“A friendly hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“A friendly hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed there one night, and I regret moving to another hotel. I think the location is fabulous with great amenities.

Yes the hotel is small and the rooms as well, but it is very cozy, clean and comfortable. When I stayed there the weather was OK so I didnt need a heater nor an A/C.

The personnel is great and the free wifi is a great addition. Usually hotels charge for wifi and when a place offers free wifi you appreciated their hospitality.

24 free coffee and tea in the lobby.

I personally like hard beds, but theirs was ok as well.

I highly suggest staying there

Room Tip: I would suggest a room away from the street, but please understand this is the busiest place in SF...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Ramintor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pierre Part, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Excellent rooms, service, and location yet was priced the lowest compared to the hotels within union square. They offer a free upgrade (if available), which we accepted, that put us in a room that overlooked the park in union square. The trolley also stops by the hotel which we rode to Lombard street.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank impaler96
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

First time in San Francisco, I wanted accommodation that was central yet affordable and I can recommend this as fitting both requirements.

We got twin beds on the 5th floor, with a view of Powell St and a bit of Union Square. The room was as expected with a TV, a desk and a mini fridge. I was once again surprised there was no coffee maker/tea in the room. They do however have complimentary coffee/tea downstairs at the bar.
The bathroom was a bit smaller than expected and had a shower/bathtub combination. It was clean though and came with the usual shampoo/conditioner and soap.
There is a walk-in closet with plenty of space, so that was really great cos we stored our extra luggage in there.
Like the website states, they do not have air conditioning. They do however have fans, but as we were there mid-November and we had the windows slightly open, the fan was hardly used.

The decor is a bit old-fashioned, but the hotel has been around since 1914, so it does look good for its age.
The staff are friendly especially the Asian lady housekeeper who makes an effort to greet guests every morning.

I really liked the fact that it was centrally located, but away from the crowds. From this hotel, it is an easy 10 minute stroll to the Chinatown gates and an even shorter stroll to the main shopping district of Union Square, its surroundings and Westfield.
Mind you, I also walked to Alamo Square to see the Painted Ladies. It was about an half hour walk. Did I mention Designer Shoe Warehouse was next door?

As one of the cable car stops were located on Powell St, each time it dinged, we could hear it. It didn't affect our sleep, however the rubbish truck (or so I was told) did affect my mother's sleep.

Overall, our stay here made our trip to San Fran a memorable one and it has become one of my cities! Would highly recommend to friends.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WLH_Oz
Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great, very central location. Good rates. Queen bed room was a bit smaller than what my husband and I were used to, but bearable as we didn't spend a lot of time in room. Also, our room was on 2nd floor, so we heard minor to moderate levels of traffic noise. Free coffee/tea/cookies 24/7 was a plus!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Athena K
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at the Chancellor (usually a week beginning January 1st) and I would definitely return a next time. The hotel is very old but they do an amazing job of keeping it clean. They will vacuum even under the bed, lifting them up if needed. I was impressed by the thoroughness.

As mentioned in the room tip, the corner room I was first assigned to proved to be very loud with the sound of clanging pipes in the early hours of the day. Staff was very accommodating in changing rooms even though I am sure they were quite packed for the holidays.

One of the biggest reasons I stay at the Chancellor is because of their arrangement with a local fitness club. The latter have a wonderful lap pool where you can reserve a lane for a time period and the gym is well equipped with the latest machines. Towels and lockers are provided free of charge to hotel guests.

During this visit I attended a magic show that was held inside the hotel restaurant. It was half price admission for guests. The show runs three nights a week, Thursday thru Saturday and I can't recommend it enough. Very entertaining, the host takes you to a time long past, telling interesting stories while incorporating a magic trick with each tale. And don't be surprised if you get volunteered to assist. This show has lots of audience participation, which makes it more fun, and was not uncomfortable in any way. Great experience!

As others have mentioned, the location is excellent. Just being half a block from the actual Union Square, you're close to all amenities, including the 24/7 Walgreens, bus stops, cable cars, and shopping Mecca. Couldn't really do much better than the Chancellor!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at time of booking. Make sure it's not the back corner, otherwise, the pipe...
Green Features: There are two receptacles in the lobby for recycling. However I would have liked to see one in the room as well.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Behrcat
Whangarei, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked this hotel after reading some excellent reviews about it and we were not disappointed in the slightest. By booking direct with the hotel, we got a much better room rate than the lowest online line rate and as a bonus we received a bunch of free restaurant vouchers for their restaurant which by the way serves delicious breakfasts that taste as good as they look. Our room on the 13th floor was not huge but it was very quiet and clean with quality furnishings(we took the option of the quiet back room with not much of a view instead of one of the front street rooms ). the bed was super comfy with quality linen and fluffy towels and whilst the shower water pressure is not great, bath salts and a cute yellow duck are thoughtfully provided for a wonderful bedtime soak. The restaurant is really nice with professional friendly staff who seem to take pride in their work. The lobby has a constant supply of free hot beverages , homemade large biscuits (I think you call them cookies) apples, and sometimes muffins and popcorn. they also supply a range of specialty pillows at no cost and they were happy to service our room at any time of the day. Our thanks to all the staff who made our stay in SF a special one and a special Hi to Kent the doorman for being so friendly and cute. There were 4 of us in 2 bedrooms for 5 nights and none of us has a bad word to say about this hotel, it oozed old world charm with thoughtful attention to detail without being old fashioned . We can certainly recommend this hotel without any hesitation or reservation, best value hotel for this fantastic location in the heart of the city centre.

Room Tip: the back rooms are very quiet
Green Features: They provide separate bins for recycling and encourage patrons to consider the need for new towels every day.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank CarmelH795
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel with lots of character. Lovely warm welcome and an excellent location for getting around with a cable car stop right outside. Only stayed two nights but would like to have stayed longer. Good quality furnishings. Rooms are a little small but have great character as it is an old hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple