“nice stay...however.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
california
“nice stay...however.”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This is my third stay at this property. I booked a 3 bedroom city view months ago. When we arrived, we were downgraded to a 2 bedroom unit. I needed a 3 bedroom for we had 6 people in our unit. I was very disappointed that the manager had overbooked the hotel and had not called prior to our arrival to discuss this situation. Our stay was nice, however we booked a 3 bedroom unit so no one would disturb anyone if they got up early. I think Fairmont could have handled this much better. We were sent a dozen cupcakes and a bottle of wine for the issue but I feel if you were staying at the Ritz Carlton, they would have handled this issue with a better comp.

I am returning in December but am now concerned this could happen again. No one likes to sleep on a pull out couch in the family room.

One final note....on our second night, we did not receive housekeeping. We were gone all day so there is no excuse for this.

12 Thank kell113

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 2, 2009

So I decided to take my whole family (Self, husband, daughter, mom and dad) on vacation. Kinda, I picked the hotel. So after talking with other travelers and reading reviews I thought Fairmont Ghiradelli Square would be the best fit for a variety of activities and people going. I WAS RIGHT!

First off, the hotel is gorgeous and the service is top notch! I received an email from their concierge, Jeremy, a week before I was due out with contact information and any needs or requests I may have. (Which were none, but just the same). When I arrived Jeremy was there to greet us and made us all feel right at home.

I booked a 2 bedroom city view which we were escorted to and given a run down of room and hotel amenities. The room was nicely appointed with spacious kitchen, dining and living area. There is one master bedroom with a king bed, separate shower and tub, robes and excellent linens (I let my parents have this room). The second bedroom also has a king bed with high thread count sheets. Shared bathroom has a walk in shower and large vanity. The room itself was great but there was quite a bit of street noise. The only downfall. (Opt for the bayview and you'll skip the traffic noise).

There are 2 patios, one with a great view, both with firepits which are nice on a cold SF night! I think I spent a little time out there every night with a glass of wine or cup of tea! The hotel also offers a small gym, which I did not use, I was really on vacation and a great lounge area. The lounge had a pool table, which we did use almost every day. They offer a wine and cheese happy hour too. There is a spa going in, but was under construction when I was there (too bad).

Lastly, location. You are AT Ghiradelli Square, literally, there is a back entrance that steps out to the square. You have a choice of many restaurants in your back yard. I highly recommend McCormick's & Kuletos, great seafood! Of course, chocolate and ice cream is steps away. Try a cupcake at Kara's too! Short walk from the hotel is the Cable Car turnaround, the bay and Maritime museum! Quick cab ride or bus ride anywhere!

All and all, Stay there! The cost was comparable to anywhere near by and you couldn't ask for a better location! The staff really made it for me! They were attentive and really made you feel at home! Hope that gives you a better idea.

2 Thank ddingle
Melbourne, VICTORIA
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Just finished 2 nights at the Ghirardelli, which was the most enjoyable 5 star experience I've had at any property Stateside. We had an incredible deal which meant we gave plenty of $$$ to the local wine store, chocolatier and restaurants. Not to mention the generous staff tips. Every cent was worth it.

We enjoyed a 2 bedroom City view room which was larger than our apartment at home (bring earplugs if you are on this side as the traffic noise from outside can get slightly annoying at 6am weekdays). The rooms are superbly outiftted, the beds as comfortable as our one at home, and as President's Club Members we of course enjoyed excellent free breakfasts, free wirless internet and all newspapers each day. We had a floor butler assigned too, but didn't end up using him/her.

And that Maserati towncar - nice!

The hotel staff are also uniformly welcoming, friendly and professional. Can't really fault the place.

If you can afford it, have a special occasion to celebrate, or can find a deal, don't hesitate for a minute to stay here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank candyflip69
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Had a 1 bedroom on the second floor (#214) with huge balcony overlooking Alcatraz and Ghirardelli Square. Noise from below was never an issue. Room was in perfect condition, spotless clean. Service by all staff was excellent. Breakfast was not huge but was all you really need to start the day. Afternoon wine and cheese was very good. Location is perfect for access to all attractions. The use of the house car was a nice touch. We will be back as soon as possible !!
Stay here, you will be glad you did.

2 Thank Honestly-2-U
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Not much to add to the glowing reviews below. We loved the Fairmont Heritage! Beutiful 2 bedroom unit with views of the bay and Alcatraz. Took advantage of the two firepits, the pool table, the extensive movie collection and the Maserati! The car was always availalbe, very rarely did we have to wait. Had the continental breakfast each morning, which was lovely, with many different kinds of fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, cereals, and yogurts.

The pictures on the website are very representative of the hotel. Another plus (not for my waistline!) was the proximity to the Ghiradelli chocolate store. My teens went down every night and had a very large sundae and I frequently walked in for some free chocolate! There is also an absolutely delicious cupcake shop "Kara's Cupcakes", which is worth trying. We enjoyed the 360 Wine Celler which was in the square just steps away from our hotel. Great for purchasing wine, cheese, etc.

What is really exceptional here is the high level of service by all members of the staff. Extremely polite, pleasant, and very helpful. We loved our stay. Check out their website for special rates.

2 Thank Colleen T
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Location is excellent right on Ghirardelli Square with direct access through the hotel. We stayed in a two bedroom suite + living room + kitchen, very high standards throughout. Free internet and breakfast. Complimentary Maseratti Quatropporte to drive or pick you up to a 2 miles radius. Small, less than 100 apartments. Unbelievable value. I will not even bother writing further. Take my word for it, this is the place to stay in San Francisco.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank thefoureyedpanda
Georgia
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We loved the location, service, breakfast, room, wine, and everything about the Fairmont. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We had a city room on the first floor and never had any problem with noise. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Francisco. Also take advantage of the car it was nice!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends