“Perfect Honeymoon Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect Honeymoon Stay”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We first stayed in the Chancellor in May 2012 so when it came to booking our Honeymoon in the states this year we had no hesitation in choosing this hotel again. We were made to feel really welcome by the girl on reception and were efficiently checked in to our room on the 11th floor. On entering the room we found chocolates and bubbly waiting for us which was a really nice touch. We love this hotel for the service and location, neither of which can be beaten in the area, we believe. I can't believe some of the negative reviews regarding the room sizes and the noise levels. Yes, the rooms are small but they are well appointed and have everything you would need - telly, fridge, free wifi, choice of pillows, sweeties. We never wanted for anything but I'm sure if we did we would have been accommodated. We also love the 'noise' coming from outside. The bells from the cable cars and the musicians on the square provide great atmosphere and I always opened the window to hear them better. It was great being able to go downstairs each morning to get my coffee and cookies. Took less than 5 minutes to do that. There are loads of good local eateries around and we were given great recommendations from the barman. Union square is a great area to hang around at night but transport is good if you fancy going further afield. We enjoyed getting the cable car (or walking) to North Beach and there are bus and tram stops close by too. I could go on but I guess a lot has been said before. Users of tripadvisor have no excuse if they don't like what they find here. It's a 3 star hotel with small rooms, great service, everything you need and in a fantastic location. I don't think we'd ever choose anywhere else.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing Union Square
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Billy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Nice comfortable rooms (we came and went three times) and always well serviced by friendly housekeeping staff. A real bonus having an attached walk in wardrobe and baggage room which avoided the clutter we usually create whenever we move into a new room. Highly functional with all expected conveniences right down to plenty of jackpoints to plug in and recharge smartphone / Ipad etc from. One absence however was air conditioning. However, when we located the Chancellor on line it was clear from the outset their rooms only have a ceiling fan so we arrived with our eyes open. (This was adequate for our October Indian Summer month visit). Although only two lifts they were quite speedy and we never waited more than a minute. One room we had difficulty with the card access which took a bit of manipulation before working, we endured but when we did report this it was rectified immediately. All staff were consistently courteous and helpful. The 24/7 lobby located 'help yourself' real coffee and tea machine was great, particularly when you factor in the decadent multi flavoured syrups and freshly baked cookies. I was silly enough to leave a recently purchased SF Giants cap in the lobby during checkout. I had already lost another hat on a bus two days earlier so was kicking myself this new hat was about to share the same fate. Upon return to new Zealand I phoned the Chancellor and asked if they would post my hat back, at my expense. Less than a fortnight later my hat arrived with the Chancellor Hotel's complements. Old fashioned hotel hospitality in a pay as you go society, we were most impressed. This coupled with the Chancellor's excellent location and 'across the road' proximity to Union Square. One tip to those from outside the US.....check out the DSW shoe store next door....a shoe Disneyland ! (I've got the credit card statement to prove it) .
We really enjoyed our time at the Chancellor and if we return to San Francisco will definitely stay here again....no hesitation.

Room Tip: Room 4 on each floor has the walk in wardrobe PLUS immediate access to the fire escape if this makes...
Green Features: Reusable bath towel and bedsheet regime. Ceiling Fan - no air conditioning easier on the environment.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank joemillsnz
South West
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Nice comfortable bed and clean linen. There was a bath tub with a shower in it. There was a coffee maker in the room and free tea/coffee (and cookies) in the foyer. There is a PC next to the front office that you can use and print from for free. I didn’t have breakfast in this hotel but it is available. There is a small friendly bar in the hotel – I had a curious margarita served in a tumbler! Very strong! Union Square is a stone’s throw away as is Macy’s, Bloomingdales, Levi’s etc and you can do a lot of shopping here if you don’t mind dodging the homeless beggars. I’ve never seen so many people with mental health problems in one place, very odd, next to Jimmy Choo’s and Luis Vuitton shops… very sad. You can buy a travel pass ($28 for a seven day Passport) which allows you to go on all buses, trams and cable cars. The cable car goes up Powell Street (avoid the queue/line by waiting a couple of stops up the hill…). The staff were friendly, there is a tour guide who can advise you on transport and what’s on. A nice hotel but really I think I would prefer to stay in the Mission district next time – a bit more real!

