“Strange Service”

La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Reserve with OpenTable
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington and The Embarcadero
Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
Description: Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheri-a Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I read a lot of other reviews on this one, and I think they may have good days and bad days. First, the food is great and very fun. One fish dish we had was colder than it should have been, which brings me to the service. Our first courses were nicely paced, until the final one which took an hour to get. This is a very busy, loud place, and after awhile I didn't really want to be sitting there. It is also a sort of high pressure sales pitch place-with tapas style the waiters have incentive to sell you high margin too much food. So I would suggest going there at off times when it might be less loud.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were taken to this restaurant for a “light” lunch by our son, who lives in SF. We were not sure what to expect of a Peruvian restaurant but the food was excellent. There are several different cebiches, all looking good. The mixed skewers (one chicken, one beef and one fish) are also worth trying, as is the tomato and grain salad topped with cheese.

We ordered five dishes which we shared; four would probably have been quite sufficient as, although some of the portions look reasonably small, we found them quite filling.

We thought that it was quite expensive, even for SF, but that is probably because of its enviable position and popularity. Try to get a table outside on the back deck, if you can, to watch the ferries coming and going and generally enjoying the view of the bay.

1  Thank TauntonBob
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I ordered the Cebiche Classical, which is delicious! But the salad was really small and expensive. All the dishes I saw were small. I think it's a good place to drink some wine and eat a cebiche, but it's not so good to have lunch or dinner.

1  Thank LairaCurado
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Inexpensive and well presented!
I amost had to waddle away after over indulging in all the wonderful food.
I started with the seafood appetizer and this was that start of a wonderful relationship for the night :)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I live Peruvian food. We hadn't been to SF is quite a while but a friend recommended that we try La Mar. I owe the friend a drink. We loved this place. They have outside seating looking onto the Bay, they also have a large dining are and separate bar. The place was packed on a Saturday night. It oozed energy and there were lots of happy and laughing diners enjoying the night out. Try the Classico Ceviche and the Causas sampler they were terrific. The staff was really personable, knowledgable and attentive. I also thought the pricing was really reasonable. Located on the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building, it close to downtown.