds were comfortable and clean. The rooms are fairly 'used' but adequate. Free coffee & cakes for a quick breakfast in the lobby and free (working!) WiFi.
Good choice if you are not seeking a 4-* resort.
Tip: there is an excellent, but inconspicuous, restaurant on the opposite side of Buchanan Street and more bars and restaurants at walking distance along Union Street.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family