“'Crazy' service”

La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Reserve with OpenTable
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #214 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington and The Embarcadero
Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
Description: Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheri-a Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.
Reviewed April 10, 2014

La Mar is a top notch restaurant that truly deserves equal service. Bar tenders are great and attentive, but our food server had no idea on when to approach our table, interrupting our conversation with our guests on numerous occasions. At one point, I asked to see the wine list and while I was talking he came from behind me and over my head presenting the wine list up against my face. Weird.....
The food was amazing!!! And we will definitely return since I'm sure this was an isolated, nutty waiter, but management please be aware, you stop watching what is going on out there and your ratings start to slip.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed April 8, 2014

During our walking-tour through downtown San Francisco we stopped at LA MAR for some lunch. Since we're not specialists for Peruvian food we asked the manager what to order.

We had the Classic Cebiche, the Causa sampler and some wok fried beef. The food was very good, especially the causa sampler was very interesting.

Locations is prime and we were seated without long-time waiting, even we didn't have a reservation.

I've to agree with some other reviewers, the service is very, very slow!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stopped by LaMar for a quick bite and was seated in the bar which serves the full menu. Tried a couple of the ceviche selections and a quinoa salad. The ceviche was authentic ~ made us think we were in Lima. Made dinner reservations for a return visit during our San Fran stay. Pricey but worth it.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband and I stopped in here for an appetizer and drinks....drinks were great and the Halibut Ceviche was even better!!!! We wanted to order another round of the ceviche but had to get going...also the atmosphere is beautiful...highly recommend this place

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Food was really good but slightly pricey for the end result - perhaps one pays for the ambience (young and hip, leading to the noise factor) and/or the view and setting (by the Bay) - but the food was stylish, tasty, imaginative and the overall effect was, while I couldn't call it pleasant, engaging. I would come back and I would try to bring someone I was trying to make think "I" was hip. My wife knows I'm hip - she was less taken with the experience. "What? I said "What?"" Oh, and the drinks can help one forget how unhip they really are.