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor and the street noise was a little noisy but there is a fan over the bed so yo...
Green Features: Sheets and towels are not washed if you indicate that is your preference - they will change everything if you don't leave the sign on the bed or the towels on the floor! Pretty good policy I reckon.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JustBristol
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
"Nothing exceptional but fine" - that's the Chancellor Hotel! I think that is the definition of a 3 star hotel. When you want an exceptional hotel you go for 4 and 5 star hotels. However, I will say that for a 3 star hotel, I think we are better than most of the other 3 star hotels around us in Union Square - and some of the recent reviewers that know our competition agree with me.

Not sure why the Margarita was curious. I have had Margaritas served in wine glasses, highball glasses, buckets, tumblers, fish bowls and giant goblets as well as the El Torito typical Margarita glass. I don't know that there are any rules on type of glass a bar should use. It just depends on their style. I don't know if very strong is bad or good. That depends on the person as well. However, we are always happy to make a drink exactly how someone likes it. so if they don't like the glass, taste or strength, just let us know and we will fix just how you want it.
Cairo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I like this amazing hotel very much for many reasons ;
1- very clean and comfortable room ( it is small but nice).
2- the location is ideal :
It so close to the shopping centres like macsy's and ,to cable car station and to Many restaurants and cafes ( like Starbucks) which usually close the doors late than the rest of San Francisco,
3-friendly staff , they advised me about the city .Also they helped with smile to print my e-tickets .when I needed empty boxes (to send my books and documents via mail office home )and scale to check the total weights , they surprised me with them .I can't thank them enough .
I felt it is expensive but worth it and definitely I will choose Chancellor hotel if I visit San Francisco again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hayia
Monrovia, California
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have stayed at the Chancellor Hotel for many years and have always been very comfortable and pleased with our room and hotel staff. It is always a pleasure to be greeted by Harris and Sue. We have recommended the hotel to friends who wanted comfort, a great location,
and affordable rates. The restaurant in the lobby is excellent, as is the staff.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms facing Powell.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed at chancellor on our honeymoon for first part of our tour round the states,staff fantastic from the reception too the guys who valet park your car,perfect location near the square the hotel rooms are clean comfortable and more than big enough we had a lovely room on the 2nd floor looking out onto the cable cars. Bathroom was a little dated but I'm not marking them down for that (nice touch was the chancellor rubber duck in the bathroom!!!) worth the money wouldn't hesitate in staying again.

Room Tip: As for a room on the front over looking the cable cars on the street
Green Features: If you want towels changing everyday they will but they do say if you don't it would help the enviroment
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigalb2013
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you. You are right about the bathroom and I appreciate that you did not let that take away from what sounds like a good stay with us. We are working on the bathrooms and look for some improvements in the next year.
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2013

It's not a fancy place, but a "classic" SF hotel. Very conveniently located, friendly staff, free Wi-Fi and a nice clean room. In fact, the auxiliary outlet makes using a laptop and other electronic devicies very easy to use and charge. A very affordable place. Have stayed there many times and never a bad experience. Right next to some great comfort food places, which is great. I have not tried the hotel's restaurant, but plan to next time I'm there. Room even has a mini-fridge and in-room safe. The only thing I wish they had was a second lock, as while there is a deadbolt, it does open with the room key. Starbuck's, 24 Hour Fitness, etc. all nearby and if you have to go further, there is always the BART. If you do need to catch a cab to the airport, best to make a reservation with the "tour desk" ahead of time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Randall K
Wes_Tyler_GM, General Manager at Chancellor Hotel on Union Square, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
It is always nice when people know what they are getting and appreciate it. I did just want to clarify one mis-understanding. The deadbolts can be opened by a regular key or even a master key. It takes a special key located in a lock box to open a guest room door that has the deadbolt engaged. For emergency evacuation purposes, the deadbolt will be released from the inside as well as the regular lock when the door handle is used.

Thanks for staying with us!