“Amazing place”

Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$35.95*
and up
California Academy of Sciences General Admission...
$60.90*
California Academy of Sciences Behind-the-Scenes Tour
$15.00*
California Academy of Sciences NightLife
Ranked #14 of 561 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The world’s only aquarium-planetarium-rainforest-living museum. Come nose-to-beak with penguins and parrots, watch sharks and sting rays cruise beneath your feet, and feel the spray of the California coast. Fly to Mars (and beyond the Milky Way!) from the safety of your planetarium seat, take a virtual safari in African Hall, or climb into the canopy of a living rainforest. Face your fears—and an albino alligator—inside the Swamp, and meet scientists as they return from research expeditions around the world. From the depths of a Philippine coral reef to the outer reaches of the Universe, it's all inside the California Academy of Sciences.
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I really love this museum and I'm not a museum person. Love the indoor rainforest. All of the plants and animals are fascinating. The planetarium is great too. Great place to spend an afternoon and it's in beautiful Golden Gate Park.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The California Academy of Sciences is a great place to visit.
Great Family Outing. The Academy Building is improved and The Steinhart Aquarium Looks very different from 15 Years ago.
I Love the new look of the Aquarium Exhibit. But I am missing the Older Original Art Deco Structure.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We loved everything about the California Academy of Sciences. I was enchanted from the moment I saw the shallow pool by the entrance with sharks and stingrays swimming around. The amazonian rain forest was mesmerizing, with all the butterflies and other critters freely flying about. The whole space was airy and spacious, and the surrounding park is an ideal place just to have stroll around and relax. This is one of the places that will stay with me for a long time :)

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went in late January and I felt it would be a shame to not write about my experience. First off, the building is absolutely gorgeous, and possessed very open concept. The planetarium was our first stop and was our main reason for going. We saw Cosmic Collisions, which just stopped being shown, and sat through an entertaining and informational experience narrated by Robert Redford. It was truly an experience. Afterwards, we went to the aquarium which beat expectations by a good margin. They had every kind of sea life and small station where you could pet urchins and starfish for the kids. The earthquake simulator was good as well, but can only be so realistic to not scare anyone off. The human evolution exhibit was very neat as well. In all this was probably the most enjoyable experience that I have had at a museum, and most definitely the best I have had at a science museum. Even if you are not typically a fan of museums, this one might change your mind...and that is the highest compliment that an establishment can receive.

1  Thank KosmoYagkoto
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is one place I visit with my 2 year old granddaughter frequently . Though much is lost on her , I think the exposure will have a lasting impact on her. They have a great aquatic section that you can stare at forever (until she is ready to move on). The rainforest exhibit is fantastic with butterflies and humidity. There is a kids play area that is loaded with hands on toys. The only downside is the overpriced "cafe" with few kids choices on the menu....perhaps many kids bring their lunches which I do advise.