“Glad I did my research and stayed here”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #14 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver
“Glad I did my research and stayed here”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have been to SF previously, however I had always stayed with friends, never stayed at a hotel until my most recent visit. I stayed at the Chancellor Hotel from Feb 28 to March 4. I found the location of the hotel to be very central - it's by the Union Sqaure, in front of the cable car, and blocks away from the BART Stn, also close to the Westfield Mall plus all of the well-known brand names like Tiffany, Macy's etc.. There's Walgreen and Starbucks around the corner. I felt safe in the area in general, though I did have various homeless people approaching me for money.

I requested a room on a higher level after I read the review about the live band. I got a room on the 9th floor, honestly I could still hear the music, I didn't mind it too much, however I could imagine someone staying at a lower floor may not always appreciate that.

In the room, it's pretty well-stocked - I made a note of the things that were conveniently placed in the room - you have in the closet: safe, umbrella, heater, extra bath tissues, extra toilet papers, blanket, comforter, luggage stands, hangers, iron & iron board. The bottle opener was mounted near the bathroom door; the blow dryer was in a sack hung behind the bathroom door; tissue paper box was also mounted on the bathroom wall. There was a desk and several lamps - it's got USB plugs for your iPhone etc.. LCD TV, 3 chairs, fridge, ceiling fan (no air conditioning at this hotel). Pretty much all you need is readily available. The only complaint I had would be the water pressure for the shower was a bit lacking, but it's useable.

I also enjoyed the free cookies, water, tea/coffee at the lobby, and I really liked the mobile app on my iPhone - I was curious to see if it actually worked and if anyone actually manages that, so I sent a request for more toilet papers, and within minutes I got them - very impressed!

I also had brunch at the Luques downstairs - the front desk gave me a discount voucher for the restaurant and I tried it. I would have to say the service was attentive and the food was delicious, so I would recommend it to anyone.

Overall I enjoyed my stay there very much and I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the higher floor if you don't like noise
Green Features: This hotel is very environmentally-friendly, and I appreciate that.
1 Thank iamjava
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you! I honestly believe that is someone does their research and selects the Chancellor Hotel because they want a historical, 3 star, boutique hotel experience in a great location, they will be happy. AND...if they did their research, they will know that if they are not happy for any reason, let us know and we will make things right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were looking for a reasonably priced (for SF) hotel on US. After doing research, mostly on TA, we decided on the Chancellor. We were so happy with our choice. Yes, the room is small..(very clean!) but we were there for 5 nites and found it to be just fine (bathroom could be a bit bigger) The staff was wonderful, the location can't be beat, and the whole ambiance was charming. We had requested a quiet room away from the street. We got it and slept with windows open and the ceiling fan on. I thought we would be able to hear noise from the other rooms...not a bit. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you like quiet, ask for room away from Powell St.
1 Thank lululemon
Delta, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our first time in SF and the Chancellor was recommend to us from a friend and I'm so glad we listend. When we arrived to the hotel we chose the BART system which cost about $7.05 a person from the Oakland airport you get off on Powell street and walk up four block to the hotel. We had arrived early to the hotel and didn't think we would be able to check in but we were greeted by friendly staff who informed us our room was ready and that we could go up and get settled. The room was very clean and comfortable once we were settled we went back down to the lobby and talked with the tour information inside the hotel, who was also very helpful and friendly. The cable car stop right front of the hotel or a few steps down to go the other way. Lots of shopping in the area, Cheesecake Factory in Macy's and another restaurant next door if you don't want to eat in the hotel. At night we could hear a trumpet player or bag pipes being played but we didn't mind. We would stay at the Chancellor Hotel again it is in a great location, clean hotel and great staff!!

LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
Reviewed March 30, 2014

It is all about location. This is a nice hotel, rooms are a little on the small side, queen size bed, and room enough for 2 chairs, and cocktail table. View fro our room was a rusty fire escape, and Dept. Store. We are just about across the street from Central Park. The trolly runs up and down the block outside of your window, so you DO get the sounds of the city with the window open. The bar in the Hotel is nothing, so many other Happy Hours all over town. So many restaurants and Bars in walking distance.

Room Tip: We had room 702, I believe all the rooms have basically the same view. Maybe a back room might be a...
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Always my choice for a stay in SF - if you drive, get the package w/ parking and $25 food credit...it's a screamin' deal. Luques serves up fine breakfasts in an inviting atmosphere, right in the hotel.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are on the back side, away from the street. Fun rooms are up front w/ cable cars passin...
Green Features: Hotel encourages guests to re-use linens and includes a separate recycle bag to dispose of aluminum, plastic, etc.
1 Thank Traveling-Alaska
prague
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Perfect location to start any city tour. It was close to BART, bus transportation and the cable cars.The rooms were a bit noisy as the street is very busy but it was actually kind of nice because you could hear wonderful street musicians in the rooms facing the front. One night there was trumpet music and another night we heard bagpipes. The shopping was nice in this area but big retailers and not many smaller shops. The restaurants in the area were not that nice but other restaurants could be reached by cab. The service was very good and the front desk did a wonderful job helping and accommodating our needs. The pillow selections were a good idea too. If you want a drink at the "bar" get there by 10! The breakfast menu was really good too!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the front of the building but could be noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We were looking for a great boutique style motel in San Francisco, looking on trip advisor we found the Chancellor. What a find, the 100 year privately own little gem is fantastic, great location with fantastic rates. The staff are fantastic & nothing is a trouble. The free cookies, apples, muffins, chilled water & sometimes popcorn is a real bonus. The rooms are well maintained with separate bathroom & walking wardrobe. There are many motels in San Francisco but it would be hard to go past this one. We are here for a week & will definitely be back,

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street view.
Green Features: They truly encourage environmentally friendly practices, but do not throw it down your throught.
3 Thank David H