“Real Food”

La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Reserve with OpenTable
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 5,909 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington and The Embarcadero
Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
Description: Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheri-a Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely experience in La Mar the favor so good, the services very nice and fast we really enjoy are dinner, my BF is European and he was in live with the all experience the ceviche was so fresh I did had the ceviche carretero the best then I had the tenderloin meat was perfect we recommend this restaurant is at the Envarcadero Pear 3 .

Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We went there to meet friends and could not hear a thing at our table due to the extremely loud noise in the back room.
The decor was fun and fancy but i thought the dishes were way overpriced! My cebice platter was about $ 34 but the fish at least tasted fresh. I asked for some form of bread or starch to go with it and they said they only had fried chips. It was missing that ethnic flair I was expecting from a Peruvian restaurant.
Don't think I will go back...

1  Thank winesavi
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Enjoyed a Christmas Eve lunch at La Mar with our family! The food was good but the portions were ridiculously tiny, especially the Causa. I'm from Lima and fanatical about food and in particular, Peruvian cuisine. Of the hundreds of Peruvian restaurants around the world I've personally have frequented, when we received the Causa, I sincerely thought it was a practical joke! I appreciate smaller portions at restaurants because it's quality not quantity I'm after but this Causa was not that great to be that small! For the pricing, the value for all of the food is simply not there. Granted the overhead for being located on the pier must be high but do not forget the fact that it is a restaurant and one goes there to eat not simply enjoy the atmosphere.

This brings me to my second discontent about such a celebrity chef as Gaston is around the world. I did not see one single Peruvian item on display. Peru has an extremely rich culture renowned around the world. For a Peruvian restaurant outside of Peru one would likely make an attempt to showcase something. I believe having some Peruvian items enhances the atmosphere and takes you closer to Peru and makes the entire experience more meaningful. In the Mexico City location in which I had a similar complaint, they at least had a picture of Machuu Picchu in the women's bathroom. At this location, even that small token item was MIA. I do not understand the logic and feel sad that a Peruvian of his stature feels his culture must be hidden in order to succeed in a foreign land. Should I have had the ability to be such a fine, renowned chef as Gaston, I would proudly display my culture especially outside Peru so that foreigners would see the marvels that are so treasured by Peruvians and world travelers as well and again something that enhances the entire experience at a restaurant.

One other item missing was the spicy Aji. Once again, while I concur that the general food dishes must be edible by all, a spicy Aji on the side for those if us that would like to feel the warm sensation of this fabulous tasting pepper as many in Peru would agree, should be a staple in any Peruvian restaurant. Finally, with the not so positive aspects, the wait for the Picarones would make one think they were coming form Lima and not the local kitchen. Once they arrived, I must admit they were very tasty!

The final pleasant item was our waitress who was knowledgeable and with a great demeanor that seemed uncommon to the many other wait staff.

I give it 3 stars as the food was tasty! I hope he can be successful in San Francisco but I hope someone conveys some observations that I believe would enhance and grow his clientele.

1  Thank George L G
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We were a group of nine ladies from Vancouver celebrating a special birthday in San Francisco. I loved that we could have so many different dishes and they were all delicious! We pre-booked our meal and all the food was served family style so we could adjust our own portions. It was a wonderful dining experience! Food was delicious and service was great!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

La Mar is very large, but the service makes it feel very intimate. The interior is beautifully designed. Many people waited on us, and each was nicer than the next., never rushing us, and obliging all of our requests with a smile. The manager even arranged it so we could order a half portion of a main course we wanted to try. Clearly, the ceveche in all the variations La Mar offers are the thing to order. We also ordered unique drinks which were very good. There are many other types of tapas. For example, the causas--whipped potatoe with seafood, chicken or vegetables on top--are very beautifully constructed and unusual. Worth trying but not as good as the ceveche. For dessert, we had choco—maracuya--passion fruit mousse layered with raspberry compote, chocolate mousse, and almond praline. Very special! Overall, a very positive experience.

Duo of whipped potatoes topped with seafood or vegetarian