“Nice find at a nice price in Union Square”

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Ranked #18 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Very pleased with the attentiveness from the moment I called to make a reservation to check-out. (Our normal standard being Hilton branded hotels). Friendly staff and quick to please, the rooms are just as stated on the web-site, so be prepared for smaller rooms which are so typical of older (but no less finer) hotels we have stayed at in other major European cities. Rooms facing Powell can be a little noisy but with the windows closed, street sounds all but disappear, and with the ceiling fans, you still get the air moving without feeling stuffy stale air. One small point I really appreciated, was the wall ventilation control in the bathroom which can be left "On" or "Automatic", something that most older hotels lack, so it was nice to get out of the shower without stepping up to a steam-filled mirror or damp clothes you take into the bathroom. Special commendation to Mao our restaurant server both days of our stay, who was very keen to make sure we were well taken care of while dining; I just wish we were able to take him with us wherever we dine out as it seems service is always hit and miss elsewhere (for instance the "miss" at the "Sears" next door!)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RichardCalif_
Write a ReviewReviews (5,397)

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location to the visit the sites. Being on Union Street it is ideal for the trams.
The hotel is very nice and the staff are very friendly. They have a nice touch were there is free coffee and biscuits in the reception for all hotel guests. This was great when coming back from seeing the sites and first thing in the morning.
The room was spacious clean and very comfortable and the breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank derehambuck
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am so happy I listened to others on Trip Advisor that recommended The Chancellor Hotel. I could not have been happier with my hotel choice! I actually miss the bed now that I am back home! So comfortable! The pillows were really comfy, too! I was on the 3rd floor and faced Powell Street and had a view of Scala's Bistro across the street - so enticing that I ate there for lunch and enjoyed it! Around 8 or 9 pm, I was serenaded by a trumpet player from somewhere outside...seems like this person liked to play just as I was laying down to sleep - back home it was 11 pm / midnight so I was beat and couldn't get on the right time to enjoy the late night life but I enjoyed it though. The music was lovely. I love the city and it's noise! I really enjoyed being at the heart of it all. The cable car stopped right in front of the hotel but basically I could walk everywhere I wanted to go from the hotel. The hotel was clean, housekeeping was great, the front desk and tour desk staff were helpful and kind, and the restaurant was delish! I will definately come back to visit and stay at The Chancellor again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank sweetsugartree
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Oh how I wish everyone was like this!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

My partner and stayed at the Chancellor Hotel for 2 nights in January 2014. Booking was seamless, check in quick (room was ready when we arrived). Fantastic location right next to Union Square (great shopping). The room was spacious and clean with lots of hangers in the cupboard. Staff were friendly (when we first got to our floor the cleaner noticed us not knowing where to find our room and directed us). Cannot make a complaint about this hotel. The only reason I have given it 4 instead of 5/5 is because it met all of our expectations rather than exceeding them (which we didn't expect). True score 4.5 out of 5. Thank you for a lovely stay, if we find ourselves in SF again we'll stay there and will definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katyannakelly
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you. In the future...go ahead and round up on your score.
Happy travels.

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

The location is located centrally to many SF "must see's" and shopping. We were concerned it would be loud as it is older and on a busy street...not the case. Very quiet! Staff was friendly, rooms clean and loved that there was a Starbucks on the corner. Would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Terri E

What is "loud" and "too noisy" is subjective. Not to mention, can depend on the location of the room. We definitely try to provide a quiet sleep experience, but between the building noises, City noises and other guest noises we do not guarantee a noise free environment. However, this guest, and many like her, stay with us and find they can have a great stay and not be negatively affected by noise. You never know! I would suggest light sleepers and people that can be annoyed by noises that can not be controlled skip the Chancellor.

If one is bothered by noise, we are always willing to do what we can to mitigate the situation by room moves, ear plugs, white noise machines or whatever we can. Just let us know.

Thanks!

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I booked this hotel thanks to TripAdvisor on the say-so of its many reviews. The reviews were spot on: the service is great, the location is fantastic and the rooms are small but clean. Our logic when booking this is we're going to be out the whole time and we want somewhere central. The money we saved on accommodation we poured into dinner. And it was worth it. Parking is more expensive than in LA but when you follow their advice it works well. (We were able to pull up out the front no problem and we asked for our car in 30 minutes while we ate breakfast so it was there when we were ready. If you want somewhere comfy to rest your head in a central location, for not too much money, this is your hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up or on the far side of the property (or keep your windows shut!)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Wanda6969
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

I couldn't agree more! Thank you.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights while on our honeymoon.

Firstly the hotel is in a great location. You can get to it easily from the airport and then walk to a lot of the San Fran attractions from it. As we were on our honeymoon the hotel gave us a small bottle of Cava and chocolates in our room which was a really nice touch.

The room itself was clean and tastefully decorated. It was perhaps a little small, but nothing worth complaining about.

The staff were also really friendly. Offering us tips on what to do in the area, letting us use their phone and having lots of free cookies and apples in reception.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Fran and hope to return one day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple