“Affordable with Clean and Comfortable Rooms”
Review of Motel Capri

Motel Capri
Ranked #117 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Boston, Massachusetts
“Affordable with Clean and Comfortable Rooms”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed at this place recently and found the rooms to be clean, comfortable beds and very affordable plus if you're driving, then parking is also complementary! You also get basic breakfast incluuded in the price. The guy at the front desk is very helpful and accomodating. The only downside is that the motel is not adequately staffed, so if you would want something extra i.e. extra pillow, you've got to wait for at least 30mins before it arrives. Nonetheless, for an affordable hotel, I found the experience to be wonderful. I would definetely be staying here again for my next trip to LA!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bristol, UK
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Although Capri Motel is vintage, not vintage style, it is well maintained and spotless. It is 2011 cool without trying to be, or actually knowing it.

The room smelt clean when you walked in and bed sheets were new and crisp. All the furniture including the bed was old and battered but added to the well established feel of the hotel. The mattress however was comfortable. The 1970s pistachio green bathroom suite was part of the experience!

The staff were fantastic, very friendly and knowledgeable of local area.

Good location for SF, close to boutique style shops and opposite a restaurant / bar that opens til 2am. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing! Will take 25-35 minutes to walk to Fishermans Wharf despite Expedia plotting the motel much closer. However two main bus routes are just one or two blocks away and you can access the whole city that way.

Be aware that many hotels/motels in America have thin walls/floor/ceilings and sounds travel easily through them. We were prepared for this by a. indulging in a glass or two of Napas finest and b. packing ear plugs, a combination that assisted in a good nights sleep.

Free WiFi and the use of a computer and printer in the front room was an added bonus.

If you're looking for somewhere clean convenient and simple to stay this is it. You can be assured of a warm welcome.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed at Capri for 2 nites at $74/nt, and what a gem! The rooms are huge, and had a full kitchen with stove and microwave. The bath is tile and everything was spic and span! Free parking (saves $30 a day) and free wifi. The management was super; they stored our extra bike in their office, and they even froze our cooler's ice jug. The location is a 10 as well. It's on a quiet side street off Lombard on Greenwich. We biked to the Marina, Fisherman's Wharf, and over the Golden Gate Bridge. We have been to SF many times, and this place is the best combo of price, location, and great rooms! Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randy S
Oxford,
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I arrived on New Year's Eve, there was a wild party going on in the next room - which was specifically prohibited in the guest rules. The manager was sympathetic but of course the party animals refused to open the door however much I banged on it. After a while the noise subsided. Unfortunately there was noise from other sources, such as workmen and people walking overhead. There was water dripping through the skylight onto the toilet roll in the bathroom.
The positive side: very good and unlimited coffee in the morning. A free computer for internet. The location is also quite good - plenty of buses nearby. This is a typical American motel so if you don't mind noise then it could suit. At the end of the day however there are better deals in SF and I would not go back to this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
San Dimas, California
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I booked two nights for this hotel for my birthday weekend. I had never been to San Francisco and was hoping this weekend was going to be amazing. I was very excited about this hotel because of the reviews. I got there around 2pm on Friday (like I said I had never been to San Francisco before) so I wasn't familiar with all the streets and how horrible the parking was. When my boyfriend and I arrived to the hotel.. to our dismay there was no parking at all. We drove around the whole street (in a circle) and there was nothing. I was pretty angry since it does say free parking for this hotel and I would of thought they would have enough spots considering rooms/one car per room. We finally parked two blocks away and I called the hotel. The lady was kinda slow about my situation and said "I will call your room when a spot opens up and we will save it." I told her that we hadn't even checked in and she didn't even know who I was and we can't check in because we cannot find anywhere close to park! She didn't say anything at all so I just hung up. I was thinking in my head what to do because this was my BIRTHDAY weekend and I wasn't going to drive around for hours until a spot opened up. I remembered a second choice for a hotel which was Surf Motel which was down the street, so I called them and asked if they had parking and a room available. They said yes and were very helpful. I called Motel Capri back and told them I was very unsatisifed and wanted to cancel my reservation and get my money back because of the false advertisement. The lady said I would be charged for one night still since theyre policy is a 2 day prior cancellation to the reservation. Then I wanted to speak to the manager and she said he was gone for the weekend. What really got me upset was when she said "Well a spot might open up later." That just set me off. I'm sorry but you do not say "FREE PARKING!" on a website and then have no spots open and THEN say there MIGHT be a spot open later. I cancelled my reservation, got charged $70 for a room I didn't stay in and ended up staying at the Surf Motel which was MUCH MUCH better. I will be calling management tomorrow and doing whatever I can to get my money back because this is just not right. Listen to what I am saying and do not stay here. Have a good trip!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jadezombie

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This motel is simple and no frills, but a great location and clean. The motel staff wasn't overly helpful, but very nice. This is a great motel if you are on a budget like we were. The location was awesome, walking distance from the ocean and close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. This motel is on the older side, and the rooms are very outdated, but it was clean and that was all that mattered. There were little amenities, but that is to be expected at a budget motel.

A lot of reviews said that this hotel was loud and rowdy, but I didn't notice any problems with noise or rowdy people.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
san francisco
Reviewed December 18, 2010

The room was incredibly clean and the staff was nice, but this is not the place to stay if you like quiet. Even if you are only sharing the hotel with other courteous guests, you will hear their normal-level conversations through the walls, you will hear their televisions, their every footstep and every flush. It is a cheap motel and I'm not prissy about a little noise, so I was OK with that during the work week.

However, I made the big mistake of also staying here over a weekend when the normal guests are replaced by the drunk and obnoxious crowd. Then the noise level becomes absolutely intolerable. I would never even consider this hotel again for a visit including a Friday or Saturday night.

I'd also like to mention the high-speed internet-- it truly was high-speed. I regularly saw 9 Mb/s down and 5 Mb/s up. That is faster than my business-class DSL at home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo