“Girls Night Out with Style”

Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square
Ranked #30 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I have stayed at this property 3 different times and each experience was excellent. My first stay was mid summer for the July 4th celebrations in the city. We paid for the city view apartment and were upgraded to the Bay View. The one bedroom apartment was beautifully laid out with everything we could want but really didn't need for our short stay. The photo's on their website are understated if anything. Our 2nd stay was shared with friends and the 2 bedroom bay view on the 4th floor was a 2 story unit. We liked having one bedroom upstairs as it gave us a real sense of privacy. Our 3rd stay was in Dec. to celebrate a special birthday and we had a 2 bedroom on the terrace with a walk out private patio adjoining the main terrace which is available for all guests. We also had a 2 bedroom city view unit and the 2nd bedroom had twin beds which worked perfect for my 2 sisters. This place is really special and if you can snag one of their special deals it is well worth the price, at full price this place is still worth considering for a special night. We really like the apartment style units and the quality of the furnishings which are comfortable and elegant but not fussy. The morning breakfast in the lounge is fairly decent but with a full kitchen in every unit, not really necessary. The hotel car is available on a first come basis and we used it on all of our stays and did not have to wait long. This could be an issue if you are there on a busy night. The friends we have told about this place have been pleased with their stays as well. If you are a Presidents Club member the internet is free.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelmystic

Reviewed February 3, 2010

The Fairmont at Ghirardelli Square is a great hotel (it's a timeshare that also rents rooms out as a hotel), and an excellent value for families. The hotel features 1, 2, and 3 bedroom suites which are basically fully furnished luxury city apartments. At the time we were booking, a 2 bedroom suite at the Fairmont Ghirardelli was priced slightly less than 2 connecting rooms and a lot less than a 2 bed suite at a comparable hotel in the city. If this is still the case, this represents an excellent value for families looking for 2 or 3 bedroom suites. The selling point of this hotel is the outstanding quality of the rooms. The single level suites are decorated in contemporary/modern style with granite countertops throughout, modern kitchen appliances (dishwasher, full size microwave/oven, stove, wine fridge, full sink, toaster, coffee maker, full set of stemware, full set of porcelain china, flatware, cooking knives, etc - probably better equipped than your own kitchen), baths with separated toilet (WC), spacious tubs and showers with excellent water pressure & temp, outstanding beds and linens/pillows (super comfortable, better than W Heavenly), and in-unit washer/dryer. Living room is very spacious with gas faux fireplace and all units (it seemed) have their own generous balconies. Didn't have any issues with sound from neighbors. You could hear other family members within the suite between rooms, but it was manageable. The service at the Fairmont is pretty darn good. They try really hard to exceed your expectations, and everyone really steps up to meet your needs without a single complaint. The only issue I had was that the housekeeping during my stay only cleaned beds and bathrooms, didn't straighten up living room or kitchen. Location is unbeatable for tourists - you are in Ghirardelli Square, steps away from the Pier, Marina, GG Bridge. Kind of far from nearest BART station, but the hotel has a car (Maserati) which will take you to/from the BART. Free continental breakfast every morning with a good selection of pastries and such was much appreciated. Guests who join their frequent traveller club (Presidents Club) get free in-room Internet and free local calls. Valet parking is $50/night. Overall, an excellent hotel, and for now, also an excellent value. I'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank superfila
Reviewed January 29, 2010

My boyfriend and I traveled to CA for his birthday. In my future trips to the San Francisco area I will not stay anywhere else. The service at this hotel is unlike anything I have ever experienced. We arrived at the hotel 4 hours early and they let us check in. They also upgraded our room from a one to a two bedroom bay view. The view was beautiful. JB, one of the valet men was very helpful. He drove us to our lunch destination and offered to pick us up in the house car. Unfortunately we were only able to stay one night here, but we will definitely be back. Give this place a try, you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NapaVaca
Reviewed January 20, 2010

My dad just turned 70 so all the kids flew in to spend a long weekend in San Fran together. I think my mom picked the place and she said it was supposed to be pretty neat.... Holy Mother of Understatements! Its in ghirardelli square with all the other shops, wine bars, and resturants, and only a few blocks from fishermans wharf... but we walked in and thought "Who needs to leave the hotel!?" The rooms were beautifully done, modern elegant and had everything we needed - included a super helpful concierge staff that helped out with questions, cabs, and reservations. The rooms were set up as condos, so everyone had their own room and no one had to sleep on the couch or fight over a bathroom. Breakfast in the morning was simple, but fresh and free! And its worth it to make it back to the hotel between 4-5pm for the free wine tasting - loved the malbec! The only thing that could make it better would be a pool/hot tub (which I believe is on the way in their new spa renovations).

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MrsZiggy
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Spent 8 nights here with my family over the Christmas holiday. The time passed much too quickly - we all would have loved to have stayed longer. This is the perfect hotel for family groups and friends to be together.

We experienced outstanding levels of service during our stay - from Front desk to housekeeping staff - everyone seemed willing to go that extra mile. We asked for a Christmas tree on arrival and even though it was 22nd Dec and trees were hard to come by, a beautiful tree was delivered within a couple of hours.
Our spacious 2 bedroom residence with fabulous views of the bay came with every amenity we could wish for including state of the art kitchen, closets that lit up when you opened the doors, huge wall mounted flat screen TVs and a gas log fire in the lounge. The modern loft style decor is stunning with dark wooden floors in the living area, high ceilings, track lighting, big windows and exposed brick work. The kitchen is supplied with coffee, tea, milk and sugar. There is aslo an ample supply of dishwasher powder,paper towels and washing powder (the residence comes with a washing machine and tumble dryer). There were 2 en suite shower rooms and a further downstairs toilet. There is no need to cook if you prefer not to as there are several restaurants at Ghirardelli square and Fishermans Wharf is a short stroll away. The hotel provides a complimentary continental breakfast.
I stayed in 2 other luxury hotels in San Francisco during my visit and neither came close to the Fairmont Heritage. It is simply the best. You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank buenasvacaciones
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I had to travel to San Francisco for business on short notice. All hotels were sold out due to a citywide event. I usually stay at the Fairmont San Francisco, so thought I would try their new property.

The hotel did not have any single rooms available due to the event. My two colleagues and I decided to book a three bedroom apartment. Since we are all pretty private, we were hesitant to do so. We should not have worried. This apartment was absolutey stunning. Each guestroom was humungous and featured a king bed and bathroom. The living room and kitchen were sleek and modern and perfect for entertaining. The best part of the apartment was the balcony - it had the most amazing view, overlooking Alcatraz. There was also a fire pit. Absolutely wonderful.

The service was great as well. I arrived really late in the evening due to a flight delay and was exhausted. I told the front desk this and they refrained from giving me a brief overview of their services, delivering me and my bags to my room quickly and offering an overview in the morning.

Additional perks - there is a free continental breakfast AND the business center is free. What a rarity in a luxury hotel! Other hotels should take notice. Your guests are willing to pay a good rate for a good hotel, but they would rather not feel as if they're being "nickled and dimed".

Although I usually prefer to stay in a more central location (this hotel was located in Fisherman's Wharf), I would certainly return given the chance.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank CityGirl610
Reviewed December 17, 2009

There is little more to say about this hotel other than it is absolutely superb. For some reason they gave me a unit with two rooms, and one could easily get lost... State of the art appliances, first class amenities, helpful and unobtrusive staff. And the view of Alcatraz from my room was amazing!
It must be said that their free breakfast is a real continental offer with fresh juices, cereals and fruit, not the ordinary coffee and pastries offered at some other places. Fisherman Wharf itself is not that attractive, with an endless row of souvenir stores. But you do get a wide choice of very good restaurants nearby, on all price ranges, which the staff will be happy to reserve for you. Would love to go back here anytime.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo