“The newest Wyndham is awesome!”

Wyndham Canterbury at San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I just returned from a get-away with my sweetie to the Wyndham Canterbury. I had never been to San Francisco, and when I told him where we were staying (near Union Square/ Financial District) he said that would be a great area, and he was right! This is an old hotel restored, and it is really beautiful. There is no restaurant, but one is being built. Shame on you if you can't find food in SF-- everywhere is food, and we successfully ate our way through town. There are small stores nearby too, for snackety stuff. We had a one-bedroom unit with no view but who cares? Walk in any direction and there are plenty of views. Every one of the staff members we met were gracious, up-beat, helpful, knowlegeable, and professional. On my tour (no pressure at all) I saw the Presidential suites, which encompass a whole separate building next door. Impressive, Wyndham! It takes a zillion points to stay in those, but oh well. Kudos to Wyndham for supplying recycle bins in the room! It's too bad there is no stove or cookware in the room, but there is a microwave, refrigerator, DW, toaster, blender, etc. Amusing that there is no stove, but a complete set of sharp knives for......microwave cooking..... whatever. The ONLY drawbacks I found with this hotel were not enough lighting in the bedroom (otherwise gorgeous), and the air conditioner blows directly onto the bed, so you're either hot or cold, depending on if it's on or not. I was surprised to find that the windows actually open (no screen), which was kind of nice. The bathroom was awesome, with beautiful tiled shower and the usual ton of towels. No, I do not work for Wyndham, but one would think that I do because I only have good things to say about their resorts. Go if you can to San Fran and get out and WALK and bike and you do NOT need a car, and who on earth would want to drive there? One hint: we wish we had rented a car for one day to go to Muir Woods (beautiful) and Sausalito, etc, because we succumbed to a tour (Tower Tours, booked at the desk) and ended up bailing in Sausalito and taking the ferry back to SF to escape the tour guide from......well, let's say it was like being on a Saturday Night Live skit with Phil Hartman or Bill Murray doing an impression of gung-ho tour guide, but we were stuck and it was expensive and we wished we could have spent more time at the woods, etc. Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse---the guy NEVER stopped talking, and it was like listening to children's television or being read to like kindergarteners-- he started mentioning the musical celebrities of Marin County and then SINGING bits from their songs.... it was painful. Later after we had bailed we were approached by someone else who had bailed, so we weren't the only ones who were appalled by the experience. Yes, I'm being mean, but his name was John and unless you actually like wanting to poke sharp objects into your ears, better check to see if someone else is driving your bus. Or just rent a car. But then, now there is really something to talk about from our trip!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mdnurse

Reviewed October 4, 2009

Great location. Newly remodeled hotel that is simply beautiful inside and out. The room was beautiful. Wonderful and helpful staff greeted us each and everyday. The concierge was very knowledgeable and assisted us with all our activities from BART, cable cars, city tour, shopping, restaurant recommendations, Alcatraz tour (the audio tour is amazing), and the theater. We used the fitness center and the activity room with 2 computers high speed internet and printing capabilities. There are billiard tables, fooz-ball table, board games, books to read and movies to rent. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham Canterbury and looking forward to return.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil_Silva
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We had a 1BD Presidential unit, on the top floor (10th, room 1001), and were extremely surprised and happy with the accommodations. The location is also very good at only a few blocks from Union Square.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank homantag
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I want to start off by saying that this is the nicest timeshare hotel I've ever stayed at. I think that this facility is great, and so are the staff. Especially, a girl named Alex working the front desk. She was very helpful and affirmative. Me and spouse stayed in the one bedroom deluxe unit and found it to be amazing! There was a great queen size bed and 32" flatscreen TV in the bedroom. The kitchen or what is called "kitchenette" was okay. There was a microwave, mini fridge, and other little things. No oven or stove. Anyways, our stay was great and we really reccomend it to anyone. Overall great!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crazyhotelguy54
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Recently renovated, this is one of the most glamorous and spacious hotel spaces I have ever seen in San Francisco. The renovations and upgrades were superb- would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank mrymntgrl
Reviewed July 22, 2009

A nice hotel in a terrific location just off Union Square. Because it has only been "officially" opened for a few weeks, the front desk staff seemed hassled and did not have too much information/recommendations for activities, dining, etc.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank wcfBucksCo_Pa
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Check-in & check-out was fast. Other than the bell man at check-out, all the other staff we encountered was friendly & enthusiastic. The lobby was bright & decorated in white marble. Our 1 bedroom deluxe unit was new, clean, & modern. The kitchenette had a mini dishwasher, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, & blender. The bathroom had a roomy shower (no tub). The bedroom had a queen sized bed & the living room had a pull out sofa. The unit has enough room for 2 adults. They have a small fitness center, activity room, & a recreation room with two computers. Parking is valet & cost just under $35 after taxes.

Supposedly there are complimentary washers & dryers on floors 2, 4, 6 & 8. I didn’t see them when I walked at the end of the hallway, but it says so in their welcome packet. Presidential units have a washer & dryer in the unit.

No restaurant on the property. I hear that they are having a hard time securing a vendor with the economy. However, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. AVOID Piraat Pizzeria & Rotisserie at the end of the block!!! Pizza was horrible & overpriced. Management could care less. I told them nicely about my dislikes & they immediately became rude. Next time I will read restaurant reviews on-line before I dine. Also, some San Francisco restaurants charge a “San Francisco benefits fee” that is added directly to your bill.

Dislikes: Cooking is limited to the microwave & you have to ask for ice to be brought to your room. The mini fridge has very tiny ice cub trays.

Alarm clock is cheap. The sound was horrible & the buttons stuck. Ask for a wake-up call as a back-up.

Construction dust blows in from the window crevice when opened.

Liked: walking distance to Union Square & surrounding area.

We plan on returning in October!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family