“I Love Scotch Ale”

Ranked #472 of 5,695 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: 40 Multi-Tap | Wine | Spirits | Bathroom ToursThis southernmost outpost of the Rogue Nation opened August 26, 2003. It is located in the heart of San Francisco's fabled North Beach neighborhood (at the intersection of Powell and Union, across from Washington Square Park), between Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. Formerly Mel's Steakhouse and Little Cities. Outside seating and 40 taps.
Ashland, Massachusetts
“I Love Scotch Ale”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

One of the biggest disappointments in my live (ok maybe not in my life but my beer life) was at the Rogue Ale Public House. I was at Rougue sampling a couple of beers and having a good time. I mentioned to someone that I loved Scotch Ale... and was wallowing in the fact that McEwan's no longer shipped to the US. The waitress overheard me and asked why I wasn't trying the McRogue. My jaw hit the floor... and I ordered one up. The beer was amazing.

The following year I was waiting for the trip to get my next McRogue. I ordered my first one and the bartender said they don't brew it. On a whim they brewed is the month I was there last year. I was beyond disappointed. Happily, they have a number of other great beers to select from.

Although they are the Rogue Ale House... and serve the majority of Rogue Ales... they also serve some lovely other local beers. Another must for beer lovers.

• Visited September 2012

Oregon
“Nice find. Love Rogue”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

While visiting the wharf area with my daughter and her fiance, we wanted to get off the beaten path for lunch. We walked up to the North Beach area and happened upon Rogue Ales. I love Rogue beer so we decided to give it a try. My husband had great fish tacos and I had a delicious cheeseburger. The atmosphere was typical bar scene --busy and noisy. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive.

• Visited August 2012
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Great Variety of Brews on Tap”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have been here a number of times as this place must have close to 40 beers on tap. The beer menu can vary and just like anything else the experience can be very personal based on your own tastes. To be clear I don't like Bud, Miller or other mass produced generic beers, I really like more flavorful brews with character and these can definitely be found here. So if you typically ask for Bud, Miller, Coors or some other type of common beer this may not be the place for you. If on the other hand, you like trying different beers that may not be commonly found then Rogue is definitely worth a visit. They have ambers, IPAs, lagers, pilsners, scotch ales, porters, stouts, hef, you name it. I will continue going back as the beer is good, the bartenders are knowledgeable and they are happy to recommend brews and provide small tasters for you to try.

• Visited July 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Average food, but why eat when you can drink?”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Best beer in Portland, also best beer menu in SFO. We were happy to stumble upon this place, twice, so we had to stop and enjoy the brew. Definitely recommend this brewery!

Visited May 2012
Waukegan, Illinois
“A Beer Lover's Must”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

If you can't find something that you'll absolutely love, you don't love great beer. Order a sampler or just keep the pints coming. As a Wisconsin-born beer lover it was great to see more than two Rogue brews on tap. I'll be retruning for sure.

Visited May 2012