“Great Sushi and Ramen”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Japantown
Neighborhood: Japantown
Reviewed April 7, 2013

A bit of a wait but worth it. One waitress for the whole place but she was friendly and got the job done! Huge portions and a great price. Open late and the place was packed at 9pm. Will defenatly be eating here again when we come to San Fransisco! I recommend the Rainbow roll and Miso soup :)

There are newer reviews for Tanpopo

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The food here was good and reasonably priced, but we had to wait for a table. That part was understandable, they were busy, but they then forgot about us completely for 10 or so minutes after seating us - didn't give us a menu, water or anything. I found that a little unacceptable.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I love this place, too. It's quirky and fun and filled with locals. It fills up within minutes of opening, too. Lots of affordable meals and an excellent selection of sakes and beers. Where else could I find "grilled (beef) guts" as a beer snack? The staff is just as fun as the food and so are the other patrons! Love it!

Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I had a delightful bowl of spicy miso ramen that was reminicsent of ramen shops throughout Japan. It wasn't perfect, but it brought back a flood of good memories. The chasi pork was se of the best I had in San Francisco.
The service was nice, quick, and helpful.
I would recommend this shop to anyone that's looking to have their first bowl of ramen, or those that that know what they like. I will visit again when I'm back in the area.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Tanpopo: good ramen for those who don't know what good ramen is.

Sorry but it's true.

The karamiso ramen is probably the best option because it is very spicy, so you won't realize as much that the broth is tasteless and the quality of the noodles is poor.

Their Kyushu "tonkotsu" ramen is just horrible. The broth does not taste like it ever saw the slightest bit of pork bones in it; it is reeeeeeally bland. For decent tonkotsu ramen in SF, check out Kirimachi in North Beach. Tanpopo's version is just a cheap trick to cash in on the current "tonkatsu ramen craze" without actually putting in the hard work that it takes to make good tonkatsu broth.

I do enjoy going to Tanpopo though. It's a fun place to hit up during happy hour (5 to 7pm) for $2 drafts at the bar, and their takoyaki (deep fried octopus in batter) and torikawa age (deep fried chicken skin) are pretty damn good, and go perfectly with a cold beer. Just don't come here expecting to eat decent ramen.

PS: for spectacular Japanese food (sushi AND cooked items) - check out Sushi Aka Tombo directly across the street.