“One of the worlds finest!”

Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square
Ranked #20 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We recently travelled throughout California and since time together as a family is rare and precious we selected to stay in what we were informed were the finest luxury hotels in their destinations. We stayed at Four Seasons, Ritz and Mandarin and must say that The Fairmont Ghirardelli far exceeded every hotel that we stayed at. The location is wonderful, right by the water, we tremendosuly enjoyed relaxing on the the terrace by the fireplace. The suites are beautiful with hardwood floors, excellent quality appliances in the kitchen such as Sub Zero and a fantastic entertainment system . They have a complimentary chauffeur service in a very nice Lexus SUV which took us to all of the places we were interested in and picked us up when we were ready to return. We stayed in a city view suite and found the view enjoyable and quiet especially compared to other city locations. We enjoyed room service and the complimentary movie selection and popcorn delivered by our butler which was a real treat. Also very nice that wireless internet access was complimentary espcially since most other companies still charge for this. We really enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning with the fresh fruit, juice, yogurt, granola, bagels and pastries. The best part of our experience was the service. We felt like every employee that we interacted with sincerely cared and were willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that that we had a great stay. We work hard for our money but are willing to pay the price to enjoy finer quality and with the experience that we received at The Fairmont Ghirardelli we feel like we received fantastic value. We hope to return very soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 26, 2010

First off, this hotel was perfect for our trip to CA, as we were staying in SF at the midway point, and lo and behold, these lovely condos have washer and dryer (note that these are energy efficient ones that take a looonnnggg time to run and get the clothes mostly dry, but they were still a washer and dryer!).

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath 4th floor room that was very elegant and clean. Location was ideal, with Ghiardellli Square right outside, and we walked to Pier 33 in about 20 minutes. The trolley cars start within a 2 min walk and there are loads of restaurants and shops around. The room 2 king bedrooms with huge bathrooms, and the couchbed was as comfy as they come. The living room had a fireplace, TV and built-in surround sound and the full kitchen included a wine chiller.

Wine and cheese each night and a nice breakfast each morning. Wonderful service including 2 vehicles that take you where you need to go.

Only real negative was the loud sounds from the street, despite being on the 4th floor, but remember, this is an old factory building. It wasn't too bad but woke us up at least once each night. Also one bedroom stayed cooler than the others, due to being on a corner. But these are minor points and we would 100% stay here again!!!!

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We made reservations to stay at the Fairmont at Ghirardelli Square over 4 months ago. We carefully chose that location because of its walking proximity to what we wanted to see, as well as its amenities (kitchen, laundry, etc) which fit the needs of our young family. We had read the TripAdvisor reviews and were very excited about our upcoming stay there. Then 48 hours before our arrival we were contacted by Fairmont at Ghirardelli Square and told that they were overbooked. They were moving us to the Fairmont at Nob Hill. We tried to speak of it to them in terms of moving us being a choice for us to do or not, but it became clear to us that despite our longstanding reservation that they did not particularly see it that way.

To their credit they arranged for us to stay at the Fairmont at Nob Hill and they picked up the room charge. Was that generous on their part? Yes, it most certainly was generous. Was staying at the Fairmont Nob Hill a convenient or satisfying experience for us? No, it was not. If we had wanted to stay at a business oriented hotel, not within walking distance to many major attractions, without en suite kitchen or laundry, and not particularly friendly to young children -- then we would have booked at the Fairmont Nob Hill in the first place.

I am not implying the Fairmont at Ghirardelli Square was not generous in agreeing to pick up the hotel charges for the less luxurious and more inconvenient accommodations they provided to us. They were. I appreciate that many hotels would not have done as much. However, we were never given the courtesy of even being told why our reservation of 4 months was not being honored. Instead the tone from the Ghirardelli was more one of we should be content with what they chose to give us. It is that aspect that seems quite inconsistent with a #1 rated hotel.

24  Thank shenn
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We have just left after a great 5 night stay at this hotel. We got upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite from our original booking of a 1 bedroom so were really spoilt. From prearrival questions such as transfers from airport and any grocery requirements to the suggestions of itinerary the staff could not have been thoughtful enough.
The location is great too. Breakfast was good and the possibility to take back to the residence was great for small children.
Only thing I would say is that if you are a very light sleeper I would suggest a bay view room, north point road is reasonably busy.
Perfect hotel, perfect staff thoroughly deserves it's rating.
Ps there is also a small
Fitness area, 3 treadmills, cross trainer plus weights etc.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I booked this Hotel after it's rave reviews on Trip Advisor. While it is a very nice Hotel and the rooms are lovely I felt it overpriced compared to other Hotels we stayed in while in the States. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were comfortable I didn't feel the location was the best. It is very close to Fishermans Wharf which was a let down. Very dirty and a lot of beggars and homeless people. Next time I will stay up around Union Square which is more close to the action and better restaurants.

1  Thank Aussie_traveller059
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I just returned from my trip to san fran so I figured this was the best time to write this review. I did think this hotel was ok, I am a bit surprised that it is the best hotel in san fran on tripadvisor. Really this is the best the town has to offer?

Cons:
1. recent renovation is good but I had a 3 bedroom unit. This isn't really a 3 bedroom unit, really 2 bedrooms with a loft. It was sold as a 3 bedroom but the 3rd bedroom has no door, no closet, so I don't think you can call it a 3bedroom unit. The loft is the 3rd bedroom but it doesn't have a bed, it's a sofa bed, so if you don't like your friends put them up there. Unfortunately for me but good for the hotel the hotel was full most of the time we were there so that's the unit we got.
* so really not a 3 bedroom unit

2. recent renovation difficulties with the a/c. I had the largest bedroom downstairs and was getting really hot at night because there was not air vent in the bedroom. There is only a return vent in the corner, so you get to leave your door open and it gets pretty warm in there.

3. it's very popular so it's loud, until usually 11-12pm, so we were getting up early to go out so that was difficult to fall asleep to.

4. room was sold as having 2 balconies. ok this is another exaggeration much like 3 bedrooms, one balcony was off of the second floor loft room, and it was great and a super nice balcony but it was off of one of friends room, so we had to go through their room to get out to the balcony, that doesn't work so we only went on the balcony one time just to look out. also the other balcony is the hallway to enter the unit, that's a hallway, it's not a balcony if other people walk down that hall to get to their units.

5. we found this out the day before we came back so were never told the front desk but the washer and dryer in the unit are awesome but the dryer took 4 times to get a load dry so not so helpful, but if working this is really nice for this unit.

6. parking is 50 dollars a night, I know it's San Francisco but wow that's a lot.

pros'
1. use of the lexus suv was great, we probably in 10 days used it 15 times, it was helpful and very rarely would we have to wait over 40 minutes to get it to pick us up and it was helpful since we had 5 in our group and that's one too many for cabs so we would have had to do 2 cabs.

2. service was outstanding, they were as nice as they could be, in fact the front desk guy I believe clearly understood that you can't call a room a bedroom without a door. He attempted to get us another room but that took 2 days and by the time they asked us to move it was 30 minutes before we were leaving for a tour that was non refundable. I understand that they did their best but we shouldn't have gotten into this situation. They were very nice trying to help us.

3. repair work was very quick, this a pro and a con, the door to our bathroom was broken and needed repair, but when we reported it, it was repaired very quickly. However maybe housekeeping could have notice that you couldn't close the door and reported it, but they were quick and efficient at repairing it, so kudos on that one.

4.kitchen and table was great, you get a little frig, microwave, and plates and silverware. we went downstairs and got bagels and the like from the breakfast and bought it back daily. this was fun for a group to be able to sit together for breakfast and also at the end of the night.

5. internet free for joining the frequent renter club, it was really really nice, I used this every day. thanks to fairmont for this, four seasons doesn't do this and it's really annoying.

6. this is a timeshare, but you wouldn't know it, they were so not pushy that unless you do some research you will not find out that it's a timeshare. of course usually if I was going down to the front it was to ask about all of the issues, so maybe they would have asked in a different situation. I didn't go and complain all the time but we were there 10 days so I did mention different things during this trip

7. front desk was able to get me a small fan to try to blow air into my bedroom, thanks for that, still didn't really help but good effort.

8. special pricing right now makes this a great deal.

9. all of the different things to do in the square are really nice you don't have to travel for restaurants etc.

10. free chocolate in the rooms.

11. good housekeeping service with turn down at night.

** overall good hotel but some really annoying things made me give this a 3 star review. I give the service staff high marks but don't call a 2 bedroom unit with a loft a 3 bedroom. I have a 4 bedroom house with 3 living areas; if I buy 3 hideabeds; I can't call it 7 bedrooms.
Also the a/c thing was a big problem for me, other people may not be as bothered. ps you can't open the windows and let the air in, which would work well, but it's really loud so you can't do the window opening idea..

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank guy999
Reviewed July 14, 2010

After reading reports of this property I had to stay here. I am a big fan of Fairmont Hotels anyway and have stayed in a couple before so I had high expectations and this hotel did not disappoint. Rooms aree spacious with beautiful decor and great amenities which can be a chllenge in buildings over 100 years old. The the views of San Francisco Bay is lovely and the amenities of Ghiradelli Square with an array of restaurants and shops at the doorstep. They have a pleasant outdoor area with fire pits and comfy furniture. Next time I'm coming back with the girls and will leave the husband at home!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple